GM Volt Forum banner

How much can Regen braking charge the battery?

10875 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Aseras
So I'm new and only know as much about the volt as I could find online. I haven't been able to plug my volt in as frequently lately after moving into an apartment. It's been about two weeks since it's last been plugged in...I go in last night after turning it off for about 15 minutes (with no battery charge obviously)...I hop back in, start her up...And I have 6 miles on the battery??? After that it drove on battery power for 6 miles. How is this possible???? I'm baffled
1 - 1 of 12 Posts
Be aware, too, that when in Extended Range Mode and the ICE is running, if braking regeneration puts power back into the battery, the car then runs on electric power to use that up, but continues to record the distances as Gas Miles. If you’re in Hold mode, rather than fully depleted battery mode, and switch back to Normal when regen has increased the state of charge above the Hold point, using that regen battery power will continue to be recorded as Gas Miles until the soc drops back to the Hold soc point. This surprises some people when they seem to be getting gas miles after they thought they had switched back to Electric Mode.

If you turn the car off when regen has moved the soc above the fully depleted soc (or the Hold set point) and later turn it back on again, the computer may decide to count the use of that power as Electric Miles when you use it, but it may also not count it as kWh Used because it is not grid power.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.