GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you reply to a post like the one below I just saw over at Prius Chat regarding the Bolt announcement yestreday?
http://priuschat.com/threads/chevy-bolt-to-have-238-mile-range.171496/page-3#post-2420009

Anyone seen spec's yet for its battery stat's? (buffer % above & below usable partition) Similarly - its traction pack warranty? How is it going to work - will it be capacity loss percentage over some amount of given years/miles? Haven't yet found anything on that element. Thinking back to the Volt & Leaf racing to market ... hindsight reveals both vehicles might have been made much better - had they simply both taken more time to design & test their product. Certainly Tesla takes a lot of crap for being late to the show with their timely promises to deliver. But you rush things to the show, & manufacturers risk creating their own personal type of Challenger disaster. Just saying, I'd hate to see GM create bad will that might get avoided via more product/marketing testing. Reading in the LA Times, it just corroborated my concern, that the Bolt appears kind of small & looks underwhelming - compared to, & with the model 3 release following close behind. Yes it's pretty remarkable that GM has put this car out at all with its questionable ev history (pulling the EV1 in the face of angry fans - a PR nightmare) & i hope it does well. That said, it's too bad they made it look almost as 'blah' as our Leaf. If anything, the Leaf taught our family to hold off 'buying the very 1st (our VIN is 000659) iteration despite wanting to support EV development. I suppose it's way too late for GM to whip up a new body style. Maybe the style relates to low drag? If cars looking like Porsche & Tesla proved anything, it's that a low CD can look very sleek. We definitely are a visual Society. When it comes to building a great car vs looks - Ford Edsel comes to mind. Better to strike a balance.
I was going to reply on a point by point basis... but it just isn't worth the effort with someone who's so far off base. :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
There has been a lot of posturing between the Prius and Volt over the years. I'm glad for my opportunity in the Prius to find out what I enjoyed and what I didn't - and it has made the Volt more enjoyable.

I foresee a lot of similar discussion between former/current Leaf owners and the Bolt. I'm surprised on the amount of FUD in this post as I thought this poster was one of the more moderate folks on PC.

There's already precedent with the Spark EV on how battery buffer is likely to be handled and how thermal management affects degradation.

I for one am glad that a car is being made with headroom to fit the average American adult male. I wish the Gen 2 Volt had some of that, as that would have made it better in every way! The low Cd/sleek make it a Tesla M3 comments are especially interesting considering the glass houses the stones are being thrown from.

To launch into the Gen 1 Volt being rushed after that? Especially given the demonstrated success over five years is just out there.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Was 'hill' one of the fanbois of the Plug in Prius? That car was totally built to be eligible for the Cali HOV sticker and nothing more.
Yet the fanbois defend it in every way, despite its lack of TMS (like the Leaf) and its 3 season functionality.

Let them be. They must not understand GM's advanced TMS for the battery and the warranty on it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You are right. Not worth replying. All just speculation. Most likely, Chevy will release a product that will perform flawlessly, proving all detractors wrong. And someone somewhere will still bash it. Who cares? More EVs for us.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Spark and Volt battery performance and reliability is evidence that GM knows what it's doing. He's pulling arguments out his butt. Why argue with an idiot?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Just ask Volt-owning, ex-Prius owners how bad their Volts have been. I don't see a lot of postings here from disgruntled Volt owners trading in their cars for another Prius.
BTW, I think Prius is near perfect for its intended purpose-an economical car to buy and operate. I'll bet college campuses all over the U. S. are heavily populated with Priuses- a perfect car for a student in a dorm lacking plug-in facilities.
Gen 2

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a Prius, and have been a member on the Prius forum when I got it. That being said 2 years after when I drove a Volt, and subsequently leased one and starting talking about how great it was that didn't go over well.. It seems to me that until someone drives a car, and comes to their own conclusion you are going to have a difficult time telling them overwise. With some of the Gen1 Volts on here over 200,000 miles, and the one over 300,000 on the original battery I am pretty sure GM knows what they are doing. I am going to wait out the first model year of the Bolt while I debate whether or not to replace the battery in my 2012 Leaf. It is definitely 100% my next EV though. Especially with as good as our 2016 Volt has been so far.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm a Tesla guy. A few months after taking delivery of my Model S, my family needed a second car. I shopped around and it came down to the Lexus CT200h (pretty PriusC) and the Volt. The Volt wins, hands down to anything Toyota puts out. Sure, the Prius might have a little bit better aerodynamics and have a slightly more efficient ICE, but that's where it stops. It's a genuine concern because most of the Bolt EV marketing and paid "journalism" is always touting it's coming to market before the Model 3, so GM's urgency is obvious. If they are truly rushing this to market just to beat Tesla and recapture some of the lost mindshare/marketshare, the consumer could pay dearly for it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Doesn't matter what forum you belong to, members typically drink their own bathwater (reading favorable posts from other forum members and eventually believing their car is superior to everything else). The exception of course is the GM-Volt forum where we know the Volt is actually the best.

Seriously, the Model 3 is promised to be georgous and fast. Ive said it will be the buy of the century if Tesla can deliver on their promises. I can see no reason why GM could not come up their own competitorina similar time frame. How about an all electric ELR with specs similar to the Model 3 using key components from the Bolt priced at a more realistic $45K or thereabouts.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...GM's urgency is obvious. If they are truly rushing this to market just to beat Tesla and recapture some of the lost mindshare/marketshare, the consumer could pay dearly for it.
Sorry, you've lost me. GM making a groundbreaking electric car and having it available sooner rather than later will hurt the consumer ... how, exactly?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sorry, you've lost me. GM making a groundbreaking electric car and having it available sooner rather than later will hurt the consumer ... how, exactly?
Maybe you don't understand the risks of rushing something to market. This was in the works for a while, but when the Model 3 was announced, GM sped up engineering so fast that they couldn't do it in-house. All of the technology in the Bolt is made by LG, and it's LG's first vehicle. Sure, they've made some components of the Volt, but everything but the Bolt's shell, suspension, and interior is made by LG. Two engineering teams with vastly different cultures putting together a "first" car is risky. Much riskier than an existing all-electric car company putting out a smaller, less expensive car that's developed and manufactured all in-house.

And GM's "groundbreaking electric car" isn't even groundbreaking, according to GM. They've said for years an electric car, the likes of Tesla isn't remotely groundbreaking and is easy to do. Their hand is just being forced by Tesla to make the Bolt. Their shareholders have already seen what's happening to MB and VW :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Two engineering teams with vastly different cultures putting together a "first" car is risky. Much riskier than an existing all-electric car company putting out a smaller, less expensive car that's developed and manufactured all in-house.
Well to be honest I have more faith in that engineering process combined with GM's testing and shakedown methodology than I do with Tesla's "living on the edge" approach to manufacturing. Of course we're just going to have to wait and see before we know whether that faith has been justified or not. But this is not GM's first electric car and I'm optimistic they're going to have a pretty good product.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It's a genuine concern because most of the Bolt EV marketing and paid "journalism" is always touting it's coming to market before the Model 3, so GM's urgency is obvious. If they are truly rushing this to market just to beat Tesla and recapture some of the lost mindshare/marketshare, the consumer could pay dearly for it.
You have to be kidding me. Rushing? I'm in California, and I was seeing fully functioning Bolts on the freeways almost a year ago.

Maybe you don't understand the risks of rushing something to market. This was in the works for a while, but when the Model 3 was announced, GM sped up engineering so fast that they couldn't do it in-house. All of the technology in the Bolt is made by LG, and it's LG's first vehicle. Sure, they've made some components of the Volt, but everything but the Bolt's shell, suspension, and interior is made by LG. Two engineering teams with vastly different cultures putting together a "first" car is risky. Much riskier than an existing all-electric car company putting out a smaller, less expensive car that's developed and manufactured all in-house.
See above. Bolts were already making freeway road trips by the time Elon Musk made the Model 3 announcement. If anything, Tesla was responding to GM, not the other way around.

And GM's "groundbreaking electric car" isn't even groundbreaking, according to GM. They've said for years an electric car, the likes of Tesla isn't remotely groundbreaking and is easy to do. Their hand is just being forced by Tesla to make the Bolt. Their shareholders have already seen what's happening to MB and VW :p
And that is partially true. If I had $100,000 of capital eight years ago, I could have put together an EV with the equivalent capabilities of the Model S in my garage. No great innovation there, just actualization (I say this because I don't want to dismiss Tesla's contributions... they've been great). I can't say the same thing about the Bolt. It has made some massive engineering leaps over technology from 10 years ago, and the price point is truly impressive.

As for the rest of your intimations, I'll let the actual experts of GM's engineering and testing regimen speak to those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts