GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer has been bugging me about getting scheduled maintenance done (there). I had my tires rotated there once and I spent hours in the waiting room. I was so mad I made a fool of myself. How do I convey to the dealer that I'd rather have bamboo shoots stuck under my fingernails than have common maintenance done there and wait for hours in the waiting room? Do I just tell them that? I think a lot of Volt owners have had similar experiences with Chevy dealers. When will they get the message?

(edit): Thinking back on this incident, the memory is coming back. I never got the tires rotated. I waited a few hours and then asked for my car and took off. So I don't think I've ever got any routine maintenance done at my dealer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Spending hours for simple service is unusual.
When you call for an appointment ask the service person for the least busy time.
Many dealerships now have fast bays for oil changes and tire rotations. I have been less than one hour for these types of service.
Call your Volt advisor and get the address of someone to write a complaint to. Companies are trying to entice owners in with 2 years free service. Your experience is not what they want and could lead to some action.
Many tire shops offer free rotations to past customers and there are plenty of oil change places. The Chevy dealer is necessary for some of the complex things but not the simple ones. Dealer should be earning your business.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would also see if they have a Courtesy Vehicle that would take you to/from a place. My dealer is so close that I can have them drive me home and pick me on (on weekdays only unfortunately). This way I do not wait either.

However, I would say an hour to 2 hour wait is about standard for most things that I have done with the Volt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
...However, I would say an hour to 2 hour wait is about standard for most things that I have done with the Volt.
I've found that it takes my dealer 2 hours to do anything. Last time I got my tires rotated, it took 2 hours and they forgot to reprogram the TPMS system to tell it where the wheels are.

Instead of going back, I bought the relearn tool earlier than I would have otherwise and did it myself.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I recommend reading the "Scheduled Maintenance" items in the owner manual, and see what items you can do yourself. I can do almost all the items for my 2009 Chevy Equinox, except rotate the tires, but I have a family-run tire shop nearby (its name is "La Familia Tire Shop"!) that rotates my tires quickly as I watch for a small cost. I can walk to my tire shop (I have walked passed it several times) because it is very close, but I have to bring my vehicle for tire rotations and fixes. I do the TPMS reprogramming in my garage.

The dealer may do some for free, but you have to compare and decide what is more valuable: your money or your time (including travel).

When I buy my first BEV, the tires will be my only big item to check and service, and I have that item solved. Guess how much time and money I will save!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
As we get into the BEV market, the tires will be my only big item to check and service
I think that the long range BEV will still also have a cooling system for some time to come.

but as to the OP, My in shop time has varied from about 20 minutes to about an hour and a half when they had to redo something (none of this was with the Volt yet).

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I think that the long range BEV will still also have a cooling system for some time to come.

but as to the OP, My in shop time has varied from about 20 minutes to about an hour and a half when they had to redo something (none of this was with the Volt yet).
I have not taken our Volt to a Chevy dealer for any reason so far. When I do, I will use the closest dealer (about 5 miles away) rather than the dealer I purchased the Volt. If I can get off my butt I will take it in for the Android auto install. Hopefully, it won't take two hours, but if it does, I hope there is free wifi in the waiting room with some refreshments. The Nissan LEAF dealer is very efficient with time. Perhaps one reason is that Nissan sends me a survey regarding the visit. The service staff wants all "10's" in the survey so they are very responsive. Does Chevy send a customer satisfaction survey as a follow up to a service visit?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Funny this thread should appear today. I just finished my second review of my dealer for this very issue not fifteen minutes ago. Not a nice review either. I firmly believe that if you have an appointment (I always do) then every effort should be made to adhere to as normal a schedule as possible for those who have appointments. Those that drop in unannounced for a quick oil change or whatever, get in line behind me not in front.

I figured an oil change and annual inspection would be about 90 minutes max. The service guy said 75 minutes but I didn't think so. two and a half hours later and I'm fuming as I've had to push back other commitments because my car wasn't ready. The waiting room had filled and emptied three times! Their excuse? It's been a bad week! Guess what? Now I'm having a bad week! And my reviews reflect that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've gotten around the waiting game by dropping off the Volt the night before my appointment and picking it up after work the next day.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My dealer has a dedicated lube/tire lane, but I just dropped it off in the morning, get a shuttle to work and they pick me up after work and it's all done.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have an appointment. That's why it's so puzzling. It's only a couple of miles away. Having a shuttle take you home and pick you up for a 15-minute job is insane. However, I decided I will always use the shuttle for everything and not wait. I only use the dealer for the free recall stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will do everything in my power to avoid paying someone to do something I can do myself. This
Might be the first car that forces that out of me, but I'll be damned if I get poor service during such an event.

"Do I look like someone who would waste my time?" - Robert California

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts