GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I received the car with only one FOB. Now I'm buying a second one on amazon:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JBP2SRR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This one is uncut, I called up the dealer and he quoted $35 for cutting it, and for programming the FOB, he said:"follow the manual"
So my question is, if I don't want to cut it(not going to use the second fob physically anyway), do I still need it to be cut to be programmed?
The manual says something about using the key to unlock the door 10 times to start the programming process, does this mean the second key has to be cut too?
I noticed that with my VCXNano and SPS subscription there is an immobilizer learning process, which doesn't require the physical insert of the key into a lock. Can this process reprogram both keys?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I would take the key to a locksmith and get him to cut the key (will be cheaper) and a good idea in case you loose the original one. Then do your own programming. For those other members on the forum, while in the US you only need one key to program a second, in Canada you need two keys to start the programming which means you a programming a third (or more). One of the differences between US and Canadian cars. There is a limit to the number of keys you can program.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
reminder: the programming process in the owner's manual needs all keys to be present and to be reprogrammed at the same session. So the cutting has basically nothing to do with it other than starting the process; you can program an uncut key along with cut ones.

My understanding of what the immobilier learning process does is train the immobilizer how strong it needs to transmit an interrogation burst to a "dead" fob in the "oh no" pocket to actually activate the fob externally and read off the result, and doesn't have anything to do with the actual fob/vehicle pairing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I programmed my 2nd key with out cutting it. I removed the key metal bit from the housing on the cut key. Used that to lock and unlock the doors the 10 times or whatever when it said. instead of my new key. Placed the new key in the slot in the dash when instructed and volia. Key programmed.

I have the ability to cut my own keys. but I haven't bothered to try yet. I leave the cut one home so if there is a problem I can have it brought to me. Which is less likely to happen than a flat tire and GM doesn't give us a spare for that :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts