Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Almost always

Votes: 123 45.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use it every day, except on rare occasions when I know I'm going back out, say on a weekend.

I have my schedule set to have my car fully charged for 7am monday through friday, on delayed charging.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use mine regularly M-F, to be ready to leave by 5:00am. While in Texas I don't have peak/off peak rates, I'm at least trying to be "grid friendly" since the highest usage is late afternoon through early/late evening.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I would have chosen NEVER if that had been a choice. It's a pain to set the charger and if there is any confusion you can end up without any charge. Charging immediately means that I'm always at full charge and ready to go. If I had a separate meter and a good rate I'd probably do it at least some of the time, but the utilities are setting the rates, and if the rates are the same regardless of the time of day then the utility is telling me is to charge when it suits me not them.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
I use 110v and plugin when the car arrives at home. There is no need for a delay. If I had 240v, I might use delayed charge.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I use it every day, except on rare occasions when I know I'm going back out, say on a weekend.

I have my schedule set to have my car fully charged for 7am monday through friday, on delayed charging.
Me too. But I charge at work as well and it takes most of the day on 110. So I set it to begin immediately when I arrive at work to catch the 2 hours of "off peak" left. So I answered 50%

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always use delayed charging to take advantage of much cheaper electricity from PG&E between midnight and 7AM. It's so easy to set up the car to do this I'm somewhat shocked that more people above don't do it! Even if you don't get TOU rates from you power company, you still should be charging when the grid is under less stress. As part of our "mission" we should be helping our power companies avoid the necessity of building new power plants. (That also keeps OUR bills lower!) My bill has only gone up by about $25/month. Not bad given that I would probably be paying $150/month if I was still running on gas!

Ron

·
Registered
132 Posts
I haven't signed up for off-peak rates (if it is available in my area), but I also do try to be grid-friendly. Which is why I rarely use delayed charge.
That is the case because I usually get home from work at around 3am, then begin charging immediately.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Same rate 24x7 here in Houston. So, never needs to be an option for us.

The argument of being a bad person by charging at any time of day is silly because you are suppose to plug in the car whenever possible to keep it happy, and when I am making trips from the house, every mile on battery is one less mile on gas, so I am always charging.

·
Registered
68 Posts
voltage692,

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I thought you were a "bad person" by plugging in during the day. Nothing of the sort! Here in San Francisco, the temperatures are such that we don't have to worry about the battery suffering from heat-stroke (or the occupant!) if the car isn't plugged in during the day. I'd be doing the same as you to protect my investment in that $10k battery! We're just fortunate to have a more temperate climate that allows us to be kinder to our energy supplier (and the rest of the people on our grid - fewer rolling blackouts if that ever becomes necessary...)

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use delay M-F because I usually only drive ~30 miles during the week. Even though FPL doesn't offer an affordable off peak option, I figure it's more grid friendly and the battery has cooled down for the day.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here are the pictures of how I set up my Volt schedule after looking at a chart from my local eletric company (ComEd and Excelon company). I'm on an hourly rate plan as described here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5842-Other-Illinois-owners&p=55087#post55087

View attachment 2185 . View attachment 2186 . View attachment 2187
I'm curious why your screenshots look a little different than mine. Your schedule begins at 00 and mine says 12 AM instead of 00. I believe that 00 and 12 AM are the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
I'm curious why your screenshots look a little different than mine. Your schedule begins at 00 and mine says 12 AM instead of 00. I believe that 00 and 12 AM are the same.
Novel. I'm betting you have software updates that I do not. I would think that the general public understands 12 AM more so than military time of 00 so they changed it after getting feedback. Not that it is any proof but my VIN is fairly early at 01234 and I've never had any service that updated my software.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Isn't that a config option in the menus?

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Isn't that a config option in the menus?
Funny/obvious point. I'm sure you are right although it was not obvious from a quick manual search. I would have set it to military time as that is my preference and what my watch goes by.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a fixed rate of $40 a month for the power to my level 2 charger. This was available to me as one of the first 250 in my area. I figure at the variable rates, it would cost about $32 per month at night rates, assuming a full charge each night, and much more at the day rates. That being said, I do most of my charging at non-peak times unless I plan to be going back out to need the EV miles. 306 kw-hr (82%) have been at the non-peak rate. For me, all day Saturday and Sunday is non-peak.DTE will be including in my bill what my EVSE power charges would have been if it had been at variable rates. I can always go to the variable rates if I want, but not back to the fixed rate should I ever leave it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I never do delayed, because the off peak plan can not be activated unless the user uses more then 2500 Kwhrs a month
So for most people here, it is not available. I plan to lobby the state to change this in the future. Some states have no
Common sense in this area, rules are based only on proffit for the electric company.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts