GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wha-Hoo, I just made it to 6 months.

The last time I bought gasoline was Labor Day, September 3, 2012.

I still have about 57 km range left on the gas tank, but I will probably be buying gas soon. It is really exciting to be able to go this long without having to buy gas. Thank you Chevy.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've had my Volt almost 5 months. Still have just over half a tank. I haven't bought any gas yet.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I made it a whole year, 20,000 miles until I was forced to top off my tank last November. I ended up putting in 4.5 gallons ($19).

In the last 12 months I have gone around 20,000 miles on 0.42 gallons though. The only gasoline I used was for 9 EMMs.

I'm the top car on VoltStats for miles driven on a tank; a little shy of 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In 9500 km of driving since I bought the car late Oct 2012 I've used ~100L of fuel. That's including 2 road trips to Seattle last year. Since my last fill just after Christmas tho I'm still over 1/2 tank. My commute doesn't use any gas but on the weekends we usually end up burning a little. Still averaging over 3,000km per tank, oh yeah.

Cheers

·
Registered
850 Posts
I buy gas almost every month, usualy about $5.00 worth, when I have a lot of "engine running do to temp." I might use $15.00 worth.

Normaly I do not fill to over 1/2 tank, unless I'm going for a long trip.

I wonder why people look at me funny when I complain about having to buy $15.00 worth of gas.

·
Registered
505 Posts
5 months and counting on my original tank of gas

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've averaged about 1 fillup per month (~1000-1200 miles), but I'm aiming for 2 months this time.

In the last 12 months I have gone around 20,000 miles on 0.42 gallons though. The only gasoline I used was for 9 EMMs.
I'm curious...

Let's say you could wave a magic wand that would eliminate the engine and all of its associated components (radiators, gas tank, exhaust, etc.) from your Volt, reducing vehicle weight, improving efficiency, EV range, and acceleration and handling, and you'd avoid those pesky EMM burns... and let's even say that it would put a few thousand dollars back in your bank account for the cost of the eliminated components... Would you do it?

(I'm not trying to be provocative and say you should've bought a Leaf or whatever. There are plenty of reasons to like the Volt more than the Leaf. But it seems like if you never actually need the engine, then all it's doing is taking up space, weight, efficiency, and cost.)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
about 8 months and 7000 miles before I hit the LOW mark. Most of it was due to ERDTT. I put in 3 gallons and called it good and have burned less than a gallon since (2 months or so).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
our white pearl car will be 1 year old in 10 days and has 11,000 mi. it has used used 5.8/gal of the gas the dealer put in it at delivery. i ordered it and picked it up right off the truck. my black car is 1 month old in 4 days, i had to drive it 120 miles in the cold rain to get it home, it has used about4.5/gal or so. it's a little harder to tell with it.... it had been on the ground since last july and had 559 miles when i bought it. it has 1,475 on it now and had used about 12.2 lifetime.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm curious...

Let's say you could wave a magic wand that would eliminate the engine and all of its associated components (radiators, gas tank, exhaust, etc.) from your Volt, reducing vehicle weight, improving efficiency, EV range, and acceleration and handling, and you'd avoid those pesky EMM burns... and let's even say that it would put a few thousand dollars back in your bank account for the cost of the eliminated components... Would you do it?
No I would not. I don't mind those EMM burns. They only use around 0.05 gallons. I would like to eliminate the ERDTLT though...

In the future I will probably need to use the Volt in CS mode, but so far I have not needed to. It is amazing to see how far and how long one can go without using gas. It make my commute a little more enjoyable, but a little slower too :)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The wife went 16 months on dealer provided fuel (got topped off at the battery enhancement) and I am at 12+ months just waiting on the FMM to show up.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I've gone 3 months a couple of times but it's generally more like 2. We do take a few trips of maybe 300 mils round trip, so we use a bit then. When I'm staying home and just commuting - 52 miles RT/day - I hardly use any.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So far, 2.5 months on the original tank. If I use the car strictly for commuting and if I can charge at work every day, then I probably would fill up a couple times per year.

My guess is maybe once or twice a month if we use the car more often on the weekends.

·
Registered
77 Posts
November 10, 2012 - Filled up the Suburban before I traded it - dumb. Only used 0.8 gallons of the dealer's gas since then.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was down by about 9 quarts so I topped it off on Saturday at Costco. There was a line. In front of me was a Prius and in front of the Prius was a Tundra. Tundra pulled up to the far pump, Prius behind him. Prius finished filling and went around the Tundra. Volt (me) pulled in behind Tundra, filled up, and went around Tundra. I saw the Tundra pump was already over $80 and still going. The guy looked like he was going to have a stroke watching the $ fly by as little eco cars filled up and maneuvered around him.... I'm looking forward to going back in June.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I used to average about one fill-up every 3-4 months. But now, two years later, with better planning and attention, and more public charge stations out here, I am approaching a 7 month interval since last fuel stop. March 7th will be 7 months....something I never considered possible.....and I still have 4 gallons remaining in the tank ! Some of you have really fantastic numbers, and I am sure there is no-one here that is unhappy, or, with poor results !

·
Registered
239 Posts
Every three or four months I add 3-4 gallons, just to keep the tank about half full to be ready for an emergency.

That said, I'm glad I am not high on the leader board at VoltStats. If I were, I would be strongly tempted to try and stay there, and I wouldn't use the Volt as it was really designed to be used: Drive it where you want to go, recharge when you can, and don't worry if you burn a little gas once in a while.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My 2012 Volt has about 9300 miles on it and I have never put any gas in it. On April 9, 2013 it will be a year old. I suspect at that time, some sort of maintenance fuel burn will use a good portion of what I got from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts