GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How are the G2 Headlights?

Not a fan of yellowish high beams and confess I haven't driven on the highway at night yet, but what are you guys doing about the high beams? Any one convert to LED or a white halogen yet?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I replaced the high beam bulbs with 9011 "HIR" bulbs... they are significantly brighter, slightly more white, and use the same wattage, but don't last as long. How many hundreds of hours do you expect to have your high beams on though?

Search Amazon for "Replacement for Wagner Lighting 9011 Halogen Capsule - 2 PACK"

You have to trim one tab to make them fit as shown here: http://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html

Honestly though I almost never use the high beams since most of my driving is in populated areas so I feel it was mostly a waste of time. Not totally, because the few times I really need my high beams I want them as bright as possible. Also, if you live somewhere more rural you might use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Where I live it's very rural, when I leave town that is.

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replaced stock Halogens with LED's

I replaced the headlights on my 2015 Volt with LED's from Xenon Depot. They were an easy plug in using existing wiring. They fit into the headlight enclosure with no problem.

They are much whiter than stock. They illuminate a somewhat wider swatch of pavement, more evenly. The high beam is also better than stock, although far from the best lights I've seen. It's a worthwhile improvement, but nowhere near as good as the lights in the Gen 2 Volts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had several passing cars flashing their high beams at me as if I had my high beams on (They weren't) in the few weeks I have owned my new Volt. They are probably the best lights for nighttime visibility I have ever had. But I do worry that I might be blinding on-coming traffic. High beam really lights things up! I find the color fine, sort of blueish, but not overly so.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Gen 1 is terrible
Gen 2 is very good
I've always assumed that GM thought the average GEN1 Volt owner was going to be driving around well lit Suburbs at slower than highways speeds(i.e. Less than 45 mph)...:rolleyes:

And to answer the OP's question...Better than the backup light (at least in the 2013)...:)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, stock first gen Volt headlights sucked. Bright LED's helped some, but usually with increased glare.

I suspect I will swap out my high beams with something whiter, probably LED, since they're easy to replace, and preferably fanless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I love how Gen 1 has black headlights but Gen 2 doesn't. But then Gen 1 has halogens and Gen 2 has LED's.

GM just couldn't get it 100% right

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
compared to my previous car the low beams on the G2 are not great, the high beams are acceptable
What was your previous car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found a great deal on amazon for led bulbs that replace th me factory halogen 9005 high beams. These are plug n play and the dust covers fit back on with the new bulbs installed. The color is pure white and they are really bright! Very happy with the upgrade so far. Huge improvement over stock high beams in my 2018 Volt. Here’s the link :

BEAMTECH 9005 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh HB3 CSP Chips... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD4HV3/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_7P6tAbACHGS27

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should also mention I tried originally using Sylvania Silver Star bulbs that were the same price as those led bulbs I just got and the light was near the same as the stock halogens. Too yellow for my liking and not much brighter then stock in my opinion. Those led bulbs were vastly superior in all categories

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link. Do you test one side stock vs one side with LED?

I like that they are fanless and the LED's are physically small, closer to filament size, which is supposedly good for less glare. Price was right so placed an order.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Found a great deal on amazon for led bulbs that replace th me factory halogen 9005 high beams. These are plug n play and the dust covers fit back on with the new bulbs installed. The color is pure white and they are really bright! Very happy with the upgrade so far. Huge improvement over stock high beams in my 2018 Volt. Here’s the link :

BEAMTECH 9005 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh HB3 CSP Chips... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHD4HV3/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_7P6tAbACHGS27
Thanks for the review and the link. I just ordered some for my 2018 Volt. I really like my dim lights so much better than Gen1 volt.
I don't like the yellow bright lights.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You neglected to mention how fun those bulbs are to replace. Managed to get them installed yesterday, but wondering which side needs to be R&R'd. The pattern isn't the same left and right. Left seems too tall (or maybe my headlight needs cleaning).

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love how Gen 1 has black headlights but Gen 2 doesn't. But then Gen 1 has halogens and Gen 2 has LED's.

GM just couldn't get it 100% right
Look again - the Gen 2 has black buckets.

What was your previous car?
This - the LED low beams in the Gen 2 volt are outstanding. The IIHS seems to agree, as well, as (with the Intellibeam, at least) they are rated Good (highest rating). They performed extremely well, auto high beams just seem to be a requirement for "Good", for whatever reason.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You neglected to mention how fun those bulbs are to replace. Managed to get them installed yesterday, but wondering which side needs to be R&R'd. The pattern isn't the same left and right. Left seems too tall (or maybe my headlight needs cleaning).
I also received my LED lights.
I agree it was a job getting them replaced.

I noticed the right light was great and the left was better but just ok.
I thought may the bulb needed adjusted but you had the same results. Mine are not dirty.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts