GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the "service high voltage charging system" back in April. Thanks to the info on here I took it into chevy and they told me my coolant was low but there were no leaks they could find so after topping me off and resetting the system I was back in business. Then yesterday I was driving and got the message AGAIN! This time I do some research on here and find what levels my fluid should be at and it's definitely low so I'm guessing this is what caused it. So how often should I be topping it off myself and does it seem odd that it has dropped so fast?

In the pic the dark arrow is where I'm supposed to be but the lighter arrow is where I'm at since being topped off in April. Should I be worried that there is a leak? I'm going to take it in no matter what but would like at least some knowledge prior to going in.
Fluid Level Electronics Coolant.jpg Fluid Level Electronics Coolant.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
The manual recommends checking monthly, but that assumes every thing being normal. You have a leak somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
you "should" be checking it at least monthly. How many people actually do that though?
You should NOT be topping it off yourself. It shouldn't be dropping at any significant rate. I just popped my hood 2 days ago to fill the windshield washer fluid, and my level was still at the top line. It hasn't been touched in almost a year.

Take it back to the dealer and have them leak test it again.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
You don't say what year you have.

Your fluid level should not drop by half in 5 or 6 months. It should stay the same or perhaps drop by 1/8 inch or so. You have a leak somewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The ONLY other possibility is that the coolant wasn't topped off to the label. That's possible because of changes in the recommended levels might confuse a technician. Otherwise you definitely have a coolant leak. I've had my car for over four years and in that entire time I don't think it's dropped by even an eighth of an inch. Did you check the level when they filled it?

This is BTW why I think it might not have been filled to the correct line. If you were losing that much coolant that fast I'd think you'd be seeing it on the garage floor. The fact you're not seeing it (I'm assuming that if you were you'd mention this) suggests either there hasn't been a leak or it's going somewhere it shouldn't be (less likely).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The ONLY other possibility is that the coolant wasn't topped off to the label. That's possible because of changes in the recommended levels might confuse a technician. Otherwise you definitely have a coolant leak. I've had my car for over four years and in that entire time I don't think it's dropped by even an eighth of an inch. Did you check the level when they filled it?

This is BTW why I think it might not have been filled to the correct line. If you were losing that much coolant that fast I'd think you'd be seeing it on the garage floor. The fact you're not seeing it (I'm assuming that if you were you'd mention this) suggests either there hasn't been a leak or it's going somewhere it shouldn't be (less likely).
That's a good point that I didn't consider. Last year there was a technical service recall to fill the tank to the top line. The previous service required only to be filled to the center of the tank. If the tech only filled it to the center line, it's possible that there was just a small amount of air that worked its way out.
Regardless, the technician will perform a leak check and they should fill it to the top (I would confirm yourself once you get it back).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't say what year you have.

Your fluid level should not drop by half in 5 or 6 months. It should stay the same or perhaps drop by 1/8 inch or so. You have a leak somewhere.
Oops sorry about that! It's a 2012 Volt with 48,0000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No I did not check after they filled it the last time but thanks to this site I now know what to look for/at so I'll do that after I take it in on Saturday. And ya I've looked for any drips or puddles but I haven't seen anything. They said they checked for leaks before and didn't find any so maybe they just didn't fill it properly? Either way I'm a bit more informed than I was the first time I went in thanks to everyone here (I only had the car for 2 months at the time) so I'll be sure to check levels myself afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts