GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was the first real hot day we had (100 degrees) since I purchased my Volt back in November.

I am used to my garage heating up and getting really stuffy after I'd park a car in there from a long drive in the summer.

But yesterday I went in my garage after I'd parked my Volt there, and it remained rather cool in there!

My car was a little warm to the touch after being on the freeway in rush hour traffic heading home from work, but it's nothing like the heat I've experienced after parking your typical ICE car in the garage.

All in all, it was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The heat exists back at the electric generating plant unless of course the source is wind, solar or water generated. In Ontario Canada, we have a lot of hydro electric and wind generation and all coal was converted to NG. Progress.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Cool. Garage compared. To driving a warmed up ice into the garage, but plug in your charger and the volt has to dissipate the heat of charging through the radiator, thus heating the garage. I've come back to find the garage uncomfortably warm. I'm tempted to buy one of those portable AC standalone AC units that doesn't sit in a window.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I kept my garage cool by covering the roof with solar panels. Even with unfinished rafter (no attic space), it is remarkably cooler now.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I kept my garage cool by covering the roof with solar panels. Even with unfinished rafter (no attic space), it is remarkably cooler now.
Similar construction here. I measured 130 degrees near the highest point on hot days, like say 90 degrees outside.

I installed one of those solar powered exhaust fans and the temps dropped like a rock. Today it's only 80 out, but it's only 8 degrees warmer under the roof with black shingles...

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm tempted to buy one of those portable AC standalone AC units that doesn't sit in a window.
Two things:
ANY vehicle with a tiny engine and a correspondingly small radiator will carry less heat into the garage; this one even less because it doesn't run all the time.

Those "portable" A/C units with a single hose are a cruel joke because they exhaust a fair amount of air through the hose and the replacement air comes in through air leaks in the outer shell of the room/building. If you are serious about a portable cooling unit, get one with TWO hoses to the window.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Two things:
ANY vehicle with a tiny engine and a correspondingly small radiator will carry less heat into the garage; this one even less because it doesn't run all the time.

Those "portable" A/C units with a single hose are a cruel joke because they exhaust a fair amount of air through the hose and the replacement air comes in through air leaks in the outer shell of the room/building. If you are serious about a portable cooling unit, get one with TWO hoses to the window.
In my previous company we had a serious $3k unit to a small room converted into a computer server room where there was aven a water hose with an onboard pump to get rid of the condensation rather than store it in a container that needed to be periodically emptied. Since my windows and skinny and tall and pivot out, even the hoses to the window that require you slide the window pane up and drop it onto the hose with a spacer won[t work. I'm probably poking a hole in the back of my house with whatever unit I get. Another thought is to poke a vent from the house geothermal system to the garage but someone mentioned that might violate code with car fumes potentially entering the duct system wth the geothermal system off. Alas, I keep the geothermal fan running forever to equalize the temps in the house, and if I get both cars to be electric, there will be minimal fumes. Of course none of this stops the neighbors smoke from getting into the house when we have our windows open. I personally think routing a duct should be a non-issuers long as there isn't a return air duct,

·
Registered
767 Posts
Alas, I keep the geothermal fan running forever to equalize the temps in the house,
That is not necessarily a good idea either.
In heating season, no problem.
But when cooling, that tends to return some of the water condensed out of the air when the compressor is not running and will result in higher humidity levels. It can also result in condensation in the duct work and at the registers.
A couple of ceiling fans would be a better plan.

The recent portable units I've looked at exhaust the moisture along with the expelled hot air.
I have not had to worry about dumping water with mine......but did have some spill out when moving it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts