GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

question: anyone else getting dents on their hood?

The dents are located right at the front center. I caused them 2 days after I got the car. Popped the hood to show my dad the inner workings of the car and when I tried to close the hood, I did what I always did, placed my palms on the edge and pushed down. Not only did the hood refuse to close, but two small dents appeared (cant seem to get a good picture of it)

Anyone else get these? anyone know an easy way to pull them out?

Even the dealer added to the dents when I've taken the car in. They did the same thing I did.

common issue?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
hello all,

The dents are located right at the front center. I caused them 2 days after I got the car. Popped the hood to show my dad the inner workings of the car and when I tried to close the hood, I did what I always did, placed my palms on the edge and pushed down. Not only did the hood refuse to close, but two small dents appeared (cant seem to get a good picture of it)

Anyone else get these? anyone know an easy way to pull them out?

Even the dealer added to the dents when I've taken the car in. They did the same thing I did.

common issue?
Yes...that's why your owners manual has specific instructions on how to close the hood...:rolleyes:
Page 10-7 in the 2013 manual...
To close the hood:
1. Before closing the hood, check that all filler caps are properly installed. Then, lift the hood to relieve pressure on the
hood prop.
2. Remove the hood prop from the slotted retainer in the hood and return it to its retainer above the radiator support. The prop rod must lock into place when returning it to the retainer to prevent hood damage.
3. Lower the hood 20 cm (8 in) above the vehicle and release it so it fully latches. Check to make sure the hood is firmly closed. Repeat the process if necessary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Aluminum hood so we all learn the hood drop method. Do Not Push To Close, depending how new and tight it is drop the hood from about a foot or so it closes perfectly. No dents.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The hood is made from aluminum and you should NEVER EVER use your hands to push down on the hood to get it to latch.

Let gravity work, drop it from about 8" above the latch.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I feel really bad for the OP as I didn't know about the require hood drop method. I think I tried to close it by latching then pushing and when I felt how bendable the metal was I released and used the hood drop method. I was just a paranoid new car owner avoiding anything drastic. Just necked my hood, still no dings

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had a few dings on my hood from rocks. $50.00 and 20 minutes later they were all gone thanks to a paintless dent removal company.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If the dealer added dents too, they should repair the damage they cause. Maybe they can repair the damage you caused while they are at it.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I'm tempted to plastidip my entire car, partially to help with rocks and partially because the paint colors are so bland. Just need to get through my wife's to do list first.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Aluminum hood. As others and the owners manual say, drop to close, don't push to close.

I'm tempted to plastidip my entire car, partially to help with rocks
I had the 3M Scotchguard clear bra film added to my front hood, bumper, partial side fender, sideview mirror skullcaps, top of rear bumper and the door edges. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
hello all,..

Th...
Anyone else get these? ...
common issue?
Mine came new with one.
Funny though, for 40 years I have been drop closing hoods. I think I must have had a bad experience as a teenager closing a hood an scratching it or something like that...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discovered a dent in the hood yesterday when detailing the car.
As I have always dropped the hood, suspect the dealer did the dent when servicing the car last time.
Too late to have them fix it now, they will say I did it:(
Hoping it can be fixed for $50 or I will get dinged for it when returning the next year.
Any recommendation for a Dent Doctor in South Florida?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Be glad that you got a hood dent that paintless dent repair can fix!

Mine had a rock hit it back at the back ridge running parallel to the windshield (between washer nozzles). Took off the paint and left a big dent in that ridge crease.

Seems like that scooped out area of the hood would be very vulnerable to those kind of hits. I'm surprised that more people don't have them.

Here's hoping that's a design element removed from the Gen 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts