GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spark EV OBCharger always resets to 8 amps. How do you keep it set at 12 amps? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Buy a 240v L2 EVSE. The freedom is liberating despite the fact you will never break even on paper with the EVSE purchase. Just collect up what you used to budget for fuel and you should be able to pay for it shortly.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If it is like the newer Volts that also default to 8 amps on startup, the consensus is that GM is being conservative by forcing the owner to consciously switch to 12 amp charging , knowing that his house circuitry is capable of handling 12 amps for long periods of time. It might be a PITA, but GM is covered if something bad happens.

For the 2016 gen 2, you can select 12 amp charging for the home and the car's GPS knows when you are home and allows 12 amp charging. I would LOVE to have THAT be a software upgrade passed down to the gen 1. Sadly, no joy there. GM wants to sell new cars, not upgrade sold ones.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Actually, the 2014 Spark EV has the good Clipper Creek OEMed unit that can also be upgraded to L1/L2 with my video instructions.

The linked .pdf is actually regarding the (T18) Battery Charger not the EVSE for the Volt...

BTW: My bad this was posted in the Spark EV forum and here I am linking Volt stuff!:eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris, Could you please post a link to your video instructions for upgrading the Clipper Creek LI EVSE that comes with the Spark EV to L1/L2. Thanks,

drsurd

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
2nd Gen Volt (2016+): Setting default to 12 amp charging

Adding to jbakerjonathan's comment, for the 2016 (gen 2) volt, here's how to change the default to 12 amp charging when charging at your home:

Location-Based Charging
Charging settings can be saved for your home location and the vehicle will automatically revert to these settings when parking
at its “home” location.
1. In the Vehicle Settings menu, select Settings > Vehicle > Energy > Location-Based Charging.
2. Select On.
3. Select Update Home Location. Add the required information to set the current vehicle location as the home location. When away from the home location, the Volt will charge immediately when plugged in

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
.... Update Home Location. Add the required information to set the current vehicle location as the home location. When away from the home location, the Volt will charge immediately when plugged in
Too bad you can't spec two 120V charging sites.
This is for those that charge at home and work on 120V.

GM, how about an easy 'Feature Creep' in the next SW update?

I charge L2 at home and L1 at work, mostly.
Would there be any issue with setting my work as my Home location?
For instance, if it had a Nav system, would saying "Go Home" navigate the car to work?

Edit: Wait, this is a Spark EV thread...... Oh well, I want another Volt, someday !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts