GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this information but couldn't find it...

I am going to install a receptacle in my garage for my 240v charger and was wondering what people suggest for monitoring the energy usage on the circuit. I want to be able to separate this usage from the total household electric cost. I've looked at the TED 5000, the EKM-25IDS, and just installing a meter can on the circuit. I think what I need is something that logs daily usage, so I don't have to worry about when the house meter is read by the utility company. TED 5000 is the most expensive, but seems like the best option. The other two just measure total usage.

What are you using for your energy usage logging?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I tried searching for this information but couldn't find it...

I am going to install a receptacle in my garage for my 240v charger and was wondering what people suggest for monitoring the energy usage on the circuit. I want to be able to separate this usage from the total household electric cost. I've looked at the TED 5000, the EKM-25IDS, and just installing a meter can on the circuit. I think what I need is something that logs daily usage, so I don't have to worry about when the house meter is read by the utility company. TED 5000 is the most expensive, but seems like the best option. The other two just measure total usage.

I took adifferent approach. I used a Kill-a-watt to log for a while, used it for calibration and then us my voltstats.net logs to estimate based on change in SOC of the battery. I checked it with the kill-a-watt and am within 3-4% which is close enough for me. Probably cannot do that with the 240v unless you did install it on a plug.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have the Blink level 2 and it has built in monitoring and status that I can download from the website. When it works, you can get charging details from OnStar and download into a csv file.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I use a Coulomb Technology CT5000 30 AMP L2 EVSE and can read/download a variety of data from their ChargePoint Network at http://www.mychargepoint.net/.

Don't know if this deal is still available, but that EVSE was free in some areas and I was able to negotiate a reasonable installation price from SPX. The incremental installation price over what my local electrician quoted was not unreasonable considering that it included a 3-year warranty on parts and labor should anything go wrong with the EVSE.

KNS

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I use a Coulomb Technology CT5000 30 AMP L2 EVSE and can read/download a variety of data from their ChargePoint Network at http://www.mychargepoint.net/.

Don't know if this deal is still available, but that EVSE was free in some areas and I was able to negotiate a reasonable installation price from SPX. The incremental installation price over what my local electrician quoted was not unreasonable considering that it included a 3-year warranty on parts and labor should anything go wrong with the EVSE.
Exact same here but I also joined a pilot program with my local utility provider (ConEd in NY). At no cost to me, they replaced my house meter with a smart meter and installed a sub meter in front of my Coulomb CT-50X EVSE (that I obtained through SPX). It also allows me to see a breakdown of my EV charging versus overall electricity consumption.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts