GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was the first full day with my new 2017 Volt (picked it up late yesterday so didn't do much with it last night). Mostly I have figured everything out, including Android Auto with my Nexus 6. So when I discovered that indeed there are no garage door openers, I am hoping that Android Auto can help in the future. Since I have MyQ capable Liftmaster garage doors, I sometimes use my Android phone to open and close the garage doors. I'm hoping that Android Auto will include the garage door opening functions in the future. Meanwhile, I'll just clip the garage door opener on the sun visor.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Rather than clip it, take the clip off and use two sided tape to affix it to the visor, actually the mirror cover on the visor. There is an indent in the headliner right there and the opener will go right in it so that the visor is nearly flush. You don't even need to pull the visor down to press the switch. Just put your finger in the indent space.

While I think not having HomeLink is bush league, I actually prefer the set up just described. I just reach up without looking to open and close. With HomeLink I actually had to look where I was pressing.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I never need a garage door opener, because I have no garages, or doors. Just have two concrete carports with two columns up front and one wall in the back (the home). I see my neighbors enclose ther carports into garages and put expensive doors and remote openers, but then they fill those new garages with household stuff and leave ther cars outside. Ironic and foolish, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Gentex mirrors can be found used most days with the pig tail and shipping for $50...Set up a new listing ebay alert and they're known to go to $35 shipped...

The problem with relying on your phone is it can break, get stolen, lost, accidently left behind and in many states simply holding a cell phone in your hand while on a public road is a fine...

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I never need a garage door opener, because I have no garages, or doors. Just have two concrete carports with two columns up front and one wall in the back (the home). I see my neighbors enclose ther carports into garages and put expensive doors and remote openers, but then they fill those new garages with household stuff and leave ther cars outside. Ironic and foolish, isn't it?
I keep my garage as clutter-free as I can, and I have balls on strings hanging down from the rafters so I can use them as reference points to easily stop both my cars in precise locations where I know I can throw the doors open and they won't hit anything.

I love my garage door opener and I'm especially thankful for having an enclosed space every time I read about rodents or other critters infesting a car and munching on it's critical systems.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a keyfob door opener, put some double side tape on it, and attached to the left of the light that shines down on the USB ports. You can't even tell it's there, and it's easy to get to the button.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I keep my garage as clutter-free as I can, and I have balls on strings hanging down from the rafters so I can use them as reference points to easily stop both my cars in precise locations where I know I can throw the doors open and they won't hit anything.

I love my garage door opener and I'm especially thankful for having an enclosed space every time I read about rodents or other critters infesting a car and munching on it's critical systems.
We went with laser parking guides. You line them up and then you pull in until the red laser dot lines up to the correct spot on your dash. They help with both fore and aft and side to side positioning.

They have motion sensors but we also run them off the light in the garage door opener so we don't have them going off if just walking around in the garage with the door closed.

We have one unit with two lasers for both our cars, $25.

Maxsa Innovations 37312 Park Right Dual Garage Laser Park

·
Registered
678 Posts
I velcroed mine to the left side of the upper support in the area where the usb ports and stowage bin is. It is invisible there and my hand automatically falls to it... I find that location to be the most convenient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts