GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Premier getting close to 10,000 km. Left for work today (60km round trip) with 67 km of charge showing (I park indoors). Outside temps here in the Montreal area were -15 to -20 Celcius with windchill close to -30. Getting closer to work the available km on electric went up to 72km. Got to work showing 65km of charge left. On the way back the charge was varying up and down slightly to a finish of 65km. when I got home. Needless to say the ICE was running most of the time. OH well...so much for saving on gas today, may as well go in with the Rav4 tomorrow since they're calling for ice pellets in the afternoon.

Joe

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
776 Posts
It was -27C actual temp here on my way to work today. Our Volt is doing fine.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It was 5F here in MA yesterday, the ERDTT came on which is always startling because it's noisier than just running the engine on Hold. It's going to warm up tomorrow.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
My Volt has the ERDTT defeat, so I no longer have the gas engine coming on because someone in Detroit decided it should, regardless of how much battery I have left. Two winters now with no ERDTT and I don't miss it, I'm happier.

·
Registered
610 Posts
OH well...so much for saving on gas today, may as well go in with the Rav4 tomorrow since they're calling for ice pellets in the afternoon.
Do you have snow/ice tires, yet? If so, your heavier Volt with a lower center of gravity should do better for you. The only drawbacks I've experienced in messy conditions are ground clearance issues and the need for 4 wheel drive. (Usually when the snow is deep and I need one of those two other things, I need both.)

Last winter, I did some driving in snow/ice with the factory tires and it was horrible - like running on a hockey rink with tennis shoes on. This year, I put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 snow/ice tires on and its been great. Last night we had snow on top of a few mm of ice and driving the Volt was just like being on dry pavement.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My Volt has the ERDTT defeat, so I no longer have the gas engine coming on because someone in Detroit decided it should, regardless of how much battery I have left. Two winters now with no ERDTT and I don't miss it, I'm happier.
We are about to have a cold snap here in Minnesota. I'm in line right now getting one last car wash in before it's too cold.

This summer I may have to look into the ERDTT defeat methods discussed on this forum, and perhaps do it for our 2018. Too cold to mess with it now in an unheated detached garage.

It is irritating having the ICE go on when we are not going far. The 15° defer certainly helps but that's not good enough for Minnesota. I wish GM could just software update us to the lower 2019 defer settting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wish GM could just software update us to the lower 2019 defer settting.
Then that would make GM like Tesla and prove that they are serious about next gen/EV cars. (Sadly, the are repeatedly proving the opposite.) Right now, I'd just settle for a patch to fix the annoying infotainment bugs.

On another forum, we are discussing how GM has locked down the 2019 Corvette ECM. (So people can't tune the car or adjust the engine programming.) I'm told that if someone attempts to override the settings/software, the unit re-flashes itself to the original factory programming. (It's assumed this comes from the OnStar mothership.) If all this is accurate, I don't think it bodes well for our future ease of adjusting car programming. :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
Then that would make GM like Tesla and prove that they are serious about next gen/EV cars. (Sadly, the are repeatedly proving the opposite.) Right now, I'd just settle for a patch to fix the annoying infotainment bugs.

On another forum, we are discussing how GM has locked down the 2019 Corvette ECM. (So people can't tune the car or adjust the engine programming.) I'm told that if someone attempts to override the settings/software, the unit re-flashes itself to the original factory programming. (It's assumed this comes from the OnStar mothership.) If all this is accurate, I don't think it bodes well for our future ease of adjusting car programming. :(
GM is serious about next gen/EV cars only to the degree that they can be sold profitably. Elon Musk, on the other hand has said he is OK with Tesla going bankrupt as long as it stimulated the production of more and better EV's by the mainstream manufacturers.

GM as a major corporation that produces many multiples more vehicles than Tesla, is not in any position to risk bankruptcy in the promotion of EV's. Tesla's goal is to "save the world", GM's goal is to be a profitable corporation.

So far the still non existant $35k Model 3 would have to be sold at a loss. Meanwhile other manufacturers are coming out with EVs at around that price, with a similar range. And GM is still making the Bolt EV.

So far the only companies that are serious about affordable EV's, as in actual vehicles in production, are several companies, none of which are named Tesla.

I do wish GM would software update my ERDTT to the 2019 settings though.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I do wish GM would software update my ERDTT to the 2019 settings though.
Not including Tesla, most car companies never have and never will enhance a sold car in any way beyond what is required to avoid product liability, as in safety recalls and safety programs. It totally goes against the principle of planned obsolesce. They would rather leave it as a reason for you to buy the newer model. So don't hold your breath waiting for that ERDTT setting from GM.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not including Tesla, most car companies never have and never will enhance a sold car in any way beyond what is required to avoid product liability, as in safety recalls and safety programs. It totally goes against the principle of planned obsolesce. They would rather leave it as a reason for you to buy the newer model. So don't hold your breath waiting for that ERDTT setting from GM.
You are correct. I am not holding my breath. Someone has a nice "plug and play" kit on Ebay for $85 to "fix" the ERDTT, but my wife just shot it down, along with the cheap fix of just installing a resistor. She doesn't want me messing with what is mostly her car, at least until the warranty ends.

No big deal, I can live without this and other software enhancements, at least until Tesla produces a car that I can actually afford. As for planned obsolescence, I don't mind driving an "obsolete" car, I've been doing that all my life.

The software updates and every other virtue of a Tesla will remain utterly irrelevant to most consumers, until they fix one overriding flaw. Teslas are simply too darn expensive for most of us, myself included.

·
Registered
241 Posts
We are about to have a cold snap here in Minnesota. I'm in line right now getting one last car wash in before it's too cold.

It is irritating having the ICE go on when we are not going far. The 15° defer certainly helps but that's not good enough for Minnesota. I wish GM could just software update us to the lower 2019 defer settting.
I did the exact same thing last night! Plus, filled the tank, for the first (and maybe last?) time this winter.
Even with ERDTT, I love this car!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I did the exact same thing last night! Plus, filled the tank, for the first (and maybe last?) time this winter.
Even with ERDTT, I love this car!
Excellent!

We are tough and will get thru this cold snap just fine, ERDTT and all. I see tonight's Winter Carnival parade has been cancelled though.

We filled the tank too, but didn't need enough gas to get a discount on the car wash. A good problem to have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use the MyVoltHold app for ERDTT and it's a PITA. Every time you get in the car, you have to manually connect it with the bluetooth OBDII attachment. Of course its cold outside and you have to do this without gloves on. Then start the car, hit the "Engine off" button, but of course the engine starts up for a few seconds then shuts down. Then you drive for a few miles and the engine turns on again. Manually disconnect the bluetooth, then reconnect and turn the engine off again. Get out of the car to go in to the store, then get back in and repeat the whole process over again.

Next year I'm buying one of those plug in resistors to trick the temp sensor. I just want to get in, turn on the car and go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is trying to defeat a system that was put in place to protect the batteries from excessive cold? At least that is my understanding for its operation

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I don't understand why everyone is trying to defeat a system that was put in place to protect the batteries from excessive cold? At least that is my understanding for its operation
The Volt's Engine Assist Heat and the resulting Engine Running Due To Temperature (ERDTT) operation has nothing to do with protecting the battery from excessive cold. The way you protect the Volt's battery from excessive cold is to leave the Volt plugged in. Engine Assist Heat is designed to generate heat for the cabin (melting ice from windows, warming the cabin) by burning just a little gas. This is a good way to heat the cabin if you are driving ~ 8 to 10 or more miles in cold weather (colder than 35F or 15F (in the deferred mode). It is not effective if you are only driving just a few miles as by the time you arrive your gas engine will not be warm enough to provide any heat. The engine coolant must reach 160F before the warm engine coolant will circulate inside the cabin heater core.

So if you only take short trips Engine Assist Heat just wastes gas. While it is true that Engine Assist Heat can be set to function during a 10 or 20 minute preconditioning cycle if you park inside a garage then you will want either skip preconditioning (if you can't plug in) or be sure to set the option for Engine Assist Heat Plugged In to be No, if you can and do plug in, to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide buildup inside the garage from the Volt's gas engine exhaust.

Rather than a Normal and Deferred setting for Engine Assist Heat there should be a setting for Engine Assist Heat On or Off. In the 2019 Volt the Engine Assist heat function has been updated so that the low temperature threshold for the Deferred setting is -14F instead of +15F, this lower temperature addresses the issue for most Volt owners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I have snow tires. The reason I use my Rav4 in bad weather is to save the Volt from having to plow through deep snow or having some idiot slide into me. I use the Rav4 for towing either the snowmobile or the ATV to the trails. Although I don't doubt that the Volt can hold it's own in the snow,
the Rav is available and I suppose it could use a little "exercise" now and then.

Joe

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
You misunderstand but are not alone, it's a common misunderstanding. As jcanoe correctly explains, ERDTT is only for cabin warming. It has zero affect on the battery or protecting the battery from excessive cold. The battery has a separate, unrelated heating system. Perhaps you are thinking of something life the Leaf that uses the cabin's A/C system to blow air on the batteries?

·
Registered
610 Posts
GM is serious about next gen/EV cars only to the degree that they can be sold profitably.
Being profitable requires keeping customers happy and in a changing world with changing technology; that's going to require new business models. GM has the DNA for this. They (one could argue - GM did) that GM invented the upgradable car with their skateboard concept. Tesla has embraced GM's concept, brought it to reality, and it's at the center of their customer satisfaction. It will be interesting if GM steps up and takes back ownership of it.

The software updates and every other virtue of a Tesla will remain utterly irrelevant to most consumers, until they fix one overriding flaw. Teslas are simply too darn expensive
It's just out of reach, not irrelevant. It's definitely relevant because people are coming to this site expecting that their Volt should have the same upgrade features. Chrysler does OTA updates; not to the degree that Tesla does, but they have the capability and they do it. So, there is some movement on this front.

Cost is also a reason why there is no Tesla in my garage yet but I still have faith that we'll get there. Tesla or not, I'd give up all of Teslas innovations in my future car if I didn't have to mess with a dealer or a dealer's service department.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Being profitable requires keeping customers happy and in a changing world with changing technology; that's going to require new business models. GM has the DNA for this. They (one could argue - GM did) that GM invented the upgradable car with their skateboard concept. Tesla has embraced GM's concept, brought it to reality, and it's at the center of their customer satisfaction. It will be interesting if GM steps up and takes back ownership of it.

It's just out of reach, not irrelevant. It's definitely relevant because people are coming to this site expecting that their Volt should have the same upgrade features. Chrysler does OTA updates; not to the degree that Tesla does, but they have the capability and they do it. So, there is some movement on this front.

Cost is also a reason why there is no Tesla in my garage yet but I still have faith that we'll get there. Tesla or not, I'd give up all of Teslas innovations in my future car if I didn't have to mess with a dealer or a dealer's service department.
I beg to differ about dealers vs Tesla. When I bought my Volt in 2016 none of the dealers that I went to put any pressure on me and when I made the purchase they didn't try to sell me an extended warranty, undercoating, financing or a spare Johnson bar, it was nothing like it was in the past. The place where it is like it was in the past, i.e. What can I do to get you to buy a car today, was at Tesla. They put on a full court press even though I told them that this was just my first test drive and that I always buy my cars in the spring, never in the fall. Tesla continues to call and e-mail me even though I've responded to their e-mails by telling them that I've decided to put off buying a BEV until at least next year.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I beg to differ about dealers vs Tesla. When I bought my Volt in 2016 none of the dealers that I went to put any pressure on me and when I made the purchase they didn't try to sell me an extended warranty, undercoating, financing or a spare Johnson bar, it was nothing like it was in the past. The place where it is like it was in the past, i.e. What can I do to get you to buy a car today, was at Tesla. They put on a full court press even though I told them that this was just my first test drive and that I always buy my cars in the spring, never in the fall. Tesla continues to call and e-mail me even though I've responded to their e-mails by telling them that I've decided to put off buying a BEV until at least next year.
My experience at the Chevy dealer where I bought our 2018 Volt has also been very good. It probably didn't hurt that at this family dealership, one of the family members is on his third leased Volt. He came over as soon as he heard we were buying one, to tell us all the things he loves about it.

We got the price I was looking for too, with very little dickering. In fact maybe I could have done a bit better, as it was almost too easy, but I'm happy. I will admit that the finance guy tried to talk us into an extended warranty. He let it go pretty quickly though once he saw he was getting nowhere.

As for the service department, I've only been there once in 14 months of ownership. We had our first "complimentary" oil change, and that went well.

I've had no experience with Tesla, but dislike the way they show a final price based on assumed gas savings. And I guess one can't negotiate a lower price either. Also an extra $1500-$2000 if you want any color but black? I hate black cars so much, I would want a discount.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts