GM Volt Forum banner

How Can I Change On-Screen Push Button Display Style?

4904 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Mister Dave
Hi,

I bought a 2014 Chevy Volt a couple of weeks ago. Somehow I managed to change the on-screen push button display style, and now I do not know how to change it back.

This is how the buttons look now:

Text Vehicle registration plate Font Automotive exterior Electric blue

It looked like this before:

Text Electric blue Font

I am not talking about what the buttons do. I am talking about the appearance of the buttons. There is a thick dark line in the lower half of the buttons that was not there before. I believe that it is supposed to be a "3D" style. But it does not look "3D" to me at all.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to change the display style?

Thank you.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator
23,406 Posts
Whatever you do, don't look at you owner's manual.

· Registered
409 Posts
Looks okay to me. Different screens have different selections at the top menu bar. The "way it looks now" is the menu bar when on the now playing screen (radio). The "way it looked before" is the menu bar when on the energy screen. Push the leaf button, located near the blue power button and it will take you the the energy screen with this menu. This is all explained in the Entertainment User Guide/Manual.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks okay to me. Different screens have different selections at the top menu bar. The "way it looks now" is the menu bar when on the now playing screen (radio). The "way it looked before" is the menu bar when on the energy screen. Push the leaf button, located near the blue power button and it will take you the the energy screen with this menu. This is all explained in the Entertainment User Guide/Manual.
I am not talking about what the buttons do. I am talking about the appearance of the buttons. There is a thick black line in the lower half of the buttons that was not there before. I believe that it is supposed to be a "3D" style. But it does not look "3D" to me at all.

· Registered
10,056 Posts
I am not talking about what the buttons do. I am talking about the appearance of the buttons. There is a thick black line in the lower half of the buttons that was not there before. I believe that it is supposed to be a "3D" style. But it does not look "3D" to me at all.
I didn't check the energy screen, but all of my blue buttons have what you describe as a "thick black line", and the green ones don't. The blue buttons on the energy screen may have a different appearance. There is no menu setting for changing button appearance that I'm aware of.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The graphical design of the screens is really poor. Outdated, even for 2011. As you have discovered, there is little consistency between screens.
I am afraid that it is not really a consistency issue. Just to make myself more clear, I changed the first image in my original post. Now you can see that we are comparing the same screen.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for understanding what I am talking about. However, I am convinced that there is a way to change it, because I changed the screen somehow to display the dark line. It was like the second picture before. There was no dark line. I just cannot remember how I did it.

· Registered
409 Posts
Just got back from a run to the store in the VOlt ... the OP is correct, there is a dark blue line under the text on the blue menu tabs, on my Volt as well. This is new, the top and bottom of the menu tabs were a gradient dark to light shading, with the lighter color in the middle. The bottom shading is now different. My wife agrees, this changed recently (last day or so). I did not change any settings, so my conclusion is the Volt is doing this on its own ... although I don't know why. Good news is the shading on tab does not matter as to how the Volt performs.

5,595 Posts
Thank you for understanding what I am talking about. However, I am convinced that there is a way to change it, because I changed the screen somehow to display the dark line. It was like the second picture before. There was no dark line. I just cannot remember how I did it.
The second picture in your original post is what the buttons looked like in a Model Year 2011 or 2012 Volt. Once MyLink came along, all the buttons look like the first picture in your original post.

Unless somebody has a pic of the square buttons in the first picture that doesn't have the lines (and not from the MY2011-2012 Volt's rounded buttons), it seems like this may just be a detail that you didn't immediately observe until now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.