GM Volt Forum banner

How many gallons used before refuel alert begins?

Tags
refuel
5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
I've crossed over 6 gallons used and would like to know two things:
1. How many gallons used when the refueling alert starts?
2. If someone refills at that time of first alert, how many gallons do they end up using to fill the volt?

Thank You,
MrEnergyCzar

#2 ·
I can tell you when your Volt says 0 miles left (cs mode) reported by a few here that drained the girl till she died... 40-45miles after she displayed 0. I wouldn't rely on it however.

#5 ·
Do you know how full the car was when it started?

I've hit the Low warning several times. The Volt hits Low just above 1 gallon remaining (possibly 1.1-1.2.) Usually around 40 miles estimated range. The tank will take at least 9.3 gallons, but a typical pump wide open first clicks off at about 8.6-8.7. The last half gallon or so isn't easy...

If you refuel at first alert, you should expect to get ~7.5 gallons before it shuts off, and a little over 8 before it overflows. (maybe a bit more - I haven't quite spilled over the top yet, though I thought I was very close.)

#6 ·
Ok, great. So when I've used 8 gallons it should come on it sounds like. I'm surprised it doesn't count down to true zero miles in the first place...

MrEnergyCzar

#8 ·
I use my "B" trip odometer for my "By the tank" reference and have noticed that if I have used for example 7.2 gallons that when I fill up it is almost always the exact same amount as the odo states.
I do remember a youtube video of someone running out of gas and then using the remaining battery power to go further. I can't remember the specifics of that video. I was just glad to know it was possible.

#10 ·
This video?

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110422/CARREVIEWS/110429929

According to the reviewers, they got about four miles after the engine shut off. Which makes sense, given that the Volt holds onto its battery reserve pretty hard (seldom dips more than a few hundred watt hours into it before revving the engine way up in CS,) starts the engine at ~22% SoC, and stops battery drains (propulsion power reduced message) at ~15% SoC. Those 7%*16kWh equals 1.1 kWh - about four miles in typical conditions.

#9 ·
We were on a trip and the light came on and we drove about 20 miles with the light on and filled the car up soon after (we had a good laugh at the thought of running out of GAS and having the VOLT sit on the side of the road)

we had about 1 gallon of gas left at that point..so i figure it comes on around 1-1.5 gallons, but I wouldnt trust that too much!!!!

#11 ·
when the Android app told me i have 1 mile left, i gassed up and put in 9.51 gallons.

#15 ·
@ MrEnergyCzar,

The fuel tank capacity is 9.3 gallons and the low fuel light comes on at approx .9 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.