GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the Volt is done and 2019 is its last model year--not even a full one at that.

If production stops March 1, how many can we expect to be made? Cars.com lists a little over 500 available now nationwide (granted not the most reliable source, but at least gives an idea). Maybe they've already made 1,500 by now? Who knows.

My guess is that GM will be limiting its production as much as possible. Heck this could be just a 5K run and that's that. Any good guesses on how many of possibly the most "advanced" Volt ever will be made?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Depends on the parts that are in the pipeline. Gotta use them up.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm sure no more parts are being made for 19 Volt production. Some parts will have to be warehoused to address warranty issues on Volt's going forward.

I was just telling my wife yesterday the Volt is one of the best cars we ever had, and now GM is pulling the plug on it. After all that
money was expended / invested in its developement and later production it just seems such a waste.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree. It's a total travesty...though just another in a long line of travesties from GM. I'm going to try to talk my wife into upgrading to a 2019. This is our last chance at greatness, Volt-wise...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If the Voltec drivetrain lives on all will not be in vane. But if GM snags defeat from the jaws of victory my 2017 Volt and GMC Acadia will be the last GM vehicle I ever buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am apoplectic about what Mary Barra did. I haven't ruled out a 2019 as a collector car.
I have voiced my anger and told them why I look at nonEVs before my lease ends in Mid March.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I get the feeling they have already nearly ceased production judging by the fact that 2019's are pretty rare. I think a lot of dealers have pretty much ceased to order them.

I wish they would have made an Impala variant of the Malibu Hybrid. Although I like the new Malibu, the extra space of the Impala could have easily taken on the battery without losing much space and the Impala looks really, really good.

I will never own a SUV or an SUV like vehicle.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I get the feeling they have already nearly ceased production judging by the fact that 2019's are pretty rare. I think a lot of dealers have pretty much ceased to order them.

I wish they would have made an Impala variant of the Malibu Hybrid. Although I like the new Malibu, the extra space of the Impala could have easily taken on the battery without losing much space and the Impala looks really, really good.

I will never own a SUV or an SUV like vehicle.
Agree. Even if impala version only went 35 miles ev range would have bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I came from compacts i.e. MGA, Mustang, Honda, Acura wagon so to go to (ugh) SUV - Crossover) is repulsive to me. A plugin with a series configuration(a little bigger battery) is the solution for my existing and future needs. The last USA named car was the Mustang in 1967. So Chevy was my first(1952) and this one (2017) will be my last.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I came from compacts i.e. MGA, Mustang, Honda, Acura wagon so to go to (ugh) SUV - Crossover) is repulsive to me. A plugin with a series configuration(a little bigger battery) is the solution for my existing and future needs. The last USA named car was the Mustang in 1967. So Chevy was my first(1952) and this one (2017) will be my last.
FWIW, cars.com shows only 475 2019 Volts nationwide. A little over 1500 Volts are in inventory, if you include the 2018s.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I saw gasoline at $1.779/gal yesterday. How can a business -- any business -- sell a product when competitive products have very clear advantages? Emotion does not equal profits, and ALL businesses must make a profit.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
With gasoline at $2.25 / gallon US average price for regular grade the buyers for the Volt and Bolt are already on the bus, no new
passengers are waiting outside to get in. There will be more attraction with new buyers to suv's and pickup trucks than fuel efficient vehicles.

At 68 yeas old I can vividly remember, and of course lived it as well when it comes to the gas crisis in the 1970's when I lived in Connecticut and New York. Thats one of the reasons why we have a 2016 Volt and a 2010 Prius.

My wife now wants a 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid AWD to replace the Prius, at an EPA of 39 MPG, the best for any AWD vehicle it looks
like possibly are next vehicle.

I was planning on buying a Volt platform type SUV AWD, which I recall seeing a drawing of, but it sure looks like thats no longer a reality with GM.

·
Registered
485 Posts
With gasoline at $2.25 / gallon US average price for regular grade the buyers for the Volt and Bolt are already on the bus, no new
passengers are waiting outside to get in. There will be more attraction with new buyers to suv's and pickup trucks than fuel efficient vehicles.

At 68 yeas old I can vividly remember, and of course lived it as well when it comes to the gas crisis in the 1970's when I lived in Connecticut and New York. Thats one of the reasons why we have a 2016 Volt and a 2010 Prius.

My wife now wants a 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid AWD to replace the Prius, at an EPA of 39 MPG, the best for any AWD vehicle it looks
like possibly are next vehicle.

I was planning on buying a Volt platform type SUV AWD, which I recall seeing a drawing of, but it sure looks like thats no longer a reality with GM.
I can't find it now, but I saw some longwinded quote from someone at GM that I basically read as "Voltec is dead because people either want pure EVs or they don't want any of it. We're surprised by it because we thought the Volt was practical, but we're reacting to what the market wants, which is EV drivetrains, not PHEV/EREV drivetrains."

So I don't think you'll get that Voltec crossover, desirable as it may be.

There were some rumblings about a next-gen PHEV Ford Escape back in May of this past year, but I haven't heard anything since then. Could be our next car if the range is right (30+) and Ford finally decides to add some kind of active thermal battery management. The RAV4 Hybrid is also in the running.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an '18 Volt now after having a '12, '15, and a'14 Cad ELR. Love the platform and so sorry to see it go. I will have my '18 for as long as it drives and then it's off to another car maker. If I buy a full EV, it won't be a GM, lots more more impressive makers/models out their.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't expect many 19's will be made. I doubt this news of GM cutting the cord on volt is going to make the sales any better. But volt is the best hybrid car ever made, IMO. If GM is going all electric, I don't know if they will every use this amazing tech from the volt elsewhere. I hope they sell it to some one else (like prius or clarity) so that the volt lives on in a different form.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just got delivery of a 2019 LT Volt with same Comfort Package as my former 2017 with 50 k miles/32 months of wear. Hopefully the 2019 will buy 7 to 8 years and 150 k miles before a car is needed that can match or exceed the same capabilities as the Volt to suit my family single car needs.....existing solar panels for car and house largely impacted the decision to buy a new Volt at this point with incentives still in play.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts