GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get a Volt as a 3rd car, and have been trying to get the numbers to work out. However, I got sticker shock when I asked my insurance company to give me a quote.

I have NJM in New Jersey (a very good company, usually much lower cost and better service than others). I gave them a VIN number for a $44k MSRP model with $100 comprehensive and $500 collison deductables. I'm 36, married, with no points/tickets/etc. I've never made a claim besides windshield repair.

They told me it would be $1350 after the multi-car discount. I pay $1750 combined for my 2002 Yukon and 2011 Volvo XC90. I was floored, and she could only tell me that it was considered a "high rate vehicle".

Hey Volt owners - are you seeing the same thing from your insurance companies?

· Registered
1,882 Posts
I have State Farm in New Mexico. I have:
multiple line, multicar, antitheft,vehicle safety, and accident free discounts
100,000/300,000 liability
50,000 property
500 deductible comp
500 deductible collision
uninsured motor vehicle 50,000/100,000/50,000
My bill is $855.80 per year

· Registered
3,428 Posts
Rates are very state and driver specific.

The rate quoted sounds to me very reasonable, you can do an online quote with Geico for a quick comparison, but its also in line with your other vehicles, the Yukon is probably only $400 of the $1750, also $100 deductible is probably adding a lot, that a very low amount, $500 is typical and $1K is where the rate savings come in

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Not even close - less than half your quote. My Volt is actually lower than my 7 year old Toyota Tacoma 2WD pickup (still trying to figure out why the Toy is so high). But keep in mind that everyones situation is different. About the only way you can get a decent sense of insurance cost is to go shopping with in your area. Things like zip code matter, or children that are approaching driving age (yes they don't have to actually be drivers yet), miles driven, etc.

VIN # B0985

· Registered
9 Posts
Shop around

I am also from New Jersey. I have three cars including a 2011 Volt. When I added the Volt my insurance went up to $3500. I shopped around and now have a rate of $1900 for the same coverage with a different company. I had my insurance with that old company for 25 years, but that didn't stop them from trying to take advantage. I guess I fell in the group of "see how high we can charge them before they leave". Shop Around.

· Registered
3,428 Posts
NJ has some of the highest rates in the county, Florida is pretty high as well, Thanks mostly to "no fault" requirements.

Its meaningless to compare to NM or AZ to rates in NJ, every state is different rates as well the drivers driving history and credit come into play

· Registered
1,237 Posts
I just talked with USAA about the Volt I am picking up tomorrow. Insurance going up net $40 per month with coverage similar to MichaelH after reducing the insurance on the 380SL the Volt is retiring for occasional weekend duty.

· Registered
45 Posts
I cant remember what my 2011 prius cost us but our new volt cost us $13.00 more then the prius with full coverage per year,I kinda recall the cost to be around $670.00 per year, this is in NY.

· Registered
490 Posts
Texas, Allstate, perfect driving, no claims, multi-policy discount, > 10 years, $500 deductible, full coverage.

$130/month.

or, add it to existing policy as a weekend vehicle for +$90/month.

-KyleH
For all the policies, or one car? This seems very expensive, considering that your numbers are per month with discounts and etc., while everyone else is measuring per year. Someone above insured three cars for that price. (I can't imagine state-to-state differences are that huge?)

· Registered
309 Posts
My $130/month was for the 1 Volt by itself. Maybe it is Allstate. They hated my BMW 10 years ago at $300/month. (I paid an extra $2,000. per 6 months before I switched to State Farm for half. Then, when I got a house and added that policy, they were comprable to StateFarm).

I am also in Harris county. From my agent, it is along the lines with NYC and LA with the highest rates. If I am able to claim 10 miles north, my vehicle rates would be 30-50% less.

-KyleH

For all the policies, or one car? This seems very expensive, considering that your numbers are per month with discounts and etc., while everyone else is measuring per year. Someone above insured three cars for that price. (I can't imagine state-to-state differences are that huge?)

· Registered
3,428 Posts
NEVER take you agents word for the truth, do some online quotes, Geico takes 10 minutes. While you may indeed have good pricing, its in the Agents best interest to retain you at the highest premium possible

· Registered
26 Posts
Lower Insurance Rate.

In California I am paying $742 per annum for my 2012 fully loaded Volt. Before my Volt I had a 2003 Acura TL that was costing me over $800
I am insured with Travelers

I wanted to get a Volt as a 3rd car, and have been trying to get the numbers to work out. However, I got sticker shock when I asked my insurance company to give me a quote.

I have NJM in New Jersey (a very good company, usually much lower cost and better service than others). I gave them a VIN number for a $44k MSRP model with $100 comprehensive and $500 collison deductables. I'm 36, married, with no points/tickets/etc. I've never made a claim besides windshield repair.

They told me it would be $1350 after the multi-car discount. I pay $1750 combined for my 2002 Yukon and 2011 Volvo XC90. I was floored, and she could only tell me that it was considered a "high rate vehicle".

Hey Volt owners - are you seeing the same thing from your insurance companies?

· Registered
13 Posts
I also live in NJ, and have NJM insurance for two cars. When I replaced my old car (2002 Infiniti I35; 107K miles) with my 2012 Volt, my cost went up about $700/year. One other factor: My Volt is a lease, not a purchase.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
I am paying $1325.00 a year total for 2012 Volt, 2010 Prius full coverage on both and 1996 Ford ranger liability only and the trailer is covered on the auto policy from Geico.

· Registered
358 Posts
My 2012 Volt insurance is slightly higher than it was for my 2011 Mustang GT that it replaced. Same coverage. Traveller's insurance. Despite going from 412 HP muscle car to 149 HP compact. I would guess this is because the insurance companies are expecting high repair costs for any claims (even though I have never had a claim on any car ever).

While on the topic, I just can't help but throw this out there -- for anyone in the midwest, I do NOT recommend Miller's First Insurance. During a hard part of my life when I was briefly unemployed, they cancelled my insurance due to my unemployment, even though I was paying my bills.

· Registered
14,207 Posts
In California I am paying $742 per annum for my 2012 fully loaded Volt. Before my Volt I had a 2003 Acura TL that was costing me over $800
I am insured with Travelers
Tha's about what I'm paying as well. I was really pleasantly surprised that the Volt was only a few bucks more than my 2008 Cobalt. I'm with State Farm, but we alwyas go for the $1000 deductible. We have our own body shop, LOL.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rates are very state and driver specific.

The rate quoted sounds to me very reasonable, you can do an online quote with Geico for a quick comparison, but its also in line with your other vehicles, the Yukon is probably only $400 of the $1750, also $100 deductible is probably adding a lot, that a very low amount, $500 is typical and $1K is where the rate savings come in
The Yukon is $800 with Collison being $215 and Comp. being $55. The Volvo is $950 with $394/$77 collision/comp. Maybe tomorrow I'll check with them again about why it is so high, but maybe it's time to shop around.

· Registered
2,423 Posts
You're paying way too much, especially with deductibles so low. I pay $85 per month, USAA. Why wouldn't you raise your deductibles to $1,000. You're going to go through insurance to fix a $450 small dent?

MrEnergyCzar

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.