GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have decided on a Volt and am trying to find the best 'new' car deals out there, preferably in Houston. (Definitely Texas...want to take advantage of the $2,500 state rebate.) Any purchasing tips welcome, particularly on how to find new 2013s. (I recently missed out on a sweet one!) also, I saw on another post in this forum that new 2013s should be had for at or below $30k. From what I've been seeing out there, that's going to be hard in this town.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Hi everyone. I have decided on a Volt and am trying to find the best 'new' car deals out there, preferably in Houston. (Definitely Texas...want to take advantage of the $2,500 state rebate.) Any purchasing tips welcome, particularly on how to find new 2013s. (I recently missed out on a sweet one!) also, I saw on another post in this forum that new 2013s should be had for at or below $30k. From what I've been seeing out there, that's going to be hard in this town.
How wide of a search did you do? Given we are past halfway through the year, you might want to wait until oct/nov/dec and see what GM rebates appear for 2014s. Although it was recently revealed that the 2015s will have more battery capacity, thus more range. I can't wait to see what people can achieve in real world driving. In IL when I was doing my search, I found that the more rural, the better change you had of finding a remaining car that they just didn't know how to sell. But my local dealer (town of 5000) had the 2013 that I bought. It was overpriced for this town, and was in the lot for at lest 8 months with 700 test drive miles. So they were eager to unload it.

·
877 Posts
Don't pay even 30k for a 2013 you are buying a car that is two years old. Try to get into a 14 or be closer to 27k on a 2013

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Don't pay even 30k for a 2013 you are buying a car that is two years old. Try to get into a 14 or be closer to 27k on a 2013
If you plan to trade the car in and want to maximize resale value, yes, but new, but if you are the drive it forever type, I say get the best deal you can get and forget it. I don't care about depreciation because my plan is to drive it forever and when I run out of ICE cars to replace with EVs I will hand my volt down to one of my children when something better comes along. I only trade in old broken down cars, never newish perfectly good ones. I wish they had cash for clunkers at the same time as volt availability. I could have cleaned up.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Congrats in advance!

I found the best deal through Autonation over at the Gulf Freeway. Most other dealerships didn't want to budge on pricing. My only (minor?) gripes with Autonation were that they didn't fully charge the Volt prior to delivery and we actually did the whole "going back to manager" dance and the "wait, you're leaving? okay, let me try something else." This, despite having cleared up all the #'s via e-mail a week prior.

Of all my years purchasing vehicles for myself, friends and family, that's the first time i've experienced the stereotype car buying process. What usually only takes me a couple of hours to do, took nearly 5.

Anyhow, just check around and see if anyone has leftover '13s. Classic Chevy had a '12 sitting on the lot for a couple of years before they finally managed to sell it just a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Valere, there's a 2012 in the rio grande valley if you're interested. It's a loaded version with an original $45k sticker. For grins, I emailed them and they offered a little over $40k OTD. I politely declined. LOL

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Valere, there's a 2012 in the rio grande valley if you're interested. It's a loaded version with an original $45k sticker. For grins, I emailed them and they offered a little over $40k OTD. I politely declined. LOL
I actually bought our White Diamond demo in Victoria. Same story, asked them for a price, they knocked off a few grand, and I responded we were too far apart, thank you for your time, etc. They came back with a much lower offer, and asked if they got my attention. Well, they did, since we ended up buying the car.

I lucked out because they were anxious to get rid of it. Volts don't sell well in truck country. My advice would be to seek out the small dealers that might have a 2012-2013 still left. Just be sure you get the MSO (manufacturer statement of origin) or you won't be eligible for the federal tax credit.

3,600 Posts

Hello Valere,

Jumping to the EV side is a great decision and will change your whole driving experience. It appears you are just looking for advice from forum members, but if you would like my assistance locating a vehicle in the Houston feel free to send me a private message. I would be happy to assist in anyway. In that message just include more specifics for your future Volt.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
366 Posts
A week ago, Capitol Chevrolet in Austin had a demo 2014 with 2000 miles (never titled) advertised for $29,500... but I bought it. Haha. I looked online at dealers all over Texas (Houston, Austin, DFW, San Antonio, and all the small towns in between) and Capitol had the best prices. Definitely check them out. My sales person was April West. If you call, ask for her and tell her that Chris (with the white Volt) sent you. I ended up passing on $1000 in rebates and paid $30,500 and chose the 0% for 72 option instead. I'll apply the $10k in rebates that's coming to early payments and have a $20.5k car paid off in closer to 50 months. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Valere,

Jumping to the EV side is a great decision and will change your whole driving experience. It appears you are just looking for advice from forum members, but if you would like my assistance locating a vehicle in the Houston feel free to send me a private message. I would be happy to assist in anyway. In that message just include more specifics for your future Volt.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Katie...feel free to email me at [email protected]

3,600 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called them too and they seem to be starting to smell the coffee but still not quite there. Amazing how many dealers out there have "new" 2011s and 12s at ridiculously high prices...#clueless

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
About three weeks ago I picked up a LOADED NEW 2013 (Sport wheels, two toned interior, NAV, Safety Package 1) for 31K + tax and $100 doc fee. I'm in NJ and there were NONE convenient. I drove about 120 miles to get the car. Rented a car and dropped it off at the dealership. Took my new volt home.

There were others within a couple hours' drive advertised for 29K, but not as loaded. There were some base model 14s, also far away, listed for around 28K--some where listed less than that but then I discovered some dealerships SUBTRACT the expected $7,500 tax credit for their advertised price. You should verify all this stuff in e-mail before taking any drive more than an hour -- I'm glad I did, as it prevented me from wasting time.

By the way, I found that I had to use multiple car listing sites in order to find the best deal. Some were on Autotrader, others only on Edmunds, and others only on the Cars.com app. Don't ask me why. I found mine using the cars.com app I believe.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just as a quick update, I found 6 on cars.com and 7 on autotrader (new 2012s/2013s) within 200 miles of zip 77002. Obviously, your color options are a little more limited. For some reason, the silvers and the whites seem to linger. If you're not too picky on colors and options you can certainly make a deal someplace.

By the way, I did 99% of my deal over the phone before setting foot outside my house. This saved me time and money. They first offered 3.9% on a 72 month loan. I hung up, made a few quick online applications, got a better offer, then the dealer matched it. i also verified all other "fees" and got a firm "out the door price." I just made it clear to the dealership that if the deal was good, I was driving TODAY to get the car--and I offered to put down a substantial refundable deposit over the phone (which they graciously accepted).

It was overall one of the better experiences I had buying a car, and getting a beauty of a volt didn't hurt!

Good luck with your hunt and I hope to see you as a contributing member of our great community soon!

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Just as a quick update, I found 6 on cars.com and 7 on autotrader (new 2012s/2013s) within 200 miles of zip 77002. Obviously, your color options are a little more limited. For some reason, the silvers and the whites seem to linger. If you're not too picky on colors and options you can certainly make a deal someplace.

By the way, I did 99% of my deal over the phone before setting foot outside my house. This saved me time and money. They first offered 3.9% on a 72 month loan. I hung up, made a few quick online applications, got a better offer, then the dealer matched it. i also verified all other "fees" and got a firm "out the door price." I just made it clear to the dealership that if the deal was good, I was driving TODAY to get the car--and I offered to put down a substantial refundable deposit over the phone (which they graciously accepted).

It was overall one of the better experiences I had buying a car, and getting a beauty of a volt didn't hurt!

Good luck with your hunt and I hope to see you as a contributing member of our great community soon!
I had a similar experience. Chose between a 2014 silver base with no options and a loaded 2013 white diamond tricoat for $1500 more. Chose the tricoat. I wasn't picky about the color, but blue or red would have been nice. For some reason I didn't gravitate towards the gray or black. I'm really curious what the new iridescent pearl is going to look like.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I picked up my new 2014 Volt in May and I absolutely love this car. I'm retired and feel like a 25yr. old buying the new car he dreamed of. I would drive a few states away for one of these Volts knowing now how they preform. You won't regret buying a new Volt wait and see. I hope you get the Volt you want and start enjoying. We only get one go around in this life so make the best of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Come for a Holiday to Melbourne Australia and with the exchange rate you'll still have some change to put a good looking pair of wheels on the Volt... It's a crying shame us Aussie's can't get behind these cars... I for one can not wait to get my hands on one. It makes sense to me. The only gripes I have about the Volt is that for the money they could have included ( in the Australian model the Holden Volt) Bluetooth audio streaming, park assist, rear camera & electric seats. Not having those things is not a deterrant for me, but... Just having a whinge.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A week ago, Capitol Chevrolet in Austin had a demo 2014 with 2000 miles (never titled) advertised for $29,500... but I bought it. Haha. I looked online at dealers all over Texas (Houston, Austin, DFW, San Antonio, and all the small towns in between) and Capitol had the best prices. Definitely check them out. My sales person was April West. If you call, ask for her and tell her that Chris (with the white Volt) sent you. I ended up passing on $1000 in rebates and paid $30,500 and chose the 0% for 72 option instead. I'll apply the $10k in rebates that's coming to early payments and have a $20.5k car paid off in closer to 50 months. Not a bad deal.
Followed your advice Chris, but after haggling back-and-forth with April and her boss on that $29,800 Volt they suddenly pulled the car from inventory claiming it was a "loaner" (like yours) and had another 60 days to go before it could be sold. That's the bad news. The better news is (a) i think it was an honest mistake and they're trying to make it up to me with a sweetener or two; (b) I can still have the car if I want to wait (thinking about it); (c) we agreed a good/fair price; and (d) the interior is black after all (the pix indicated pebble beige cloth...an initial turn off given exterior color). Will keep you posted on how it all turns out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks for all the advice/insight. I'm getting closer to FFGPF Day (Free From Gas Pumps Forever) and will keep you all posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts