GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a tesla for a test ride, now I,m hooked. I don't care how nice an ice is, it will never compare to an ev. I started with a fusion hybrid, traded it for a 2016 volt, which I think is great and fun to drive. I just can't justify spending that much for a tesla. Now the wait for the bolt. Eight months is a long wait. I did get my volt in October, maybe bolt will be the same. Any tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I live close to a high-volume Volt dealer that I've had good experiences with. I'm going to be calling them to see what I need to do to get on a wait list. Some forum members seem to have good systems for ordering early, so I'm sure more details will come.

My main concern right now is whether I can absorb the total interest reduction for this year, because I'm going to have a lot of other things offsetting that. However, my tax situation is not going to get any better the following year (in fact, it might get worse).

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
If you buy early you will pay top dollar. Why not wait a bit and see what else comes out
In my opinion, the only reason to do that is if you want to gamble that the Bolt's MSRP will drop between the MY 2017 and MY 2018. It might happen, but you're waiting a long time to see. For me, the Bolt will be saving me at least $100 a month in fuel expense, and that's if gas prices stay where they are.

The other thing is, no other no-compromise EVs for under $40,000 are even on the horizon. If you don't already have a reservation on a Model 3, the best you can hope for is to get one about mid-2019.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I took a tesla for a test ride, now I,m hooked. I don't care how nice an ice is, it will never compare to an ev. I started with a fusion hybrid, traded it for a 2016 volt, which I think is great and fun to drive. I just can't justify spending that much for a tesla. Now the wait for the bolt. Eight months is a long wait. I did get my volt in October, maybe bolt will be the same. Any tips will be appreciated.
I suggest taking a cold shower to get over car fever. Trading cars ever few months is likely hammering your pocketbook. Just save diligently and maybe you can even afford buying a new tesla. I plan to, but only if I can pay cash for it. The volt is an awesome car, just be content with it until it's thoroughly worn out, the. Look for whatever is new in 10 years or so. By then Teslas will be cheaper as if you save a car payment every month along the way, you could afford a model S by then

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, I had the fusion for a few years, and plan to keep the volt even when I get the bolt.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
..... Now the wait for the bolt. Eight months is a long wait. ..... Any tips will be appreciated.
Grease some palms with your local 'Sales Professionals'. They are hungry dogs after all. They'd gladly sell you their first.

Or find out where the very first Bolts will be delivered and call that 'internet sales person'. Tell them you are willing to pay the extra 'Dealer Added Profits' (or whatever they call it now). They'll sell you the first one ,,, for a price !

Ship it, or be adventurous and figure out how to drive home the First Affordable +200 mile BEV on market !!

I couldn't wait. I bought GM's second BEV. I put ~140 miles on it yesterday. You gotz to have DCFC. 82 mile epa range works for me !!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I suggest taking a cold shower to get over car fever. Trading cars ever few months is likely hammering your pocketbook.
I agree, but I've been waiting to buy an electric car for a few years now, and I'm of an age where the longer I wait the less time I'll have to enjoy it. My wife passed away about a year and a half ago, and it really makes you realize that you'd better enjoy life while you can. I've got the money, so for the first time in my life I'm going to go ahead and buy a car because I want it and not because it makes any economic sense. I've spent my whole life saving, and I think that now is as good a time as any to start reaping the benefits.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I agree, but I've been waiting to buy an electric car for a few years now, and I'm of an age where the longer I wait the less time I'll have to enjoy it. My wife passed away about a year and a half ago, and it really makes you realize that you'd better enjoy life while you can. I've got the money, so for the first time in my life I'm going to go ahead and buy a car because I want it and not because it makes any economic sense. I've spent my whole life saving, and I think that now is as good a time as any to start reaping the benefits.
Interestingly enough, my wife almost died 3 weeks ago of anemia from internal bleeding, but luckily she's still alive and kicking. But it is really making me seriously consider retiring early to spend time with her before anything else like this happens. I'm only 50 years old, an I have plenty in my nest egg from 27 years of saving in several 401Ks. The only problem is that I cannot access my money yet. I spent way too much on the house and didn't save enough in non-retirement accounts, but was frugal with the cars (4 cars, 2 used, 2 new but heavily discounted like they were used, each under $23k since we got married 22 years ago).

I can't wait until to be in your situation where I can just buy whatever I want, pay cash for it, and not care whether I got a screaming deal of the decade (though I might still haggle like a Ferengi).

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I wonder if you can transfer some of your 401k into paying off the house? With stock investments, I've been told that it is seen as a straight transfer from one capital investment to another (i.e., no penalties or additional taxes).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Interestingly enough, my wife almost died 3 weeks ago of anemia from internal bleeding, but luckily she's still alive and kicking. But it is really making me seriously consider retiring early to spend time with her before anything else like this happens. I'm only 50 years old, an I have plenty in my nest egg from 27 years of saving in several 401Ks.
I was very lucky because I entered the workforce during a time of high inflation and we were able to buy a modest house in a good location. Despite interest rates rising every year (to a high of 18.5% in the last year!!!), our monthly payments went down each time because I was getting raises at or above the inflation rate and was able to put everything extra into paying down the mortgage. Inflation is your friend when you owe a lot of money - we were able to pay our mortgage off in 5 years. After that our very small living expenses meant a lot of money went into savings. I'm still living in the same house, so I've never had to use any of that savings for upsizing or additional real estate fees.

I got forced into retirement when I was 50 because the company I was working for was bought out. Fortunately between the settlement and the contingency I had saved up I was able to coast along until my pension kicked in at age 55 without having to dip into my main savings fund. The Great Recession happened during those years and it was scary, but I resisted cashing in my investments and it was the right call.

I was a bit resentful about having been "put out to pasture", but when my wife passed away at age 59 I realized that the decade of free time I'd had to spend with her was a real blessing.

Saving is prudent, but you can't put time in the bank. Use it wisely before it runs out.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Similar here. My wife passed three years ago. Bought an ELR for my 61st birthday. Sweet ride.

If I was that EV crazy I would buy a Model S.

MS won't work for me since there are not enough SCs in the midwest yet. Bolt doesn't have ACC, so, no sale. I'll stick with ELR for a while.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Just check these two countdown timers...and be glad you are only having to wait for a Bolt...:)
Wait for the Bolt
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/chevy-bolt-countdown-clock
Wait for the TM3
https://countingdownto.com/countdown/tesla-model-3-updated-countdown-clock

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Compare it to the wait for a Model 3 and maybe 8 months won't seem so bad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think in my case I had to think about the why. People have constantly come at me about my Volt for example regarding practicalities as they see it and I simply say I bought the Volt because it is in synch with my values and therefore I wanted it..........end of discussion.

My Volt was my gateway to the Bolt. So yes I really want it and therefore the wait is difficult. My Volt lease goes to 1/17 so that makes the wait a little easier.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think in my case I had to think about the why. People have constantly come at me about my Volt for example regarding practicalities as they see it and I simply say I bought the Volt because it is in synch with my values and therefore I wanted it..........end of discussion.
It amuses me that people tie themselves in knots working out the economics of an electric car (either to justify buying one or to "prove" that it doesn't make sense to) while at the same time nobody bats an eye when someone buys a luxury car. Why is it that luxury car owners are given a "pass" on vehicle ownership economics while EV drivers aren't?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts