GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to those of you that have taken delivery of your Volt, how do you like the Backup Camera/Parking assist? Are you glad you got it (or wish you had if you did not get it?) Do you find you really use that? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion. I have similar systems on other cars we looked at, but I have never seen the Volt system in action. I wish they didn't split the back window. I understand the aerodynamics and the hatchback, but I think the trunk (Back base of the car could be a little longer and have the window (top part) come down lower and not have two windows in your rearview. I would like that anyway. To me it interferes with your visibility. As a somewhat visually impaired person, I need all the help I can get.

I would love to see some feedback on ease of use and usefulness of the system. I thought this might help those that have not ordered just yet.

Thanks.

Cari

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
So to those of you that have taken delivery of your Volt, how do you like the Backup Camera/Parking assist? Are you glad you got it (or wish you had if you did not get it?) Do you find you really use that? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion.
I'm still getting used to it, but I'm glad I got it. IMHO it's worth the extra money. I probably don't use it as well as I could, 'cause as I say I'm still getting used to it.

I think I wish they'd used two back-up lights instead of the one BIG one directly lined up with the cam. The field of view off to the sides is a bit restricted. I really like the back-up track associated with the degree of steering wheel turn. Makes it easier to predict what's likely an issue.

The parking assist? The jury's still out. I wish it'd ignore the front bumper better when I first switch into reverse, because the high pitched BEEPING is annoying if I'm parked near a wall or something. I also haven't found how to adjust the volume, as it's a tad LOUD (and I have a significant hearing loss, and I *still* think it's LOUD). But there's been a couple times in even just the last few days where it's drawn my attention to something that ought have drawn my attention.

Given that it's not terribly expensive (as options go), I think it's well worth it. Visibility out the tail can be impaired. I haven't tried backing with a boat load of stuff in the cargo bay, but I think we're taking a full load with us on the drive to Texas Sunday, rear seats down. With cargo, I expect the backup cam to be golden compared to not having it!

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
..I wish it'd ignore the front bumper better when I first switch into reverse, because the high pitched BEEPING is annoying if I'm parked near a wall or something....
It is within easy reach to just turn it off right. On roof above rear view mirror?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
It is within easy reach to just turn it off right. On roof above rear view mirror?
I haven't had a chance to finish reading the manual (Betelgeuse!) so I haven't found that section. Can you give me a page pointer? Likewise I haven't found the magic cookie to turn off the rear view mirror dimming, which I generally find annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The section on Ultrasonic Parking Assist starts on page 9-43. Basically, the big black rectangular switchlight on the overhead center panel, with an icon comprising a "P" with some stylized sound waves going towards a cone, arms and disarms the system, as indicated by a yellow/orange LED embedded in the button. Though I haven't seen it in action myself (only in the videos), you should be able to turn it off most of the time and only arm it when you feel you need the assistance if the beeping is irritating to you.

I did get to use the backup camera on the Volt Unplugged drive, and I definitely plan on selecting the camera/parking assist option when I am able to order my own Volt. One thing similar to the ultrasonic parking assist is that the camera view can be turned off via a menu option in the center stack preference pages, so the people in another thread who said they were worried about it being too bright at night could leave it off until they thought they needed it. Check out the instructional videos on the MyVolt site, and the video that Kris Trexler posted on the Dec 6th entry "Former EV1 Driver Loves his Volt" shows it briefly.

I end up parallel parking fairly often, and both the systems would take out much of the often less-than-accurate (if fortunately usually over-conservative) guesswork I end up doing in many parking situations.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
TinManNFO, thanks for the more detailed post.

The section on Ultrasonic Parking Assist starts on page 9-43. Basically, the big black rectangular switchlight on the overhead center panel, with an icon comprising a "P" with some stylized sound waves going towards a cone, arms and disarms the system, as indicated by a yellow/orange LED embedded in the button. Though I haven't seen it in action myself (only in the videos), you should be able to turn it off most of the time and only arm it when you feel you need the assistance if the beeping is irritating to you.
<snip>
I end up parallel parking fairly often, and both the systems would take out much of the often less-than-accurate (if fortunately usually over-conservative) guesswork I end up doing in many parking situations.
That's what I said right? "On roof above rear view mirror?" Sorry for the subtly... I thought you'd just look up there after that and find/play with the buttons there.

I only really knew about it because when I took a test drive and came back there was a big delivery truck in the parking lot so I pulled directly behind another volt. That cause the front sensors to kick in and then I discussed it with the engineer who pointed out they could be turned off (left off ie. pulling into garage) and that it was mainly for parking situations where you did not know your distances. Vs having your string on a ball hanging from the garage ceiling, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like the park assist. the backup camera lets me back into parking space and stop exactly where I want. It also lets me back out and see if i'm clearing the cars behind me. I use the park assist when pulling into a parking space to see how close to pull up on the front. When it beeps continuously you are withing a few inches of the barrier. the front air dam on the volt is so low to the ground. It drags on the car wash rails.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speaking of backup camera. The car that I test drove showed guide lines on the screen indicating where the car would go. On mine, I only have a little triangle with an ! inside of it overlaid on the image that the camera sees. I do have the option turned on to show symbols. I did not get the GPS which the demo that I drove had. Is there something that I can do to turn on the guide lines?

TIA

·
Registered
962 Posts
The triangle with the (!) sounds like an error to me. I'd get that checked out. Like the park assist system isn't hooking in to the rest of vehicle properly. So it can't sync up with the wheel alignment.

And I love the park assist package. I wouldn't have gotten a Volt without it, personally. I've driven a full sized cargo van all of my life as my primary vehicle. So I'm awful at parallel parking. In the van, I usually just wussed out and found an easy spot a few blocks away. And with the vastly different perspective and slightly impared vision in certain spots, I couldn't live without it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Speaking of backup camera. The car that I test drove showed guide lines on the screen indicating where the car would go. On mine, I only have a little triangle with an ! inside of it overlaid on the image that the camera sees. I do have the option turned on to show symbols. I did not get the GPS which the demo that I drove had. Is there something that I can do to turn on the guide lines?

TIA
Unfortunately, if you don't get the GPS/Hard drive option, you don't get the backup guide lines.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I guessed right. I cannot imagine why that feature would be tied to the GPS.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My quick summary: the camera frustrates me most of the time.

I have the backup camera w/out the nav and I'm a little frustrated with the lack of the guidelines. Further, the lens cover (that protective glass thing over the actual lens) seems to attract filth. The camera itself seems to have a great deal of difficulty adjusting its exposure to the light and other conditions (glare from rain water so far), so much so that it makes the image difficult to interpret. The poor backup light doesn't help. All told, this makes the backup camera insufficient to rely upon for me.

My singular pet peeve with my sample set of people that have backup cameras (from which I will now generalize to EVERYONE WITH A BACKUP CAMERA BUT ME ;)) is that once they get used to having a backup camera they generally don't turn their head and look when they backup - they simply rely on the camera. You can see more out the back window than the camera can see, so make sure you turn your head when you backup. I'm working hard to ensure that I still turn my head and look behind me at some point during my reverse journey, and I aim to do that prior to actually moving.

·
Super Moderator
6,367 Posts
I have the 2011 version with gridlines. I like it quite a bit for backing into parking spots. I also use it daily when I pull into my garage. I pull in a little 'extra' then use the backup camera and grids to back up to the 'line' on the garage floor where the garage door comes down to meet the cement. This gives me the most room in front of my car and ensuring I don't lower the garage door down too close to my bumper and scraping it. My wife's car uses a tennis ball from a string on the ceiling for this.

I wipe the backup camera lens occasion when I'm back there putting something in the hatch to clean it. I could probably add rainx on it to see if that helps the occasional distortional drop of water on it.

I always use my side mirrors in conjunction with the backup camera.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have driven vans all my life and this is my first car. I am so used to using the rear mirrors that it is taking time for me to get used to using the camera. I use it in conjuction with the mirrors out of habit. I agree with the others that the light at night is lacking. The more I use the camera the more I find it useful. For backing into a space it is great.

What I really like about the system is the sensors on the front and rear. I pull into a tight garage and being new to the vehicle it is hard to judge just where the front of the vehicle is. Now I know exactly with an audio cue. A lot of parking in my town is angled face in and I can tell just how far away I am from the curb. Priceless to me, well worth the $695.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So to those of you that have taken delivery of your Volt, how do you like the Backup Camera/Parking assist? Are you glad you got it (or wish you had if you did not get it?) Do you find you really use that? Is it worth the extra money in your opinion. I have similar systems on other cars we looked at, but I have never seen the Volt system in action. I wish they didn't split the back window. I understand the aerodynamics and the hatchback, but I think the trunk (Back base of the car could be a little longer and have the window (top part) come down lower and not have two windows in your rearview. I would like that anyway. To me it interferes with your visibility. As a somewhat visually impaired person, I need all the help I can get.

I would love to see some feedback on ease of use and usefulness of the system. I thought this might help those that have not ordered just yet.

Thanks.

Cari

anyone know if I can add a backup camera for a reasonable price after purchase? I dont need lines or what not, just a camera that lets me view it on the in dash (center) screen.... any help is greatly appreciated

3,607 Posts
@ Farmedb,

It looks like your question has already been answered but I just wanted to confirm that the grid lines only come with the NAV package.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My quick summary: the camera frustrates me most of the time.

I have the backup camera w/out the nav and I'm a little frustrated with the lack of the guidelines. Further, the lens cover (that protective glass thing over the actual lens) seems to attract filth. The camera itself seems to have a great deal of difficulty adjusting its exposure to the light and other conditions (glare from rain water so far), so much so that it makes the image difficult to interpret. The poor backup light doesn't help. All told, this makes the backup camera insufficient to rely upon for me.

My singular pet peeve with my sample set of people that have backup cameras (from which I will now generalize to EVERYONE WITH A BACKUP CAMERA BUT ME ;)) is that once they get used to having a backup camera they generally don't turn their head and look when they backup - they simply rely on the camera. You can see more out the back window than the camera can see, so make sure you turn your head when you backup. I'm working hard to ensure that I still turn my head and look behind me at some point during my reverse journey, and I aim to do that prior to actually moving.
I agree. The camera seems to overexpose a lot during the day. It is vastly inferior to my Saturn Outlook's back camera.

However it does have a very wide angle. Another positive thing is that it aims low so I can see if I have left enough room for parking lot lines.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@ Farmedb,

It looks like your question has already been answered but I just wanted to confirm that the grid lines only come with the NAV package.
Thanks for the follow up. If I had known about this, I would have opted for the gps. Too bad there is no way to add it on. I still love my volt, but this is a disappoint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts