GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ship the car in a container. I will have to drive it in, park it, crawl out the hatch, disconnect the 12v battery and shut the hatch. Any idea how I can get in to reconnect it? Using the hidden key slot isn't going to be a solution because I can't open the door wide enough to get in and can't roll the windows down. Doesn't the g1 have a hidden trunk key slot? Can't fine one in the g2. I could just leave the hatch open but I don't want it bouncing around. I could connect some small wires and run them out the hatch so I could hook up an external jump pack to unlock the doors I guess

·
Registered
49 Posts
Peevee,

There is no mechanical key operated mechanism that I am aware of, the gen2 Volt, it uses a solenoid only to unlatch the hatch. Temporarily removing the striker and tying down the hatch with a rope for transport or wiring two contacts hanging outside to the release the solenoid with an external 12 volts to open it later could work. I see no easy solution for your dilemma

Stephen

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might thought as well. Might be easiest to just leave it connected and hope they don't notice, or the alarm doesn't go off. They will not have a key

·
Registered
49 Posts
Peevee,

The way I see it in the diagram, you would have to dissconnect the solenoid connector and apply 12+ to the blue/yellow wire. disconnecting the solenoid connector will be required because Blu/Yel is grounded when hatch release relay is open or "off " postion. To get access to the hatch solenoid connector interior panel on the hatch would have to be removed.

Stephen

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
606 Posts
There's a shipping mode in the software, also.

·
Administrator
20,105 Posts
Don't know about Gen 2, but Gen 1 has a small removable panel on the hatch plastic. Pop it off, insert a a flat blade screwdriver diagonally into the square hole, turn to unlock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't know about Gen 2, but Gen 1 has a small removable panel on the hatch plastic. Pop it off, insert a a flat blade screwdriver diagonally into the square hole, turn to unlock.
Hard to do that when he can't get inside the car :p

This is an interesting question. I was wondering if you could use the manual release Steverino posted, see my signature for a custom-ish tool that fits in there (for gen1, probably for gen2 but not sure)... could you create some sort of mechanism that holds that tool in place, with some clothesline that wraps around it and extends out the left and/or right side of the hatch when you close it. Then pull the line to twist the tool and open the hatch? Might work.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Maybe the simplest thing is run a pair of wires to the battery cables and leave them hanging out of the hatch. At jumper battery can be hooked up to them to temporarily provide 12v power to unlock the car. Just have to be careful running the wires to prevent a short, etc. Something could be done if you had access to the front of the car and left the hood unlatched. There's a jumper point under the hood like in Gen 1?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Cant you simply put some spacer that prevents the hatch from locking closed, and hold it down (not locked) using a strap?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Cant you simply put some spacer that prevents the hatch from locking closed, and hold it down (not locked) using a strap?
Even better idea. Heck. If it's going in a locked up container there's probably little reason for the car to be locked.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Search for something called Transport Mode.
I did, the problem is it's no better than having the battery disconnected. It disables the remote sensors so I have to open the door with the key and try to disable transport mode with just an arm reaching in. End of the day I just left it connected. It'll be underway for less than 2 weeks and I doubt anyone will notice

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably but how do you hold the hatch down without scratching anything? Seemed like additional risk

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
606 Posts
Too late now, but a tender harness on the battery out through the hatch would have worked:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Obviously that is before I screwed chocks to the floor in front, behind, and beside the back wheels and ran 3klb + ratchet straps fore and aft on both rear wheels

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Too late now, but a tender harness on the battery out through the hatch would have worked:

Yep, it could but there probably won't be power to plug in a tender so you'd need the other side of that connector and a battery. Plain wire would have been fine too but by the time I thought to do that everything I had was packed in the container

1 - 20 of 30 Posts