GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the threads on replacing the backup camera on the 2013 and older with the 2014 model and see a substantial improvement.

However before I do that, does anyone know if I can replace the camera with an even better camera (aftermarket) that has guidelines and even better quality.

Im talking about something I can just plug in where the old one was, not re-run wires to the lcd panel.

thanks

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have read all the threads on replacing the backup camera on the 2013 and older with the 2014 model and see a substantial improvement.

However before I do that, does anyone know if I can replace the camera with an even better camera (aftermarket) that has guidelines and even better quality.

Im talking about something I can just plug in where the old one was, not re-run wires to the lcd panel.

thanks
Is that the right year for the camera change? My 2012 has what seems to be an acceptable picture without too much glare, and DOES have steerable guide-lines. I'm wondering if changing a 2013 camera for a 2014 might result in no actual difference at all...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, ok I dont have nav if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have guidelines in my 2012, but have nav. I wonder if the nav-part makes a difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a white diamond tricoat, which is one of the colors eligible for camera replacement, so I had it done. Big improvement. I seem to recall that the bumper needs to be taken off and then replaced in order to replace the camera. So if you are planning to DIF, there's that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far no one has replaced the factory one with an after market, I am getting a price from the chevy place, I just know thats gonna be $$$$

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I read through the camera threads about half a year ago and I recall discussion of getting an aftermarket camera that could add guidelines. It would not plug into the harness, so you have to splice to the correct wires. Also, removing the bumper seemed like a huge hassle. But I think the cameras were affordable and there was nothing else to buy or alter. I don't have the details any more and my memory may be faulty, but if that is what you are after, some searching might turn it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts