GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 2016 volt but dealer is trying to convince me I would be fine with an LT w/ comfort package. But I think things like driver confidence are well worth it since I am in lots of traffic and drive a lot. I moved on to Carvana and saw two with the options I wanted. A 56k mile for $21,300 and a 33k mile car for $23,700. The problem is the 56k car is exactly what I want, in terms of color and features but the 33k, I'd have to sacrifice some options. Should I keep looking or does mileage not matter as much?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
A new 2018 Volt, if you qualify, you can take a $7,500 fed tax credit. There are 2018 new Volts under $30,000 in the Portland Oregon area alone. This would bring the price of a brand new Volt to even under $23,700 for a 2 year old used Volt. If you can swing it and qualify for the Fed Tax Credit I would look at a new 18 Volt, forget about a used 2 year old Volt for basically the same price....

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^^. In addition, with a truly unique car like the Volt/ELR, I would avoid buying from anywhere except from a Chevy/Cadillac dealer (of course, if they're competent, which is another discussion!)

As for higher mileage vs. lower mileage, I'll let veterans here discuss that!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
A new 2018 Volt, if you qualify, you can take a $7,500 fed tax credit. There are 2018 new Volts under $30,000 in the Portland Oregon area alone. This would bring the price of a brand new Volt to even under $23,700 for a 2 year old used Volt. If you can swing it and qualify for the Fed Tax Credit I would look at a new 18 Volt, forget about a used 2 year old Volt for basically the same price....
And if you're not planning on keeping your Volt for the long haul, consider that a new one depreciates by 7,500 the moment you sign the purchase paperwork. In my case this is fine because I tend to drive my cars into the ground, but if you're a "gotta have a new (to me) car every couple of years" it will work against you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^^this. In addition, the Volt/ELR are very special, unique cars, and I would avoid purchasing one from anyone except a Chev/Cad dealer (assuming they're competent, of course, which is a different discussion...)

Elton20: if you put your region in your signature, someone in your region might be able to steer you toward a good used Volt, or away from a bad one!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
With the OP stating that he's looking for the DC options, one needs to take that and other desired options the OP wants into consideration as to how it would impact the price of a new model vs. something a couple years old. Sure you can get a new '18 or '19 with tax credits for about the same price but if it is lacking options that are wanted to get that same price then it really isn't worth the discussion. Personally I like the added safety features in my G1. I was lucky when I found mine, used, with both safety 1 and 2 for the price I was looking to pay. It took several months of looking, but I found almost exactly what I wanted, only the color was not ideal (black). Having the extra safety features might also qualify you for an insurance discount depending on your provider, so that too is something to keep in mind.

Returning to the original question about mileage. That's really a personal preference I think. Of course I'd suggest something with the lowest mileage possible for most, but if you drive a significant amount annually then perhaps mileage and resale value are of little use to you. My '13 had a ton on the odometer when I bought it (93k) and most of those were gas miles, however I did have the extended battery warranty (150k CARB car) and the owner transferred their GMPP to me which gave me warranty to 111K miles which I used twice but never for a powertrain issue. Since I drive 15-20K/year I knew that spending a couple more thousand to get something with half the miles was possible, but how many repairs would I have needed to have to make the choice to spend more make financial sense? So far I've put almost 40K on and no issues that weren't covered, so in essence, I would have "wasted" that money in a sense just to get fewer miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate everyone's help here! I too drive about 15k-20k miles annually so it makes sense that mileage may not matter as much. Do we all agree that I should buy from a dealer though? I would be willing to pay the extra that I tend to see at dealers rather than places like Carvana. My dealer allowed me to do a generous 3 day test drive and I love the car but it was just the LT w/ comfort. I really feel like I need the safety packages and it seems like I will just have to wait until they can get me that car. It's been 3 months of looking but I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I bought mine through a private seller on Craigslist. I did however have a PPI performed by one of the better Volt dealers in the LA area so I was confident it was a good buy. Add to that a full service history just made it an ideal transaction. I would like to say that buying from a dealership is better, but that isn't always the case. I would only buy from a dealer if there was an option for an extended warranty similar to a CPO warranty as the added expense over buying privately and getting it inspected might end up being less expensive than paying dealership pricing which includes cost to advertise the car and there is no guarantee it's going to be better than one that's privately sold for less.

As for choosing between a dealership and Carvana or similar, doesn't Carvana offer a 7 day trial as well? I think most dealerships, if they realize you are serious about purchase are willing to allow an extended test drive. Unfortunately with a private seller that usually isn't the case, so if you aren't sure and want to take an extended test drive then perhaps a dealership may be the better way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts