GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to buy a BEV next year but it looks like there won't be any viable options until 2020. I've test driven a Model 3 and I loved the way it drives but it doesn't have Android Auto or SiriusXM so it's a non-starter. There are no other 300 mile BEVs on the market yet so I'll have to wait. VW is promising a huge number of EVs, 20 Audi's alone, but next year's offerings don't fit the bill, I can't physically get into a Porsche, it's too low and I have a stiff back, and the Audi is an SUV, and I hate SUVs, plus the range is inadequate. With GM I see mentions that their 20 EVs might be mostly for China with very few offerings here, hope that's wrong. I figure that everything will be clearer in another year.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
As of Dec. 19, negative 1 year. I'm too old to wait till the next great leap forward. I believe the Bolt is 90% or more of what's ultimately achievable in a $40,000 EV and the tax credit will not be there forever. So why wait?

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I was hoping to buy a BEV next year but it looks like there won't be any viable options until 2020. I've test driven a Model 3 and I loved the way it drives but it doesn't have Android Auto or SiriusXM so it's a non-starter. There are no other 300 mile BEVs on the market yet so I'll have to wait. VW is promising a huge number of EVs, 20 Audi's alone, but next year's offerings don't fit the bill, I can't physically get into a Porsche, it's too low and I have a stiff back, and the Audi is an SUV, and I hate SUVs, plus the range is inadequate. With GM I see mentions that their 20 EVs might be mostly for China with very few offerings here, hope that's wrong. I figure that everything will be clearer in another year.
I am waiting to see what Tesla's Model Y brings to the EV game. I prefer a higher seating position than what is currently on the Model 3. No way to know for sure but a LR Model Y with single or dual motors, 75kWh battery should be able to travel ~300 miles on a single charge provided you do not drive faster than 70 MPH with moderate use of the electric heat. I use CarPlay in my 2017 Volt but could be satisfied with Tesla's navigation and entertainment system, also would use BT streaming music from my iPhone in a Tesla.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Two years ago. The Bolt EV was capable of replacing my Volt for all of my regular driving needs with a number of benefits and only small "sacrifices" required.

As far as upcoming 300-mile EVs, I think we're going to have to wait a while for anything that is reasonably priced with decent features. Hopefully, GM actually listens to me:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The answer to the question is "when my Volt is no longer drivable". If I don't like a vehicle enough to keep it long term, I don't buy it. What I would really like though is one of those 83" OLED TV's they've introduced at the latest CES show.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
The answer to the question is "when my Volt is no longer drivable". If I don't like a vehicle enough to keep it long term, I don't buy it. What I would really like though is one of those 83" OLED TV's they've introduced at the latest CES show.
Same here about the Volt. I'll decide whether or not a BEV makes sense when/if I need to replace the Volt. Not so enthused about the TVs though. No matter how big or great the resolution gets, the programming doesn't seem to get any better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The charging infrastructure is improving rapidly. It's getting to the point that I could accept a car with a 60kWh battery. I still consider that size battery to be inconvenient in that quick charge is to 80% leaving you with less range, when you need it the most. A 75 kWh battery would yield 60 kWh at 80% charge. That would make me feel a lot better about it and most long trips that I make would only require one stop for charging. I wonder about Tahoe trips though.

For this year people still can get a Volt and for me it would still be a consideration. Going forward, there will be more choices in another three years and beyond. I think a lot of car buyers have already bought and that's why GM is strategizing the way they are. This is short term saturation and of course people will need to replace their less reliable and obsolete cars as time passes.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'll replace my Volt with an EV as soon as I am confident that convenient fast charging is readily available in the areas where we like to travel. I am guessing that's about 2 years away. And by then there should be many more options to choose from. I look forward to the future of EV's.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
839 Posts
For me the key must have points are:
1. Hatchback
2. Sirius XM
3. Built in NAV
4. 200 mile or greater range
5. Adequate in State charging infrastructure.
6. Adaptive cruise control.

Requirement 1 is for utility, and the remainder are a function of the amount of miles I drive.

So far the only EV that checks all these boxes is the Tesla Model S, which I'd only buy used. Before I hit 100k in the Volt (next 2-3 years) I'll decide whether to move on. The original plan was to drive the '17 into the ground, (prior to GM's announcement to abandon the Volt technology).

·
Registered
669 Posts
For me the key must have points are:
1. Hatchback
2. Sirius XM
3. Built in NAV
4. 200 mile or greater range
5. Adequate in State charging infrastructure.
6. Adaptive cruise control.

Requirement 1 is for utility, and the remainder are a function of the amount of miles I drive.

So far the only EV that checks all these boxes is the Tesla Model S, which I'd only buy used. Before I hit 100k in the Volt (next 2-3 years) I'll decide whether to move on. The original plan was to drive the '17 into the ground, (prior to GM's announcement to abandon the Volt technology).
I like your list and would add only a couple of items for MY list. It has to have a factory option for a tow hitch and trailer wiring and be capable of lite duty towing. I also would like AWD and Active Cruise Control. All of the comfort and safety features of my current 17 Volt Premier as well.

·
Administrator
21,233 Posts
Negative 1.5 years. Replaced a Cadillac SRX SUV (an inherited "temporary bridge to BEV" vehicle), with a Bolt EV.

The Bolt EV has been more than adequate as a stablemate of our Volt. It's used for daily 70+ mile roundtrip commutes, with plenty left over, even in winter using heat, highway, and snow tires and Hilltop Reserve (limits charging to 90% of full).

99.9999% of the L2 charging is in our garage at a lowly 3 kW limited charging rate (our circuit doesn't support more). Even that's not an issue. If you have a circuit supporting 7.2 kW charge capability, all the better. Public charging via ChargPoint, EVGo, Charge America, etc. is growing.

China

As far as manufacturing in China, the government there actually has a long term game plan for becoming THE source for BEV's. They are pushing and pulling with carrots (financial incentives) and sticks (tariffs, lack of funding) to get people to buy EV's and manufacturers to build them and the batteries they need.

Compare that with the US government's game plan. The closest we've had to a plan were the EV tax credit incentives, the increase in gas vehicle efficiency standards, and allowing states to join the CAFE standards set by California.

Those are all either being dismantled, are eliminated or under threat. So much for a strong US counter strategy to China's game plan. We are forfeiting the game.

And this is not the first industry China has focused on with this type of approach. The drug industry is already basically controlled by China. If you apply a "I won't buy a car built in China" criteria to drugs you take or receive at the hospital, you might be dead.

"key ingredients for so many essential drugs, from antibiotics and birth control pills to treatments for cancer, depression, high cholesterol and HIV/AIDS, are purchased from China, says Rosemary Gibson, co-author with Janardan Prasad Singh of a new book called "ChinaRx: Exposing the Risks of America's Dependence on China for Medicine."

China has exclusive manufacturing agreements for drugs for anesthesia, cancer and HIV/AIDS, along with other medicines that "we use every day, not only in hospitals but in our own medicine chests," Gibson says, adding that China is now the world's only source of antibiotics, including the main ingredient in vancomycin, a treatment of last resort that is used by patients who are suffering from infections that are resistant to other treatment."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ices-may-provoke-china-trade-war-experts-warn

I too want to buy Made in America, but our industrial policy plan now hinges on one thing: raising taxes (tariffs) on the things you buy from outside the US. We need to do more, but the we hear "government shouldn't pick winners and losers". China is not abiding by that mantra, instead they are simply executing a long term plan to be the winner. A plan that has already worked in the drug industry.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Volt suits me just fine with ~95% EV miles. I thought it might be about 70-80% EV before I bought it, but in reality with some free charging at work, I don't even really plug it in at home much in the warmer months. I guess that speaks to people's misconception on just how much battery range they need outside of a long road trip scenario.

As for a BEV, nothing on the market really excites me. I think I'd like a Model 3, but no way in the world am I spending that much on a car right now. The scheduled maintenance costs on Teslas is also really high, as in "normal" for the class vehicle they're competing against, but really really high when you compare what's actually needed for a BEV.

Now that the first Model S's are starting to get out of their drivetrain warranty, I wonder what will happen to their value on the used market.

I see the next car I buy for the wife being a PHEV of some sort unless batteries drastically reduce their cost in the next few years (don't see it happening). I also worry that she could be a little careless on plugging the car in to go full BEV for her. Possibly unfounded, but she's half-plugged in my Volt before even after I've shown her the charging status light, so the precedence is there.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My first Bev was a 1981 Comutacar, I guess I’m an early adopter

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's me. Just got the 2018 and I generally keep a car 10 years. By then who knows what the options will be. Volt is 90% there for me. I use gas about 25 miles a week plus the occasional out of town trip. I am good with that.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How much of a hurry am I in to limit the capabilities of my wife's daily driver? Not at all, and she wants the PHEV - just like what she has now. I can't find an argument against that. She rarely uses gas except in winter anyway.

I just got a 70" QLED Sony. Anything bigger and it would be too big for the room. Also, OLED uses quite a bit more power.

What I've discovered with this 70" 4K is how poor quality just about everything coming through the pipe is. It really shows up on a 4K.
The more power is marginal. Even when the last plasmas where on sale and they started putting yearly cost on the sticker, it was something like $43 per year. Besides if it uses more power that means it's creating heat (we have electric heat here) so I say we pay for it once and get to use it twice (once for watching TV and once for heating the house).

As far as quality, if you are talking about programming you need an android box where you can watch virtually everything that is and has been produced (TV & movies) for nothing (with internet for streaming). If you are talking about visual quality, some boxes support 4K although there is precious little in that yet although the TV should upscale to 4K from 1080 and 720 sites.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bought my first BEV in 2012 and my second one a year later - Both are Mitsubishi iMiEV's and both are still our daily drivers today, functioning just as well as they did when we first bought them. Roughly 80 to 85% of all the miles we've driven over the past nearly 7 years have been n these cars. Our 2017 Volt is our 'out of town' car and so far it's looking like we'll be doing less than 5K per year in it

A BEV doesn't need 100 miles or more of range to be practical - 90% of the average person's trips are less than 25 miles

Don

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I too want to buy Made in America, but our industrial policy plan now hinges on one thing: raising taxes (tariffs) on the things you buy from outside the US. We need to do more, but the we hear "government shouldn't pick winners and losers". China is not abiding by that mantra, instead they are simply executing a long term plan to be the winner. A plan that has already worked in the drug industry.
Didn't know about the drug industry but they have cornered the Cobalt market with 85% (they've done the same with rare earths). Labs are trying to lessen the amount used in batteries and trying to find substitutes but the Chinese target strategic areas and chemicals and don't let moral considerations of where they are mined get in the way. You will be hard pressed to buy a car that doesn't have Chinese parts or batteries in them in the future. Best follow suit or learn how to deal with them rather than be adversarial which could put you in bad standing.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My minimum requirement is > 300 miles, preferably around 350, plus Android Auto and Sirius. The Bolt does nothing for me, it would be a big step down from the Volt. I only commute once a week, 60 miles round trip, the Volt can do that with 12 miles to spare in the summer, last week it did it with one mile to spare, as winter gets colder I'll end up using a cup of gas on that trip so in that case the Volt can do everything the Bolt can do. Most of my mileage is long trips, every weekend in good weather. Those trips are between 250 -450 miles, mostly around 300. A car with a summer range of 350 could do 90% of them without having to stop at a charger, the Bolt would require a charge stop on every trip which would be inconvenient and also because it has a weak charger would take far to much time. GM said that their next generation will have > 300 miles of range but the dates they are quoting are out to 2023 which is too far away. VW looks like they will be sooner, I'm waiting to see what they will have.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Two years ago. The Bolt EV was capable of replacing my Volt for all of my regular driving needs with a number of benefits and only small "sacrifices" required.
As far as upcoming 300-mile EVs, I think we're going to have to wait a while for anything that is reasonably priced with decent features. Hopefully, GM actually listens to me:
I liked your video on this. This makes sense to me. In addition to a Malibu, then what are the other 2 of 3? the Bolt and an CUV?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I liked your video on this. This makes sense to me. In addition to a Malibu, then what are the other 2 of 3? the Bolt and an CUV?
Thanks! They are in the editing and publishing process, but ***spoilers***

#2. Equinox EV
#3. Colorado EV

I'm assuming that the Bolt EV already exists and covers the compact CUV/hatchback category. The reason for the three is because I'm not convinced that GM plans to make them, but I think they are essential. Having four basic formats covered with <$40,000 EV options would provide GM with a solid EV foundation that others would have a difficult time competing with.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts