GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Brand new owner of an older volt. Just getting things set up and I notice that there doesn't seem to be a way to use the "Phone" feature. The manual mentions to enter the config menu, and then phone options, but they do not appear there. I have a phone button on the dash, but nothing happens when I push that, or the button on the main screen. The phone does connect and play music etc via the USB under the center console.... But I don't see any bluetooth icons anywhere, so I'm not sure how to connect the phone to this beast as mentioned in the manual.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
In the 2012 Volt I’ve been driving for 10 years, I had no trouble bluetooth paring a new 4G android phone recently.

The Vehicle Personalization subsection of the Instruments and Controls section of the 2012 owner manual speaks about using the infotainment control buttons (on the center console) to bring up the Config Menu. Choices include Radio Settings, Bluetooth Settings, Display Settings, etc.

Does this menu on your vehicle NOT include the Bluetooth Setting option?

The manual chapter on the Infotainment System speaks about pairing the phone:

Pairing a Phone
1. Press the CONFIG button.
2. Select Phone Settings or Bluetooth Settings.
3. Select Bluetooth.
4. Select Pair Device (Phone).
A four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) appears on the display. The PIN is used in Step 6.
5. Start the pairing process on the cell phone to be paired to the vehicle. See the cell phone manufacturer's user guide for information on this process.
6. Locate the device named "Your Vehicle" in the list on the cell phone. Follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the PIN provided in Step 4. After the PIN is successfully entered, the system prompts you to provide a name for the paired cell phone. This name will be used to indicate which phones are paired and connected to the vehicle. The system responds with "<Phone name> has been successfully paired " after the pairing process is complete.
7. Repeat Steps 1 through 6 to pair additional phones.

I note the manual for the 2011 Volt is a little less certain about the car’s ability to use bluetooth. The infotainment section says about bluetooth,

"For vehicles equipped with Bluetooth capability, the system can interact with many cell phones (i.e., not all vehicles are so equipped)..." and the methodology for pairing uses voice recognition. It appears to be more difficult to pair a phone... if your 2012 Volt has no Bluetooth or Phone Settings option on the Config menu, perhaps your 2012 Volt was a very early model. The 2011 manual says this about Voice Recognition: To use voice recognition, press the make a call button on the steering wheel. The system responds with a tone. After the tone say "Hands Free " to use the Bluetooth voice recognition system. The system then responds with "Ready,"say a command ("Pair" is the command to start pairing a phone). For additional information say "Help" while you are in a voice recognition menu."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I have the owners manual, and they discuss Bluetooth’s setup via configure button, but there are no options there as I stated above.
Like I said. I don't know about pairing your phone through bluetooth but I know my wife does on her 2014. I think if you are pushing the "phone" button it does nothing as GM stopped assigning a phone number to the car years ago. Used to you could have a separate number for the car connected to your cell phone provider. They stopped that long ago. I see someone below gives thorough instructions for pairing.

I hope you enjoy your volt. My wife's 2014 has almost 210,000 miles on it with no real issues. She loves it. Drives like a tank in the winter. Still has original brakes due to regenerative braking. She doesn't notice it but I do that when stopping you can feel when it is nearly stopped it switches from regenerative to hydraulic brakes, so the hydraulic brakes get minimum use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2. Select Phone Settings or Bluetooth Settings.
Does this menu on your vehicle NOT include the Bluetooth Setting option?
Exactly this. The config menu does not include Phone settings or bluetooth settings. I have the manual and they also have language indicating that in some cars there may be some MyLink or Intellilink option that I should refer to in another manual, but I don't have said manual and I have no idea how to interact with those systems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If your communications module is offline, you may not have access to the bluetooth or phone settings. I had a problem with the communications module in my 2012 while the car was still in warranty, and I lost access to onstar, the compass and the bluetooth hands free for my phone. I don't know if the dealer just reset the module by taking out the fuse or reprogrammed it, but they had it working again within a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
A partly-failing telematics/vcim module may display these symptoms.The next thing to look for is in-dash nav to fail if you have it, or the dash compass to start showing "--".

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
It's almost certainly the VCIM then. It's not a hard job to replace, but the part is US$750 (and scarce -- took eight weeks to arrive) and there's about two professional hours of shop time to install and program it, so fixing is about a thousand, which may or may not be worth it for you. On cars with Nav, as I said, this module also manages the GPS, so it felt basically worth it to have mine done last summer because... well... seeing the GPS driving around in Lake Michigan got annoying. Without nav and losing only the phone pairing and dash compass (and knowing that OnStar was going away for the CDMA cars Real Soon anyway) I think I'd be far less likely to think it worth repairing.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Per hellsop's post, sounds like this would be expensive to fix. If you want the cheap route, you can get aftermarket bluetooth adapters that plug into the 12v socket and the aux-in of the center console. Good for music/podcasts, probably mediocre for calls unless you get one with an external mic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Per hellsop's post, sounds like this would be expensive to fix. If you want the cheap route, you can get aftermarket bluetooth adapters that plug into the 12v socket and the aux-in of the center console. Good for music/podcasts, probably mediocre for calls unless you get one with an external mic.
Great idea - thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
The aux-jack gizmos don't support hands-free, just the A2DP streaming audio. But the phone's hands-free mode still works, and will interrupt the streaming audio to manage calls.

The TP-LINK HA100 is an excellent choice for these. Three-gang USB power points that plug into armrest 12v jack provide one for powering the TP-LINK, and two USB for phones (and usually at higher power capacities than the actual USB port in there), leaving the car's USB port in the armress free for actual data purposes, like thumb drives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While my BT connection works fine on my 2011 I added an AZ Echo car unit for streaming music and such. Plugged it into the armrest console. Can often be had for $19.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When the VCIM module went out on my 2012 Volt I replaced it with one from Source One Auto Parts:
20957195 22739886 Bluetooth Module VCIM Gen 9.0 2011 Camaro Cruze SRX Regal
SKU: 1050010
Grand total of $58.42 shipped. That restored BT, Nav, and fixed the clock as well. OnStar didn't work but CDMA is dead anyway. It's an easy replacement under the kick panel by the driver's left foot. I don't know why the part for the Volt is multiple times the one for a Cruze . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts