GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it is fun to think about getting a Gen 2 Volt or the upcoming Bolt, there is a nagging concern about how much I really NEED something different!

My original plan has been to keep my 2014 through the powertrain warranty period, which in my case will probably be sometime around the 5 year mark. When I purchased there weren't too many Volts over 100K miles, so the thought of keeping beyond that timeframe wasn't on my radar.

Now that there are a couple dozen Volts on Voltstats over 100K and Sparkie over 300K, I'm thinking I should reconsider my original plan and hold on to the car indefinitely and pass down to one of the kids when they're mature enough.

Separately I've thought about buying a used model for my oldest son, but it would have to be under $10K for that purpose - so older with higher miles.

Would you consider the purchase of a higher mileage used Volt to save on initial purchase cost? It could be significantly newer and lower mileage than other cars that typically compete at that price point.

What big concerns would you have?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I consider everything, but eventually you get diminishing returns on everything too. Would I consider a higher mileage car or Volt, sure? But that is compared against everything else as well. How many owners, how well maintained, what climate did the car reside in, what can I purchase X for instead...yada yada...

There is no correct answer here as everybody's personal needs/wants/habits, gets put into different boxes. However, if you want to drive something into the ground, then that is perfectly fine too and a great way to save money. Here is how to do it. Save money every month for that "Next Car" whatever it may be. Drive the old car until you have an expense that is greater than the value of the car OR you are tired of it nickel and diming you to death "death by a thousand cuts" When that day comes, then you are in perfect shape to purchase whatever you desire.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I plan to keep my 2011 for 10-15 years.

As far as 100k+ mile used Volts, treat it like any other high mile used car. Shocks, tires, hoses that sort of thing. Depending on the Volt, the engine wear and tear miles may be equal to a 3 year old low mileage car. My 5 year old Volt with 74k miles has only 22K miles on the ICE for example.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I rather would have a car I know vs one I don't. Keeping yours around might be a good idea, but really up to you. Buying higher mileage used is hit or miss, which is why you shouldn't pay much. Never know what you are getting into. Volt seems average or better reliability, but they are not old enough to know how they age. Things like plastic coolant fittings start failing after 10 years or so, and the Volt has a lot of those, hopefully they hold up well in the battery cooling system. Low volume sales will make repairs expensive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Buying shiny looking Gen 1 Volt is a wise decision. GM would still want to sell you extended warranty 80(GM)/20(you) basically for wanting to know how good the Volt has really been. This helps them revise the reliability and longevity down to five years when adopted for other GM models. Even without warranty, you can replace the engine for about 3k. Volt has the luxury to use the engine in most efficient way in conjunction with electric motor thereby minimizing acceleration and high RPM wear-n-tear. Based on that alone, typical Volt engine ought to last at least twice as much as a typical Lexus engine.
Run yours into the ground. Don't pass it down. Let kids arrive to Volt on their own. Let them go through junk cars and junk women. At their age, Volt guarantees no hot chicks. Junk is better than nothing. Later in life once they realize this, they may become bitter at you.
Hence let them have their "picks" even if you know better.
Sparkie-level-performance is not by accident and is not gonna be uncommon.
For the last few years, every stranger has thought my Volt to be about two to three months old. (Volt doesn't age much; could last a long time.)
Keep it till ACC / enhanced autopilot entices you to switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts