GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the Regal Tour X. An AWD with some decent room but none of the boxiness of the BOLT or the rest of the crop of SUVs. I would so move to this were it to be the future home of the Voltec. Is this form factor even an option with current battery technology? I’m just wondering why it’s not been considered by other manufacturers?

Is it the voice of the market that is determining this?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-buick-regal-tourx-wagon-first-drive-review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Another Voltec platform? Maybe hybrid or e-assist systems to tide things over to the brave new "all electric" future. I'd assume Voltec goes extinct with the Volt.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I doubt that there are going to be anymore Voltec vehicles. As batteries get cheaper there is less and less reason to have a range extender. The Bolt and the Volt are priced almost the same and the Bolt came out a couple of years ago, the next generation of BEVs will have batteries that cost considerably less than the Bolt's. Voltec is significantly more complex than Boltec, it made sense when batteries were astronomically expensive but we've passed that point. I would have liked to see one more generation of Volt but it would have had to have shown up by this year and it didn't, instead they killed the Volt altogether. My guess is that the next EV from GM will be a mid sized SUV, as batteries get cheaper they will do increasingly larger vehicles but it may take a while before the whole line is electrified.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I love that design rather than yet another cookie cutter SUV, and I’d strongly favor more Voltec applications, but as said above I’d doubt they would do it.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
776 Posts
I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I have been a wagon guy for 20 years. Caprice, Roadmaster, and my current daily is a CTS wagon. SUVs make no sense to me. Wagons... performance, mileage, handling of a sedan, utility of a truck.

GM will never make it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The pictured vehicle is actually an Opel Insignia Country Tourer, imported and re-badged a Buick.

Vauxhall~Insignia~Country~Tourer~(8).jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another Voltec platform? Maybe hybrid or e-assist systems to tide things over to the brave new "all electric" future. I'd assume Voltec goes extinct with the Volt.
I'm afraid you are probably correct in that the Voltec system will end with the Volt. Much more likely to see a small SUV EV like the Buick Encore since that seems to be what everyone wants/needs now days. I would definitely look at a small wagon though. I've always had a "thing" for wagons...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Does GM have any wagons left? Opel isn't part of GM anymore so I'd expect that Buick to go away pretty soon. The only wagon that Chevy had was the Cruise wagon and that died with the Volt. The Bolt is wagon like although they call it a CUV, would you call it a wagon?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Americans don't buy wagons, they'd rather buy jacked up wagons, called SUVs. Europeans would buy it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but I had a Mazdaspeed 3 back in the late 2010's and it was a fantastic car/hatch/wagon. Great interior space, great body lines, and surprisingly good economy. Throw a Voltec platform in that and I think you would have a winner. Or, just go straight up EV with that platform. It would work well as either one.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
A CUV is a small SUV? What's the difference between a CUV and a Wagon? SUV's haven't been truck based for a long time have they? I call my '88 Tercel 4WD the first SUV (came out in 85, Honda had a similar model), of course that was before there was such a thing as an SUV.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I trading in my 2017 Volt for a Tour X only because I needed a bigger car with a load area. The Tour X is a great package that would be a good candidate for the Voltec drive train. I have yet to see another Tour X on the road so I don't think there is much chance of an EV /EREV in its future. I loved driving the Volt and it is taking time to adjust to the gas stops.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've always thought that modern day "SUV's" or "CUV's" are nothing more than beefed up station wagons anyhow. The real benefit to me of the SUV is the towing capacity, which is getting harder and harder to find outside of the full size pickup. Suburbans have been relegated to 5000 pounds of towing since they discontinued the 3/4 ton. That's what I drive when I'm not in my volt.

I don't see the benefit of "suv's" like much of what's commanding the attention of carmakers and carbuyers these days.

As for the voltec system, I personally love the range extender, but i think that there's not much market for that, as hybrid technology gets better. Hopefully the 2023 line will make us happy...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I remember when the Toyota Venza first came out. It was clearly a Camry station wagon, but of course they didn't call it that. Didn't sell very well and was canceled.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd go for a wagon in either pure electric or Voltec based. I traded in a Volvo wagon on the Volt, and although I like the Volt, I sure do miss that wagon! Better handling and economy than an SUV, and the ability to haul some items without the bulk of a big pickup. I grew up in a family that owned wagons and missed them when the US brands dropped them. But the last wagons GM produced were a joke - those big Caprice and Buick behemoths that wallowed down the road should be extinct.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would buy a car that looks like that Buick wagon in a heartbeat. Very practical layout and also looks great. I can even see some styling cues in it that suggest CUV, so I think there could be some love for it in the US market, especially if they emphasized that a little more. Subaru has done great with the Outback since forever. That is just a Legacy wagon with a lift.

I also fear Voltec is phasing out, but I don't think PHEV is dead. There are still Prius Primes and Claritys selling well. Also, I think as long as there are regular hybrids, there should be a place for a PHEV in the market. The two are very similar technologies, with battery size being the main difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The pictured vehicle is actually an Opel Insignia Country Tourer, imported and re-badged a Buick. View attachment 156775
Kind of... they did do some modifications (slight) for the US market. One thing I really wanted to love the tour x, but the one thing I don't is the need for premium gas. I wish they had found a way to use lower octane fuel. Or give us a nice diesel option, like they did in the Equinox (which we also own).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Kind of... they did do some modifications (slight) for the US market. One thing I really wanted to love the tour x, but the one thing I don't is the need for premium gas. I wish they had found a way to use lower octane fuel. Or give us a nice diesel option, like they did in the Equinox (which we also own).
My Tour X runs fine on regular gas. The owners manual does not forbid the use of regular.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts