GM Volt Forum banner

How many times have you had to take your Generation 2 (2016+) Volt in for service?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many times have you had to have unscheduled maintenance performed on your Gen 2?

I'm trying to see how many people have had to have their Gen 2 Volt in for (unscheduled) service multiple times. I've had mine in 3 times in a month after buying it Certified Pre-Owned w/ 600 miles on it at the time of purchase. I'm really pissed off that my brand new car has the reliability of a 25-year-old Ford when it was sold to me certified in excellent condition after passing their "rigorous" Certified inspection process.

It seems like the Gen 2 has a horrible reliability reputation so far and Chevy owes us an explanation.

EDIT: To clarify, the poll is only for unscheduled service visits, not things like tire rotation or oil changes (or recalls, but keep reading). I'm talking things like Malfunction Indicator Lights/trouble codes, weird noises, or, in the case of my first unscheduled visit, a recall that should have been performed while the car was on the dealer lot for 4 months (and before it was passed for the Certified Pre-owned program)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my 2017 Volt in for a tire rotation once in 8 months so far.
I wish that's all I'd needed so far. I should probably specify "unscheduled" in the thread; all of my service visits have been unscheduled.

·
Registered
425 Posts
33,000 KM on my 2016 and so far it's been in for 2 scheduled services (with a couple of extra checks I asked for tagged on each) plus one unscheduled service. The unscheduled service was my choice to check a couple of things I had read about on here and to perform the infotainment update as I did have an intermittent issue with it.

Have not voted in your poll as it seems skewed ... my answer should be 3 but by the tone of your poll that's just one short of lemon, when in actual fact it is a VERY reliable car so far that has cost me the sum total of $33 in the last year in maintenance costs !

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
33,000 KM on my 2016 and so far it's been in for 2 scheduled services (with a couple of extra checks I asked for tagged on each) plus one unscheduled service. The unscheduled service was my choice to check a couple of things I had read about on here and to perform the infotainment update as I did have an intermittent issue with it.

Have not voted in your poll as it seems skewed ... my answer should be 3 but by the tone of your poll that's just one short of lemon, when in actual fact it is a VERY reliable car so far that has cost me the sum total of $33 in the last year in maintenance costs !
It won't let me change the poll title, but I edited the main post to specify unscheduled service visits, i.e. not regular maintenance. Thus your response would be "1" for the infotainment issue.

·
Registered
568 Posts
twice so far for major things

2017 -- ~8200 miles on the clock

First time @ 4000 miles, high voltage fuse blew, making the car work only under gas power
Second time @ 8200 miles, left me stranded on the side of the road with a dead 12V system, waited an hour for a tow, again, blown fuse.

Reached out to GM... and currently the last thing I heard was "we are investigating".

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twice so far for major things

2017 -- ~8200 miles on the clock

First time @ 4000 miles, high voltage fuse blew, making the car work only under gas power
Second time @ 8200 miles, left me stranded on the side of the road with a dead 12V system, waited an hour for a tow, again, blown fuse.

Reached out to GM... and currently the last thing I heard was "we are investigating".
Yikes...I guess I should be grateful that I was "stranded" at a resort instead of on the side of the road, at least. I was able to squeeze myself in my friend's car to get home, but my car's still up in Wisconsin right now.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
I dropped by once for some dealer options that were left off but I don't really count that since the car was transported from another dealer and it was a minor oversight.

The only unscheduled visit was for a malfunctioning turn signal stalk (would not return to neutral on its own).

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,071 Posts
made arrangement to get winter tires put on car
told me at that time it has 3 updates on the volt and I should schedule a time
told them that wasn't going to happen
let see , took my volt in to get my winter tires mounted ,car was ready after 2 -1/2 hours , tires were already on the rims, makes you wonder
new meaning to unscheduled service visit

·
Registered
716 Posts
Problems with my 2016 include an engine oil leak that they have been unable to solve in three unscheduled service visits, nav and infotainment system intermittent failures (forgets all favorites, nav fails to bring up input address keyboard) that they tried to correct with a SW update but no dice, and the engine misfire problem that was supposed to be corrected with a SW update, but also no dice. These problems go all the way back to Feb 2016. Have finally found a spot on my calendar to give them another shot in early December. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In 16K mi. my '16 has been to the dealer once for the chugging fsb. I marked this unscientific poll "1". What a great car.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
12 months, 14,000 miles, one visit. Oil change/alignment/balancing. There were 3 software type updates, along with check for a hose in the wrong spot under the hood and the squeaky pedal service bulletin.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
2017 purchased on Aug 20th, 26xx miles and it's been faultless. In fact I sometimes think I got a Tesla. Operating at 99.6% all electric.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Delivered June 28. Took Volt to New England and back from Georgia, over 2000 miles, mostly on Hold. Now 7000 miles, no problems. Plan to take to dealer for tire rotation, inspection and software update if indicated at 7500. I'm using it mostly on Hold for out of town trips, charging it when visiting friends or relatives but the only public charging point I tried was at Whole Foods and it didn't work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Multiple visits for a dead USB port....ended up with a whole new USB unit.

On one of those visits I asked for the software updates (for chuggle, etc.)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
1 visit for 2 cars.

Free Android Auto upgrade. No actual problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an unexpected visit and got a warranty replacement of the rear camera harness & sensors. Was backing out of the garage in my 2017 and the "service rear camera..." message popped -- with no backup guide on screen but rear camera view still on -- plus no parking sensor beeps or rear cross traffic, etc. Amusingly my local dealer asked if I was "backing out into the sun". Nope, backing out Westward in the morning! (And had said rear camera view was visible with no backup guide path, etc.)

My local dealer's Volt tech found a failure code, which led to the warranty replacement of the camera and harness, per above -- could have been component failure(s), or loose or improper installation? Or just a glitch?

·
Registered
70 Posts
1st unscheduled visit: After day 1 with 2017 Volt, oil leak from oil pan, dealer attempted to fix, but oil leak continued
2nd unscheduled visit: Second attempt to fix oil leak, fix nasty passenger door rattle (oil leak fixed)
3rd unscheduled visit: Shift to Park message, car not movable, towed to dealer, it's in week 2 at the dealer at the moment. They're also working on the door rattle again, and a new onstar overhead console rattle. Obviously the High Voltage system failure is the bigger concern at the moment.

2800 miles / 3 months as of this post

Owned Gen1 with no problems, now this Gen2 is a rattle trap and is having poor reliability. Not in love with this Volt unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts