GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - newbie here. I've had my 2013 Crystal Red Volt for 4 weeks now and i've been very pleased with the car. Getting almost 50 miles of range on a charge (thanks to traffic). Opened the hood the other day and there was a ton of pollen/dirt/dust inside the engine compartment. The heaviest concentration is where the hood gasket sits in front of the chrome front fascia. It looks as though the dirt is getting past the weatherstripping. Car was detailed inside and out when i picked it up and the hood latch was locked when i opened it. maybe a bad gasket, but it looks like its in great shape. Not sure if this is a warranty issue since Im not the 1st owner. couldn't find much online about the Volt's OEM hood gaskets, what they should look like, what aftermarket gasket look like or how they perform.

Anyone else having this same issue? just worried about all that dirt around the high voltage components.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Welcome.

Post a picture.

If the engine compartment was 'detailed' by the seller, they may have used a coating on the plastic parts which can cause things to stick to them. I doubt it's a gasket issue, unless the front end was repaired at some point and things may not be as true as they should be?

Tough to say based on the details provided.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What you've described is normal. The engine compartment is not sealed, there's a ton of airflow going through there in normal operation, so dust and dirt go with that airflow.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
^What he said. If the engine compartment was sealed, it would overheat very quickly. The gasket is simply do prevent air from entering under the hood, and optimize airflow around the car.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm a neat freak and this same effect bugs me especially during pollen season. I use my air compressor and a cheap knock-off version of those disposable dusters to keep things looking neat especially since my Volt is such a rarity that people always want to look under the hood so I try to keep it looking neat.

Wish I could clean up the orange cables better though, mine are a little stained these days.

"dressing" sprays like Armor all and the like will make the effect even worse by giving the particles a sticky surface to build up on, however detailing spray and a few microfiber cloths also work well for a good cleanup though you will have to wash, or even throw away the cloths depending on what's trapped under your hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the feedback. good to know that this is a normal occurrence and that it won’t adversely affect the car.

As for the name/handle… it’s all i could come up with on short notice!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts