GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people getting 14.5. I got a used 2017 last week which had 8000 miles. I've have been getting 13.9 khw per charge. Is that normal?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I see people getting 14.5. I got a used 2017 last week which had 8000 miles. I've have been getting 13.9 khw per charge. Is that normal?
Yes, my 2017 has fluctuated from a low of 13.9 to a high of 14.4. 14.1/2 seems to be my normal battery exhaustion point.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
14.0 - 14.1 is typical. Some report a bit more ~14.2 -14.3 under certain conditions. Since you purchased the Volt used make sure the dealer has applied all of the required software updates to the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
My OpenEVSE display tells me I use 16.5 KwH, on average, for a complete full charge.
16.5 kWh is how much energy you used to charge up the battery. Charging efficiency using Level 2 charging is ~87%. 16.5 * .87 = 14.36

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
13.9 is within the range. 14.1-14.2 is the norm. Occasionally I'll get 14.4. I'll also sometimes get 13.6 under the following circumstances:

HOLD mode, with little opportunity to rebuild SOC buffer (e.g. going to hold mode on the highway and switching back to normal--Gen 2 borrows some battery for the first few miles as the ICE warms up, but doesn't always put it back).

Parking with less than 5 miles left -- sometimes will come back to the car with 3 miles or 2 miles left and it switches to CS mode early (not sure why--was an issue in Gen 1 also).

I seem to get the "best" numbers from the kWh used guesstimate if I go straight through on the battery without ever switching to HOLD or without making frequent stops. However, remember that it's just an estimate and will vary. The only time to be alarmed is if it's showing you MUCH less than what's expected. I would start to get concerned if it dipped into the 12s.

My 2013 Gen 1 Volt usually got 10.3-10.4. However, when I started getting 8.8-8.9 with much less than the expected EV range, it was an actual problem that needed a software update to correct.

·
Registered
312 Posts
On my '16 daily putzing around always returns 13.9 before switch over. If I run it down quickly on a road trip it'll make to 14.1, but no more.

·
Registered
420 Posts
16.5 kWh is how much energy you used to charge up the battery. Charging efficiency using Level 2 charging is ~87%. 16.5 * .87 = 14.36
Exactly. Is that not the question asked by the OP? I mean really - I would suspect he wants to know about how much it is going to cost him for each full charge.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Exactly. Is that not the question asked by the OP? I mean really - I would suspect he wants to know about how much it is going to cost him for each full charge.
I believe the Op's concern is that he is getting less than 14 kWh usable energy from his fully charged Gen 2 Volt when many report getting a bit more than 14 kWh. Worst case he is getting 3.5% less than the highest reported value (14.4 kWh)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Keep in mind the energy usage display kWh Used number is not a meter reading, but a calculation of the net grid power used (grid power used less regen put back into the battery). If you drive down a long hill in Electric Mode, you may observe the kWh Used number decreasing because of downhill regen.

Those who use Hold Mode for various reasons during any trip are increasing the complexity of the calculations involved in determining the quantity of the original amount of "grid power" that was stored in the battery at last full recharge that has now been consumed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the Op's concern is that he is getting less than 14 kWh usable energy from his fully charged Gen 2 Volt when many report getting a bit more than 14 kWh. Worst case he is getting 3.5% less than the highest reported value (14.4 kWh)
This is correct. I understand energy loss while charging. More of my concern was buying a used Volt and getting under 14 while everyone seems to report 14.2-14.45. It sounds like it may not be a problem from the comments above. Thank you all for your help on getting me used to my new car!

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
My 2017 shows 14.0 when switching to ICE.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is almost always 13.7. Today I got 69 miles on a charge, 50 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon. 20% highway. I have over 14000 miles. Probably over 14 only 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My wife's 2016 been getting 13.9kwhr from day 1...

D

·
0 Posts
This is correct. I understand energy loss while charging. More of my concern was buying a used Volt and getting under 14 while everyone seems to report 14.2-14.45.
It will vary a bit depending on how you're using the car - I predict you'll see a few 14's before long and if you're really careful, you may eventually even get near 14.5. So . . . . I wouldn't give it a second thought - Your car is AOK

Don

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My 2013 Volt uses about 10.3 kWh (give or take) on a full "discharge". From the wall, its consumes more like 13 to 15kWh (conversion losses, BMS, pre-conditioning, etc) for a full "charge".

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was getting 10.2 on my 2015 ... the same as I got on my 2012 that had a smaller battery. I posted here about the problem and was advised to run the battery to empty several times and the kw-hrs would recover. Sure enough after I did that about 5 times I was up to 10.9. I get 42 miles on a charge regularly in the summer and as high as 47 miles on the 2015, which I think is pretty good.
Winter is the pits up in Toronto ... down to 24 miles on really cold winter days. But it always recovers in spring.

I suspect that ongoing calibration is not perfect.

13.9? I am jealous! Time to upgrade!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts