GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Page 10-70 in the 2013 manual. You can do it under the hood as described. You only need a small battery or even a clump of D cells will do it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I wish the Volt had a user manual with instructions on how to jump start a Volt. I am out in remote wilderness trailheads often and bought a supplemental power station to carry with me, but did not know how to connect to the Volt starter battery. I think that I found the answer on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTiROWMvRMc
It is in the manual as Voganni started. You have a 2013 right?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The good thing is you asked where the terminals are before you needed to know. The negative is easy to find but I thought the positive was a bit tricky. My approach to your situation is to make sure the 12v is reasonably new -- don't push it -- and then to carry a backup battery jumper. Doesn't need to be heavy duty since you're not cranking.

Haven't needed to jump in 5+ years.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've said it before, I have an intense dislike of replacing batteries before they actually die, so for many years I've kept a "booster pack" in each of my cars so even if the battery goes I can still get one more start to go pick up a new one.

The nice thing is that we've gone from big and heavy lead-acid based booster packs to ones about the size and weight of a paperback book.

there are cheaper ones out there, but this is a very high quality unit, I've used it to jump my Jeep Cherokee (and my riding mower) so it will definitely handle a Volt...
http://www.batteryjunction.com/wagan-7502.html

I've been told this unit (available at Walmart) is good as well, but I have no personal experience with it.
NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000A Lithium Jump Starter

·
Registered
521 Posts
And just to mention it out loud: Jump other cars from the back of the Volt, jump start your volt from under the front hood. :)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
And just to mention it out loud: Jump other cars from the back of the Volt, jump start your volt from under the front hood. :)
I have read the Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Manual (I have the Volt and Spark EV manuals, too) and it is the same. The 12VDC battery is in the trunk, but the "jump start" terminals are under the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts