GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I had a very bad experience today with a local dealer today where I took my 2013 Volt for a repair and now I really need to vent out my experience.

Here is a brief summary of what happened.

1. One of my park lamps got damage due to a rock or ice last week and called the dealer to get the part. They quoted me 1 hour of labor at $75 dollars plus part cost. So today I went to have the lamp replaced.

2. Also my rear hatch door struts were leaking and are not able to hold the door up anymore. This should be covered under warranty.

3. At the time I got there the service guy said that I have a recall notice #13202 to service the power inverter module and he said that there is a software update for that. So I agreed to do all repairs.

An hour after the service agent came and told me that the cost to replace my lamp is going to be at least $200 for labor. Because they have to take off the whole front bumper. I said replied saying that they gave me a estimate of $75 and that is way more than what I was planned to pay. After thinking about it I though taking the car to somewhere else to have the lamp replaced. So I told the guy to just to the recall repair and the warranty replacement for the struts.

Here is the problem:
I was mad already that they did not stood around their quote and tried to charge me almost 3 times more.On my way back home I noticed the electric heating was not working properly. But since I was running on gas I felt warm each time the ICE came on so I did not paid attention. However after a couple hours park in my garage and charged up to half. I decided to take my car for few errands. It was 6 pm and the temperature outside dropped to 17 F. The climate control was in comfort with temperature set at 86. No warm air coming out. Energy usage only 12%. Called On star for diagnostic. Nothing came out. Called the Volt Advisor and he instructed me to use the car on HOLD mode until I get it into service... WOW this was my worst experience ever... I drove for 30 min back home in very cold cabin temperature. Not sure how low. But I don't even wish it to my worst enemy....

Another issue. I just notice the touchscreen is not working neither.

Could the update caused issues to heating system and the touchscreen?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry to hear of your difficult day. The inverter software update should not have negatively effected anything. The notice for this came out in September and the dealers are doing it when Volt owners bring there cars in for other reasons. I got my inverter update when I brought the Volt in for tire rotation. But ... The service manager did tell me that when they do a software update its a complete download which includes the inverter fix. It is possible that you dealer had an issue with the download, and may not be aware of it, which is causing your new issues. My suggestion is to contact the dealer, it may be as simple as redoing the software download. Another thought, when you get these issues resolved, find another dealer who is better at giving estimates and sticking to them.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
2. Also my rear hatch door struts were leaking and are not able to hold the door up anymore. This should be covered under warranty.
Tell me more about this one. I'm having what may be the same issue - but it seems worse when it's cold. I got whacked on my head by the hatch (and that was no fun - 4 minute minor if it were a hockey game; drew blood).

I have an extended warranty (beyond original 3/36) and it should be covered as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell me more about this one. I'm having what may be the same issue - but it seems worse when it's cold. I got whacked on my head by the hatch (and that was no fun - 4 minute minor if it were a hockey game; drew blood).

I have an extended warranty (beyond original 3/36) and it should be covered as well.
Ron C.

It hit my head too with the hatch door and I lost vision for few seconds. It happened when the temperatures were below cero F. Basically they lost holding force. Very dangerous if you have kids around.
Sounds like a concussion is what happened to us. Luckily nothing worst.

Today they visually checked the struts that holds the door. They said they are leaking oil and needs to be changed. The dealer had to order them. It seems they are very cheap like 12 dollars each. And they should be easy to install, by them of course.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Called the Volt Advisor and he instructed me to use the car on HOLD mode until I get it into service... WOW this was my worst experience ever... I drove for 30 min back home in very cold cabin temperature. Not sure how low. But I don't even wish it to my worst enemy....
Perhaps next time you'll simply do as the Volt Adviser suggested to avoid the "worst experience ever." Asking for advice and then ignoring it is... well... how to put it kindly? Silly?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
1. One of my park lamps got damage due to a rock or ice last week and called the dealer to get the part. They quoted me 1 hour of labor at $75 dollars plus part cost. So today I went to have the lamp replaced.
There is a repair book that quotes the hours for the dealer. For instance I would have asked to see the book rate to R&R the parking lamp. This is the amount that GM would pay for the repair for warranty work and they should know how long it takes.

It sure would be nice to have that data public some place to prevent the stealers from hitting you.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Wow, does anybody know if the bumper really has to come off, just to change the parking lamp? That seems excessive, could the dealer be pulling your leg?

My experience with changing out GM corner markers, parking lamps, taillamps, headlamps, and foglamps has always been pretty simple -- just unplug the wiring harness and swap out the bulb, then put it back in... or at worst, remove a couple of screws and pivot out the assembly.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Wow, does anybody know if the bumper really has to come off, just to change the parking lamp? That seems excessive, could the dealer be pulling your leg?
From pg.1091 of the 2012 Chevrolet Volt Opel Ampera Service Manual,
Front Indicator Lamp Replacement - Volt
Preliminary Procedures
1. Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Removal and Installation : Volt → Ampera .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps next time you'll simply do as the Volt Adviser suggested to avoid the "worst experience ever." Asking for advice and then ignoring it is... well... how to put it kindly? Silly?
I did what he told me. But for your information he ICE engine does not stay on all time under hold mode when you are driving city. It comes on and off. And the warm air is not enough when is on. Lucky you live in Arizona... Have you been in a place where is 17F without heating?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL. For sure, you have a flair for drama. At least you were driving.[/
Yes, I was exaggerating a bit...
Your from Pensilvania. I bet you have never driven a car without heating these days... Try to do it for 30 minutes and come back to tell me. Specially when you have your small kids with you.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I did what he told me. But for your information he ICE engine does not stay on all time under hold mode when you are driving city. It comes on and off. And the warm air is not enough when is on. Lucky you live in Arizona... Have you been in a place where is 17F without heating?
Yes I have, actually. I lived in Idaho for several years when I was poor and drove broken cars. But that's beside the point (and yes, I know precisely how the Volt functions in Hold. Like it is supposed to.) If you followed the Volt Adviser's advice (a point you did not make clear) then I apologize for my remark. If your car's heating system is not functioning properly, call the Volt adviser again and have them make an appointment for you to get it fixed. The car is under warranty. And if you are not getting service from your original dealer that you find acceptable, let the Adviser know that too. The Adviser team can do a lot to help you if you let them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hocus

We are in the Chicago NEAR Western suburbs also and have two dealers that are pretty good with service. Not sure if you went to a dealer near Elgin but let us know which one you went to.

Sorry for such service but $200 to change a light bulb. Ouch

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
@hocus

I'm near Elgin - I've had pretty good luck at Don McCue in St. Charles (I'm hopeful this isn't the dealer you had problems with). Their Volt technician, Earl, is THE MAN!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Removing the fascia and the whole bumper are two different things. It must not be that hard to remove the fascia. I can't imagine GM would design a car that took an hour or more to replace a bulb. If so then shame on them. Isn't this bult an LED? Aren't most of the bulbs LED on the Volt? If there aren't again shame on GM. If they are they shouldn't be burning out at least not in the first 5 years or more. Maybe it is a connection problem.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Removing the fascia and the whole bumper are two different things. It must not be that hard to remove the fascia. I can't imagine GM would design a car that took an hour or more to replace a bulb. If so then shame on them. Isn't this bult an LED? Aren't most of the bulbs LED on the Volt? If there aren't again shame on GM. If they are they shouldn't be burning out at least not in the first 5 years or more. Maybe it is a connection problem.
You must be too young to remember those cars that you had to dismount the motor to change the back two plugs on the V8...:)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I can see if you are replacing the parking lamp assembly you might have to remove the bumper cover.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the procedure how to replace the turn signal assembly.

For everyones information. I am attaching a picture of the broken lamp and the instructions that I found online on how to replace it. Hope this will help others to estimate how much labor it will required to replace it.

View attachment how to replace Turn signal assembly.pdf Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Light Car

This procedure is to replace the whole assembly. To replace the bulb is different, i believe you have to remove the wheels and the wheel well covers.

Yes, The Volt design is complicated to service...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts