GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just like the Volt that only a few can do the job, and they have to buy expensive tools?
Or can an ELR be serviced at a certified Volt dealer in addition to Caddilac Dealers with the training and the tools?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I would think Caddy is like Chevy. Chevy dealers that sell Volt's and Corvette's have specially trained technicians and are required to invest in the required tools etc to service them.

My guess is very few Caddy dealers are equipped to tackle complicated Voltec related issues. They may in fact have to farm that work over to a local Chevy dealer that services Volt's.

For routine things I'm sure any Caddy dealer can handle it. But if it's Voltec related I doubt it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Therein lies the problem:
The ELRs are as rare as teeth on a chicken and not every Caddy dealer have the training and the equipment.
I better start calling around town to check on the various Caddy dealers before I get that ELR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my limited experience to date, I think the techs are going to learn on your car. There is just no way around it, given how rare they are. The service "advisers" are worthless because they know less about the car than you do, etc. The good news is that the thing is basically reliable and the complicated electrical stuff unique to the ELR is less likely to be at issue vs. the general Caddy stuff that they can address.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My Chevy Volt dealer promised me they could/would perform service work including warranty work on an ELR if I bought one!

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Chevy Volt dealer promised me they could/would perform service work including warranty work on an ELR if I bought one!
JD4JC: I wished my previous Chevy Volt dearlership would have promised that they could/would perform service work including warranty work on my ELR.

Here is what the service manager told me when I wanted to bring my ELR purchased out-of-state in for service to a Chevrolet dealership that is located One mile from my home.

"I can imagine it sounds strange to the consumer but it is GM policy. They refer to it as “cross line warranty” and all of the policy and procedure around that is designed to protect the individual franchise. The smaller Buick GMC and Cadillac dealers can not be “healthy” without a strong service and parts business. The concern for the franchises is that a customer would buy a BGC product and service at a Chevrolet dealer due to more dealers/locations thus leaving the BGC dealer with an unhealthy service and parts business. We can only perform warranty work on the brands that we sell with two exceptions. One being we sold the vehicle preowned and the other being an emergency situation where it is not simple to get the vehicle to a franchise dealer. In short we would love to perform the work as we have great techs that enjoy working on the high tech vehicles but it is something we simply can’t do."

I even appealed to the dealership owner and was denied after a thee-way conversation with the GM Advisor folks and the dealership and here was the GM Advisor's response:

"While their dealership would love to service your vehicle, they are unable to due to the Cross Line Warranty policy set forth by GM.

Because there are other Cadillac dealerships within your region, who are trained on the ELR platform, GM is unable to offer an exception for our Cross Line Policy Warranty. I can assure you that we have check with regional GM representatives and internal warranty department representatives, and the resolution remains the same. For all warranty work, you will need to visit a Cadillac dealership. Per my discussion with your dealership, is willing to complete routine maintenance and customer-pay items, if you wish. However, they cannot do warranty work, as GM will not cover warranty repairs for your ELR unless you have them completed at an ELR-certified Cadillac dealership.

"I do apologize, but this is the final resolution agreed upon by your dealership and our GM parties. Unfortunately, for warranty work, you will not be able to visit the Chevrolet Dealership."

As a result of this action, I'm not sure a GM EV will be my next vehicle of choice since they don't care much about customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my limited experience to date, I think the techs are going to learn on your car. There is just no way around it, given how rare they are. The service "advisers" are worthless because they know less about the car than you do, etc. The good news is that the thing is basically reliable and the complicated electrical stuff unique to the ELR is less likely to be at issue vs. the general Caddy stuff that they can address.
BigW: You are so correct! I took my ELR in for service to a "Certified Cadillac ELR dealership" for service a few months ago, and what you said is right on. This dealership never even saw an ELR before, and I was asked 20 questions by the service advisor about what occurred prior to my electrical fault occurrence. After the ELR was in their shop for two hours their remedy to get rid of the check engine light was to just hit the computer RE-SET button. I think had I been able to take it to a qualified Chevrolet dealership familiar with the Volt platform maybe my wait time would have been reduced?

·
1,027 Posts
My local tiny Caddy/GMC dealer ( they literally have at most 10 cars on the lot ) won't do anything with the ELR. Not even scheduled maintenance, tires or radio or trim issues. might as well be infected with the black plague to them.

My Chevy dealer will service it but it'll be a cold day in hell before I ever go back to their service center.

My ELR certified Caddy dealer is 30 miles south and they are night and day better. SA has an ELR, the tech knows the car in and out and they have plenty of parking and you can actually talk to someone on the phone! and get updates! and they have a great loaner fleet to choose from.

·
Registered
52 Posts
do your homework. I took an ELR to a Cadi service center that literally damaged the car in multiple places. unfortunately I didn't take pics beforehand to prove.

best car ever, but get good service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts