GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a storm last week we lost all electric power. Temperature about 20 deg. (F) Volt was in garage, charging with 115v. Next day, with house power restored, I disconnected Volt charging cable to do an errand. Many error messages, headlights on but dim and then everything totally dark. Gear shift frozen. I jump started it (using battery terminals in trunk) but car would not move. I was able to move gear shift to Neutral so car would roll. Called for tow to dealer who replaced 12v. battery ($400 for diagnosis, battery and charge). My question: what actions should I take on Volt when we have a storm power outage?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Sounds to me like your 12 volt battery just picked an odd time to die on its own. A power outage would not cause the 12 volt battery to die. However, just as a safe move, when a thunderstorm is coming through I always try to unplug my Volt and also the EVSE until the storm has passed, just in case a lightning bolt decides to hit nearby.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would not be surprised if we hear more "horror" stories after this recent deep freeze in 1/2 the country. I'm sure that power outages will be part of the story. It's one of the issues with EV's that we are still learning about......the effects of VERY cold weather and in some cases complete lack of access to power for charging. Good Luck everyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had multiple instances where my Volt was charging during a power outage, but never experienced anything like you're speaking of. My guess would be that somehow, a surge of power somehow affected your 12v battery. If anything, and your Volt is still under warranty, I would have tried to have the battery replaced under warranty, and played dumb as to the fact of the power going out. If not, your home owner's insurance might cover it, but then again, do you want to file a claim against that? Probably not if your deductible is the typical $1,000.00 and you have had any other claims in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
During a storm last week we lost all electric power. Temperature about 20 deg. (F) Volt was in garage, charging with 115v. Next day, with house power restored, I disconnected Volt charging cable to do an errand. Many error messages, headlights on but dim and then everything totally dark. Gear shift frozen. I jump started it (using battery terminals in trunk) but car would not move. I was able to move gear shift to Neutral so car would roll. Called for tow to dealer who replaced 12v. battery ($400 for diagnosis, battery and charge). My question: what actions should I take on Volt when we have a storm power outage?
Please, include the model year/age of your Volt and the 12V battery that was just replaced.

When mains power is lost, assuming this did not happen during an electrical storm, when power is restored there can be a voltage spike that can damage electronic equipment (not batteries though, they are not fused internally or have other internal electronic components.)

In the future, if the power goes out while you are at home, I would unplug things like televisions, computers, routers, printers and of course the Volt, while the power is still out, to avoid any damage when power is restored. In this case if the dealer's service department found no other damage/issue to your Volt such as a blown fuse or damaged charging module then consider the bad 12V battery a coincidence. (It is also possible that disconnecting the 12V battery reset some of the Volt's systems that were scrambled by the power outage but not permanently damaged. (I'm not saying that your 12V AGM battery was not bad and did not need to be replaced but it is possible.)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
.... Called for tow to dealer who replaced 12v. battery ($400 for diagnosis, battery and charge). ....
That much to pop the hood or the hatch and put a meter on the 12V posts to read voltage?
And then sell you a battery that has been sitting on their shelf for gadknows how long?

Those guys.......:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts