GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i know if this used volt im looking at has a warranty on the battery? I went in to this same dealership and asked them and they didnt seem to know. i might need to double check with them though.

also i had heard you could buy a warranty for the EV battery is that correct? and how much would that cost? and where do i go to get that?

here is the link
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...r.selectedEntity=d2012#listing=344820630/NONE

Thanks!

· Registered
354 Posts
Caveat emptor.
I see a few other things that concern me, not only the battery range of "0" miles as shown in the listing photos 30 and 33.
The charge port door on the front fender was body color. Why is this door a different color? See listing images 5~8.
The seat base side bolsters, on both front seats, appear to be collapsed as if there were many entry-exits butt slide episodes that compressed the foam under the cover. Was this vehicle used in a delivery purpose? see listing images 22 and 25.
There are two pronounced protrusion marks on the rear console just ahead of the rear cub holders, as if the console was forced forward onto some solid objects under the console that nearly poked through. See image 27.
The right rear seat back carpeting on the cargo area face is pulled up at the lower edge. Was something slid onto a folded seat and snagged? See image 28.
What I see would make me question how this was used previously. My pessimistic thought is that these signs could indicate a delivery vehicle operated as no more than a tool by people that didn't own the car. That the car is presently not charged, even out of a sense of curiousity by the seller, and it shows evidence of some work being done to the electric service area, so I'm doubly leery.
The battery, if covered, would be covered under the GM factory warranty under the terms of the warranty as outlined in the warranty booklet. I believe it to be transferrable, but the warranty book is the official, definitive word on that. There might also be third party extended warranty coverage, either existing, or as you could buy. It might not be battery specific, but some form of bumper to bumper, or powertrain could include battery coverage. Read carefully before buying.
What's worse than a used car saleman? A big-box used car salesman.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Seems like a post for "? Buying, Selling" forum. Moved...

· Registered
4,150 Posts
Get the VIN number, create an account at www.chevrolet.com and then enter the VIN number as your car. Then look at the warranty information. Lug_Nut has the right of it though.

Reactions: trevorm253

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all the insight, this has definitely changed my outlook on how to look at used cars! As far as aesthetics go im not very concerned but yes i see what you mean about how some of these things could indicate that it was not well taken care of. but the carfax did state that they had had some of the electrical stuff looked at a couple times. And that makes you weary eh? would like to know more, but yeah if i remember right it was the dashboard electronics not the hybrid battery.

It almost seems like the only Volts worth buying are brand newish ones that have barely been driven

· Registered
178 Posts
Electric vehicles, including the Volt, don't work anymore once the traction battery goes bad. For a Volt, you need to know how many miles are available at full charge and then test drive the car until it transitions to gas to get the most basic idea of the battery condition. I also would not consider a Volt that I could not test drive starting with a full charge, even with some battery warranty left.

· Registered
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
313 Posts
LANMAN,

High mileage on a Gen 2 Volt only scares me concerning the Voltec warranty which depends on which state you live in. I agree with LANMAN, there might even be a charging issue, highly unlikely but possible. Might try the individual cell voltage feature from the mygreenvolt app while the range still shows 0 range. This will tell you alot about battery condition and differences between individual cells. Or you can test drive in "mountain mode" to see if range/green bars come up. Next I would at least make sure traction battery is fully charged then test drive before buying it. Without a rock solid traction battery and Voltec warranty I would pass myself, My 2017 Volt has had other issues as well, been through a100% transaxle failure at 40K miles:

that was all covered by the Voltec warranty, thank God! Good luck!

Stephen

Electric vehicles, including the Volt, don't work anymore once the traction battery goes bad. For a Volt, you need to know how many miles are available at full charge and then test drive the car until it transitions to gas to get the most basic idea of the battery condition. I also would not consider a Volt that I could not test drive starting with a full charge, even with some battery warranty left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts