GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 and when I plug in to 240V, my battery charges up to 46-47, sometimes to 48. Lately, it is down to 43-44. I understand that cold weather may zap some charge, but it really isn't cold down here. We still haven't turned on the heater in the house or car. Do other owners show the same results? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It changes based on many factors. The one I've noticed lately is whether I have been driving in the city (around 30 stop and go), or if I take off from the house the other way and hit the freeway (~70). Draw on the battery would be different with both routes and that is one of the factors used to determine est. range at next charge. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
50 in Reno, NV in the summer... 44 in Cathedral City, CA in the winter... the difference is that in Cathedral City I use the A/C... in Reno I don't.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
it's getting cold here at night so in the morning we have to use the heater/defroster. we have gone from 40 to 35. we drive the car pretty normal and never even think about anything that would be considered hypermiling. i think a lot of reports here are a little misleading for average people because of hypermiling and driving in 30 degree weather with no heat ect, ect.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean how many miles you drive your car on a charge. What I meant was how many miles are shown on the display before you start to drive. It seems to me like it's dropping and thus I have a smaller charge to use up.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
And remember even if you don't use ANY HVAC heat, the batteries TMS will need to work a little harder warm the battery.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
No, no. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean how many miles you drive your car on a charge. What I meant was how many miles are shown on the display before you start to drive. It seems to me like it's dropping and thus I have a smaller charge to use up.
that's what i was talking about, displayed projected range. we almost never run out of charge and go into gas mode so i have no idea exactly how far we can go..... it has 8,507 miles and has used 2.8 gallons of gas.....

·
8,680 Posts
This seems to be a fairly common misunderstanding. The amount of energy the car has in the fully charged battery hasn't changed - it's still the same just over 10 kWh that it has always been. Some combination of the temperature, driving style, and HVAC settings is causing you to use ~10% more energy to cover each mile than you did before - and so the car has updated the estimated range to reflect that change. You still have just as much energy as before, but the car expects to get less distance out of it.

(With varying driving styles and climates, that estimate can go from about 25 miles (possibly less?) to 50 - or even higher on 2013s.)

(I didn't want to confuse this argument with it, but changes in battery temperature do lead to changes in the physical energy capacity. It's a much smaller effect than the increased friction and drag from colder air, let alone the massive impact of cabin heat, and almost certainly not what you're seeing.)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This seems to be a fairly common misunderstanding. The amount of energy the car has in the fully charged battery hasn't changed - it's still the same just over 10 kWh that it has always been. Some combination of the temperature, driving style, and HVAC settings is causing you to use ~10% more energy to cover each mile than you did before - and so the car has updated the estimated range to reflect that change. You still have just as much energy as before, but the car expects to get less distance out of it.

(With varying driving styles and climates, that estimate can go from about 25 miles (possibly less?) to 50 - or even higher on 2013s.)

(I didn't want to confuse this argument with it, but changes in battery temperature do lead to changes in the physical energy capacity. It's a much smaller effect than the increased friction and drag from colder air, let alone the massive impact of cabin heat, and almost certainly not what you're seeing.)
Thank you, sir. I think I understand it now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mine says 38mi pretty much every morning after a full charge. Twice it's said 40. Also, I get 38mi out of it every commute...except twice when I got 40 and once when I got 37. :) Seems pretty spot-on to me. Temps are always 60-75 degrees here in the morning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Volt Reporting "Fully Charged" at 35 miles of range?

So in the last few weeks I have noticed an odd behavior with my Volt. I can see the car is reporting itself as being "fully charged" but only shows 35 miles of range. Prior to this when my car would say fully charged it would always show 40 or more miles of range.

I know the cold weather effects the range and the charging, however it hasn't really been that cold in Ohio in the last week (50's and 60's with last Saturday getting to 70) so I don't think this is weather related.

I'm wondering what is the best first step to take with this issue? Should I report it to my Volt advisor, make an appointment with the dealer etc?

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
So in the last few weeks I have noticed an odd behavior with my Volt. I can see the car is reporting itself as being "fully charged" but only shows 35 miles of range. Prior to this when my car would say fully charged it would always show 40 or more miles of range.

I know the cold weather effects the range and the charging, however it hasn't really been that cold in Ohio in the last week (50's and 60's with last Saturday getting to 70) so I don't think this is weather related.

I'm wondering what is the best first step to take with this issue? Should I report it to my Volt advisor, make an appointment with the dealer etc?
Did you read this thread before posting your question? Your problem is exactly the same as the OP, and the answer is the same. The car is performing correctly, the battery has the same amount of energy in it, but because of changes in driving or weather, it doesn't expect to get as far on the energy.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
You might want to check that right shoe to see if it's gotten any heavier. When I drive 75 mph to try to keep up on the HOV lane my range just tanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts