GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a newbie and am certain this has been previously discussed but I couldn't find it in one thread on this forum.

If the Volt is driven in EV mode exclusively, how often does it burn gas in engine maintenance mode (EMM) to keep the ICE happy? and is there any warning? I think I read that if gas isn't used in about a year's time that the Volt would go into fuel maintenance mode (FMM) and burn off the stale gas. In this case, it's supposed to warn you. Is there a way to prevent that stale gas burn by adding a bit of gas at the right intervals?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
In EMM if burns gas about every 6 weeks. It warns you once which you can override once. Fuel maintenance mode starts after about 8 weeks to burn just a little gas. If you go all year on the original tank it will do a full burn by the end of 12 months.... You can add a little gas occasionally to lower the average age of the gas, not sure if anyone has tricked it to have zero burns in 12 months though...

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Since April 22nd the last time I bought fuel after a long trip, my Volt has conducted two EMM runs, about every 6 weeks. The car will display an announcement and you can either accept it then or delay it till the next start. It will run the ICE for about 2 minutes and burn 3.8 OUNCES of fuel.

Re the Fuel MX Mode, I've read it will occur after almost a year since your last fill. It can be fooled by adding some fresh fuel every once in a while. Which is why most folks don't carry a full tank.

Also know that in extremely cold temps the ICE will run to provide supplemental heat and that will reset or delay the FMM.

But its all documented in your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Today was only the second time I have gone into Maintenance Mode since getting the car Dec31,2010. I filled the gas tank on Aug 5th but didn't burn a drop from that fill-up until today's engine run cycle. Again it lasted only about 2 mins, but it was a surprise to see the notification on the screen again. I really hate burning the fuel, and with more charge stations on line these days and better driving habits these engine burn cycles may happen every 6 weeks ! Meanwhile my MPG number continues to climb back up to a respectable 208 and hopefully higher.
P.S. the burn indicated .03 gallons as it did last time, but I believe that's a default number and the burn is less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts