Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems:
1) One second delay
2) Won’t come to a full stop
3) Fixed; not adjustable
Solutions:
1) Fix the delay, make it react instantly…
2) Make it come to the full stop like GM likes to brag about in the Bolt…You could in many circumstances keep your foot on the gas and brake with the paddle…If the regen was adjustable, you could brake even less often…
3) A big problem with this is it hard to judge when using the paddle when stopping/slowing down on a hill, whether uphill or downhill…I believe GM went from a fixed regen paddle to an adjustable paddle/regen (hard you press the strong the regen) it would be a lot more fun…

Your thoughts?

·
Banned
398 Posts
I think the paddle should be proportional from 0 to -60KW, like the brake pedal but only regen and then to a complete stop. (ie, you cant slam on the brakes with the paddle but you CAN bring it to a complete stop with regen only).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Since my 2011 doesn't have paddles, and if I had a say in the design of the Volt (which I don't, just as you don't) I would make the paddles engage a pure "no regen" coast mode. I could then choose to drive in "D" or "L" and defeat regen altogether with the paddles. Just my thoughts.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hint: Use the regen pedal. The regen pedal provides fully adjustable regen all the way to max regen, starts instantly, comes to a full stop, and will engage friction brakes when max regen is reached and you still need additional slowing power. Also safer for emergency stops. It rocks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wish the regen paddle was variable instead of fixed. I find myself trying to guess the appropriate time to engage it when I'm coming up to a stop. Also, I believe the brake light turns on as soon as you engage the paddle, I'd change it to only turning on below a certain speed.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The paddles (two) on my ELR could definitely be better. The regen is too low for one thing. And don't tell me to use the brake pedal - one pedal driving with paddle regen is better if refined a little.

1. Come to a full stop. This is the most annoying thing about ELR's implementation. ACC comes to a full stop, so, it's all programming.
2. Adjustable or fully variable regen. I agree that a pressure-sensor type of regen on the paddles would be great. If not that, then ability to set the regen amount in a config.
3. Better integration with ACC. Regen paddle currently cancels ACC. A config setting so that regen paddle will resume ACC would be good. Brakes should still cancel ACC imho.
4. If I apply both paddles, I should get double the regen.

I use regen paddles mostly on surface streets (<40mph) and mostly to set up for turns. When commuting and on higher-speed roads, I use ACC 90% of the time.

It is fairly easy to judge when to engage regen paddle after using them for a while. Flicking them on and off can simulate a variable-rate regen.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What's the advantage of the paddle over the pedal?
There is no real advantage other than moving a huge leg vs a smaller arm that is already in position. With the current design, there are disadvantages thus this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is no real advantage other than moving a huge leg vs a smaller arm that is already in position. With the current design, there are disadvantages thus this thread.
Doesn't the foot pedal use the regular brakes and the hand paddle regenerates power? That would be the difference. Maybe I am wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts