Car price - $35,280.30
Proc/Doc Fee - $80
Government fee - $384.32
Taxes - $3028.82

Out the door: $38,773.44
Fed Tax credit: -$7,500.00
CA State Rebate: -$1,500.00

Price paid: $29,773.44 - Cash deal - no financing - no car trade-in

Should I be negotiating more on this or is it a fair price? I kept my old vehicle for 12 years so it's been a while since I've been car shopping. Should I be considering a lease because of the quick depreciation on these vehicles? Or does the Fed Tax credit kind of make up the difference?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Is the $2500 rebate a "bonus tag"? Sounds like you could do better, we know of dealers who sell for about $4000 off before incentives...However, in total you're getting a $2329.70 discount plus the $2500 off, so if you don't find another offering $2500 off, that will exceed the $4K in discount making your deal a better deal...

Take the paperwork to a competitor, tell them you'll buy from them if they can knock another $1000 off...You have nothing to lose...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That $2500 is what they are calling a "bonus tag" and isn't available until Monday.
What do you think about leasing instead? My situation is such that I have a very small commute and wouldn't be putting many miles on a vehicle per year. The Volt's attraction in general is because of this situation in that I'll have nearly zero gas refills.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
A few of us here are very pro-leasing and being in Cali, a CARB state, you get an extra incentive...I'd tell them "As long as you don't mark up the money factor, I'd like to consider leasing, please work up a $0 driveoff, 36 month, 10K/year deal" Have them work the lease numbers, request the full "lease sheet" and share the deal here...

If you lease and your car is totaled (even if it isn't your fault) your financial liability is wiped clean...Get into an non-totaling accident, again even if it's not your fault, turn it back in, no worrying about the depreciation...The Volt gains all sorts of goodies and range increases in years past which further drives down resale...Lastly odds are you could always buy the car at a favorable discount at turn in...Many are reporting $7K off which is due to the residential not matching the resale value...

·
Registered
251 Posts
The best I could get on my lease for a 2017 Volt LT with Comfort and interior protection package here in WA was $34k. Granted the car is sales tax exempt in WA state so I didn't have to pay the taxes, but you remember that and be happy for your amazing price! :p

Also, if you're getting that full $7,500 fed tax credit chances are you're in the income bracket that might get you into a Tesla (either a used Model S, or for sure the Model 3). Being in CA you'll basically jump the sales list for anyone else that's located out of state. While I love my Volt and would totally tell anyone thinking about a new car to buy one, have you thought about holding out for a Tesla, or looking into leasing a Tesla to fill the gap before the Model 3?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts