GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Great story. But when you think about it, another great joy is not having to go to the gas station all the time. We used to go twice every week, at least once per car. Now we probably go once every couple of months. So every couple of months you're avoiding the worst consumer experience 15 times! The net result is that, over the course of a year, you get to keep three days of your life and you can lower your stress levels at the same time. And you pay less!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Pep Boys was never the same after they made Manny get rid of his cigar.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good article, and this was part of my thinking also when I bought the Volt. I wanted a reliable machine with less maintenance. I was tired of all the dishonest dealership service places. For gas, I've been carrying around the same 2 gallons or less since a road trip on Thanksgiving. Seven months without stopping at a gas station!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Really pep boys? The ones real repair I had by them 10+years ago the ****ed up. I ended up getting the repair for free plus a nice check. If you take your car to a place like this you deserve what you get

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Great story. But when you think about it, another great joy is not having to go to the gas station all the time. We used to go twice every week, at least once per car. Now we probably go once every couple of months. So every couple of months you're avoiding the worst consumer experience 15 times! The net result is that, over the course of a year, you get to keep three days of your life and you can lower your stress levels at the same time. And you pay less!
It is a great story.

It hasn't radically changed our gas station experience:
1) Gas stations aren't very busy in my (small) city (at least for gas), and the gas station we normally use is only half a mile from my house, so it's not a really big deal to stop there anyway.
2) We go a bit less, but not that much less, especially in winter, because the Volt took over "shared" car duties from our Prius, and:
a) the Prius has much better gas mpg, especially in winter
b) the Prius has a bigger fuel tank (11.9 gal, "0" is just above 9.5 gal)
c) my wife isn't so range and mpg-aware and is scared of the LOW warning so she's more likely to want to fill just in case
d) I like to fill up at a particular chain
Fewer gallons and fewer gas miles per fill-up raises the number of fill-ups.
3) Premium gas is more volatile than regular so it's stinkier.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
So he got fed up because he feels stupid for agreeing to go ahead with a transmission change at 120k (probably 2 litres worth for a manual), which was almost certainly a good call and I can't see why he's got a problem with that, but then claims the Volt requires less maintenance with a transmission change due at 100k (probably 6 litres worth)?

Not sure I follow....

Vauxhall do not recommend any changes at all for the Ampera transmission. 'Sealed for life' as far as they are concerned. Which is worse - to need oil changes, or to NOT need them?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Chain repair shops are to be avoided... But you went through the manual with the service writer when the services were selected. In the future will you complain about service the Volt will need?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The oil change interval was definitely a plus for me. I change my own, but it is a pain in the winter. With my commute I was changing the oil in my Prius every 6-8 weeks. Projection with the Volt is every 6-9 months or so (insufficient data to narrow it down any better yet).

My Prius went to a quicklube place ONE TIME, during a stretch of - 20F overnight temps in January. Ever since it has used a quart every 5000 miles and the valves have rattled. No quick lubes for my Volt, or any other vehicle I own...

Anyone had luck finding full-synthetic 0W-30 (for winter)? All I'm finding locally in zero-weight is 0W20.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Ranting because he doesn't think he needs to change transmission fluid on a manual trans car??

Idiot.
That was my thought. Even manual transmission fluid needs refreshing.

I will say though, a service advisors job is also to educate their customer. Its not reasonable for some not in the car business to know why a fluid needs replacing.... That's why they pay someone else to do it.

The advisor should have explained it. However, Pep Boys doesn't pay great, and you get what you pay for. The advisor was a simple order taker.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Anyone had luck finding full-synthetic 0W-30 (for winter)? All I'm finding locally in zero-weight is 0W20.
Why a 0-30?

·
Registered
464 Posts
0W30 is specified for low-temperature operation. Just planning ahead for those -30F and lower mornings we get up here in January and February...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
0W30 is specified for low-temperature operation. Just planning ahead for those -30F and lower mornings we get up here in January and February...
Where is this speced? owners manual?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chain repair shops are to be avoided... But you went through the manual with the service writer when the services were selected. In the future will you complain about service the Volt will need?
I had already gone through the manual on my own, and I could not make sense of it. The issue is not about getting service that I needed (which I'm perfectly fine doing), it was that I went to "someone" who I thought I could trust, but realized that I couldn't (in this case, the store manager). After I questioned the service, no one made a case for it; e.g., "Yes, you REALLY do need it at this point." Instead, I got the "preventative service" responsive. Having to find a smaller shop and build a relationship for the sole purpose of not getting ripped off elsewhere blows my mind too. If everything in life was like this, we would be stuck in a state of "paralysis analysis".

The bigger point is that I realized that I was wasting a lot of time and money getting my car serviced; the Volt itself doesn't require a whole lot. For example, not having to get gas when I'm already late for an appointment has been absolutely AMAZING!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I believe that Mobil One synthetic oil 0w30 can be used where 5w30 is called for. I believe this is listed
in back of the oil container...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I believe that Mobil One synthetic oil 0w30 can be used where 5w30 is called for. I believe this is listed
in back of the oil container...
0w30 can be used in cold climates, so it's ok as long as it's also Dexos approved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts