GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apt now, cannot plug in at this time here in AZ.

Concerned with the heat and the TMS.

I have been sitting in a the car each AM to condition the battery to cool it. Yes I do use it, just not till later in the day and at night.

But, what Im posting here is.........

How much time does the car take to cool the battery if I am just idling the car?

Of course the time can vary based on the temp of the battery and surrounding temps.

But is there a general time it takes to circulate the fluid to the battery?

Is there a way to know when its complete? ( I assume that when I no longer hear anything from the car, that its no longer cooling the battery, which I have witnessed happening a few times)

Thanks for any feedback on this!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I don't think you have to do this. As I understand it, if the battery state of charge is above a certain threshold it will pro-actively cool the battery as necessary without being plugged in or turned on.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Anecdotally, the few times my plugged-in Volt has turned on the fan and/or AC while charging or just sitting, I would estimate the amount of time the TMS is actively cooling the Volt at less than 15 -20 minutes. If I park my Volt in my garage in the A.M. with temperature in the low 80s, later in the day temperatures inside the garage can reach near 100F on a hot day here in MD. It takes 7 to 8 hours for the Volt's battery temperature to reach ~95F when the TMS will cool the battery.

If you have to park outside you could use a car cover in summer, that should help some to lower the battery temperature.

What is the average summer temperature 0600 - 1200 and 1200 - 1800 hours? It is possible you could use the MyChevrolet App to precondition your Spark, one time for 20 minutes or twice for 10 minutes, as is the case for the Volt, during the afternoon heat?

I just noticed this was posted in a Spark forum. I have no idea if you can precondition a Spark EV.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think you have to do this. As I understand it, if the battery state of charge is above a certain threshold it will pro-actively cool the battery as necessary without being plugged in or turned on.
That was always the debate if it did this when not plugged in or on. Some say yes it does cool in those situations, which would be awesome, but others have said no, that the car needs to be on or plugged in. I've not seen or heard anything coming on while it sits in a hot parking lot as of yet and I'll look on that battery conditioning energy screen and it doesn't move.

Hopefully all is taken care of when the car is off but I'm kind of skeptical about that. Thnx for the reply.

Anecdotally, the few times my plugged-in Volt has turned on the fan and/or AC while charging or just sitting, I would estimate the amount of time the TMS is actively cooling the Volt at less than 15 -20 minutes. If I park my Volt in my garage in the A.M. with temperature in the low 80s, later in the day temperatures inside the garage can reach near 100F on a hot day here in MD. It takes 7 to 8 hours for the Volt's battery temperature to reach ~95F when the TMS will cool the battery.

If you have to park outside you could use a car cover in summer, that should help some to lower the battery temperature.

What is the average summer temperature 0600 - 1200 and 1200 - 1800 hours? You could use the MyChevrolet App to precondition your Volt, one time for 20 minutes or twice for 10 minutes, during the afternoon heat.

I just noticed this was posted in a Spark forum. I have no idea if you can precondition a Spark EV.
You can pre condition the Spark as the remote start will work and it's mentioned in the manual as well.

I remember my Volts making all this noise while plugged in for quite a while so you are right about that time in the Volt.

Well this is the Southern AZ desert so at 0600 it's the coolest like 80, but now it's 1330 and it's over 100.

Next days up to 105 every day.

I'll just start it and put the ac on a few times a day to cool the battery. At least the GM cars have TMS, I had a Leaf for a week and it suffered from the heat, I couldn't use the CHAdeMO to charge it quick as the battery bars were way too high just from the air temp and not even a fan to cool it's battery. Silly Nissan engineering.

Thank you for your post!

·
Super Moderator
6,416 Posts
I live in an apt now, cannot plug in at this time here in AZ.

Concerned with the heat and the TMS.

I have been sitting in a the car each AM to condition the battery to cool it. Yes I do use it, just not till later in the day and at night.

But, what Im posting here is.........

How much time does the car take to cool the battery if I am just idling the car?

Of course the time can vary based on the temp of the battery and surrounding temps.

But is there a general time it takes to circulate the fluid to the battery?

Is there a way to know when its complete? ( I assume that when I no longer hear anything from the car, that its no longer cooling the battery, which I have witnessed happening a few times)

Thanks for any feedback on this!
See this article for a lot of details.\

Title: Volt Battery Thermal Management System in the Hot Arizona Sun
http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/

·
Administrator
21,026 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I've heard my 2017 Volt running the cooling system even when not plugged in. It runs for a few minutes but then stops. I've also heard it running the fan for the HVAC afterblow - the two have different sounds.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Can you also precondition the Spark using the MyChevrolet app or only with the key fob?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/
Great article, thanks!

I couldnt tell how long it really took to cool it to 73 but from the graphs I would estimate 10-15 mins max.

Though this data is for the Volt, Im assuming it applies the same way for the Spark?

Thanks much!

in our Newcomers FAQ area under Engineering and Design there is a detailed thread on the TMS operation: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5243-Volt-thermal-management-system-temperature-band
Will check that one, thanks Steverino!

How is that Bolt treating you:)?

Can you also precondition the Spark using the MyChevrolet app or only with the key fob?
I dont have the App but def. works with the key fob for sure.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

This is a great resource. I remember that posting when I went down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out if TMS was causing a 5-7 mile drop in range in my '13 Volt while parked, unplugged. I could NEVER get the TMS to run, no matter how hot--if NOT plugged in. The actual issue for my battery loss was a software programming error.

Not having the TMS running while unplugged makes sense on many levels. Putting aside Volts randomly turning "on/off" in parking lots on sunny days, TMS uses a lot of energy and owners would be dissatisfied to see gradual loss of range every time they leave it parked in the sun. I'm sure GM struck the right balance.

Since SussexNJ has a Spark, I'm not sure if it has the same TMS programming, and wouldn't want to presume otherwise. You may want to go out and check on a hot day after it's been baking to see if you can "catch it" running, but I think the chances would be low your timing would be just right unless you sat in it all day.

Another strategy is to have your HVAC run in "fan only"--in the Volt, it will also cool the air in "fan only" mode when the TMS is actively cooling the system and that's how I know when it's on or off. At least you could know how long it takes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a great resource. I remember that posting when I went down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out if TMS was causing a 5-7 mile drop in range in my '13 Volt while parked, unplugged. I could NEVER get the TMS to run, no matter how hot--if NOT plugged in. The actual issue for my battery loss was a software programming error.

Not having the TMS running while unplugged makes sense on many levels. Putting aside Volts randomly turning "on/off" in parking lots on sunny days, TMS uses a lot of energy and owners would be dissatisfied to see gradual loss of range every time they leave it parked in the sun. I'm sure GM struck the right balance.

Since SussexNJ has a Spark, I'm not sure if it has the same TMS programming, and wouldn't want to presume otherwise. You may want to go out and check on a hot day after it's been baking to see if you can "catch it" running, but I think the chances would be low your timing would be just right unless you sat in it all day.

Another strategy is to have your HVAC run in "fan only"--in the Volt, it will also cool the air in "fan only" mode when the TMS is actively cooling the system and that's how I know when it's on or off. At least you could know how long it takes.

Havent heard anything while the car was off/not plugged in.

Was the same with my Volts.

All I can do at this point is remote start it to let it chill the battery but the batteries are well insulated as the link above shows, though that was written about/for the Volt.

Im hoping the Spark is the same as far as the TMS though the battery in it is way bigger than the Volts and my year is LG Chem batteries which switched from the 2014 Spark EV which had the A123 System battery type.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, you can precondition the Spark while plugged in by initiating a remote start. Once thing that's different for the Spark is that a remote start will run for 20 minutes, not 10 like a Volt. So you can do two remote starts for a total of 40 minutes between ignition cycles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts