GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and again, when I start up my Volt I see the following screen on the center console. I think I've seen it three times in the five months I've had my car. How random is it? Or is it random at all? :confused:

I'm not complaining because in my Lexus, you have to "agree" to their disclaimer every single time you start the car. :mad:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have never seen it. Is it on the Navigation screen? I didn't get the Nav.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 2013 with MyLink and Nav, and I have never seen that screen.

Maybe its only when you Blutetooth your phone to the car ?

I dont usu do Bluetooth

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It happens to me about once a month. After this, the nav had lost some of its config settings (such as displaying speed limits). So this seems to be a 'factory reset' after a crash. Another software issue is that after this crash, the 'time to destination' will always display '< 1hr'. That can be fixed by setting the config for that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens to me about once a month. After this, the nav had lost some of its config settings (such as displaying speed limits). So this seems to be a 'factory reset' after a crash. Another software issue is that after this crash, the 'time to destination' will always display '< 1hr'. That can be fixed by setting the config for that.
For you n00bies out there, "crash" as in navigation software crash, not a vehicular crash or collision. ;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, My nav's software crashes have far outnumbered the amount of times I've seen this screen.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've never seen that disclaimer on mine. I have full nav crash/restarts. I've used bluetooth and hardwired iphone, Never once saw this screen. My car was on the dealership sales floor, so I assume it was cleared when the sales staff fired up the car's features for the first time.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My car was on the dealership sales floor, so I assume it was cleared when the sales staff fired up the car's features for the first time.
I would agree with you, except that I've seen this screen maybe three times over the course of five months of ownership. I don't believe there is a permanent "dismiss" or "agree" setting.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have only been driving my 2013 Volt for a little over a month. My navigation has never crashed, and I use it often. I have seen that screen a couple of times, though. I just assumed it came up at random as a reminder once in a while.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have only been driving my 2013 Volt for a little over a month. My navigation has never crashed, and I use it often. I have seen that screen a couple of times, though. I just assumed it came up at random as a reminder once in a while.
Welcome to the world of Volts! Since you have a 2013, want to give this a try for me? . . .

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Indeed, I have experienced 0 hardware crashed but different kind of software crashes (from mild to worse):
1) The one that gives the nav disclaimer screen. Happens 1x/month.
2) complete spontaneous center stack reboot. Happened to me twice with no apparent cause while driving.
3) hanging nav, making center stack completely inoperative. This requires one to switch off the car and wait for some 5 minutes. Happened to me 3 times, but not on the past 2 months.
4) drive train crash with turned off the car completely while driving, check engine light. Happened to me twice as well, but the problem seems fixed after software update.

I own my 2013 for 6 month now, approx 7000 miles. It's obvious that the infotainment system and center stack have engineering issues, but I got used to them. I'll bring it up with the next service visit, as it seems worse than average. And not acceptable given the cost if the nav.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I, too, think it's random. I've seen it once in our 3 months of ownership with no other malady involved. Didn't seem unusual to me since our Garmin prompt this on every power up.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I have never seen it. Is it on the Navigation screen? I didn't get the Nav.
Same here, I own a 2012 built in Aug 2011. Must be a 2013 feature.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've seen it on my 2013 I think 2 or 3 times in 5 months. No idea why it happened, and I haven't noticed any software crashes.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi PowerTrip!

I've had that acknowledgement screen come up three times in 9 weeks. I haven't figured out what triggers it, because the nav has never functioned for more than 2 weeks in a row without hanging, rebooting, freezing, or whatever-you-want-to-call-it at least once. I follow your thread on the previous cities thing and can't replicate that bug- but I follow it closely because our cars are very similar.

I don't know if it's an OTA software update that triggers the acknowledgement, or if it's on a timer, or if it resets when there's a hard reboot of the nav software after a failure.

I wish there was a way to reset, "end task", or "control alt delete" the nav system when it's stuck without having to get out of the car and walk away from it with the key for 5 minutes. Does anyone know if there's a button combination, or stick a ballpoint pen in something to reboot it when its frozen? What's the fastest way to restore it once it is stuck?

A few tricks I've learned about driving with the locked up Navigation system when you don't have time to stop and let it reset:
1. When it's the "calculating route" for eternity glitch, you can power off the radio to see and use the energy and climate screens.
2. With the power on the radio will play music when the nav is locked. Music will still respond to the steering wheel buttons even though you can't see the screen.
3. The Nav TBT DIC widget sometimes will continue guidance while the stack is frozen, so if you're lost during guidance, try turning that thing on.
4. When it's the "everything is blank" nav screen, you can get it to come back by removing and re-entering a destination.
5. When it's the "you can see the map but I ain't gonna help you get there" glitch, the only way to get it back is by shutting it down for a while so it goes through an initializing cycle when it comes back.

I won't bring it in because Nav is a "nice to have" function and I have very little faith in the capability of any Chevy dealer service technician being able to fix it and not wreck something else in the process. If the engineers who made it couldn't get it right, certainly the mechanic isn't going to. It works most of the time, so I'll just deal with it until a stable patch is released and well proven.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
I would agree with you, except that I've seen this screen maybe three times over the course of five months of ownership. I don't believe there is a permanent "dismiss" or "agree" setting.
I'm not sure of the pattern but I see it every month or so. I use bluetooth always and the NAV regularly. I've never had the NAV crash in 2 years. I don't know if this screen comes up if I put it in reverse/drive as I'm messing with the NAV.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Welcome to the world of Volts!
Thank you! I tried the procedure in the thread you linked, and my navigation system did exactly what you described. I can no longer say my navigation has never crashed. I posted a reply in the other thread.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Every now and again, when I start up my Volt I see the following screen on the center console. I think I've seen it three times in the five months I've had my car. How random is it? Or is it random at all?
i get it once every month or two.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My 2012 does not have the built in NAV and has never displayed that screen. However, my portable TomTom does display a very similar screen after each map update.

Could it be that screen is displayed on the built in NAV after each map update?

KNS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts