GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivers who idle while stopped face fines. Electric cars like the Chevy Volt are exempt, allowing drivers continued air conditioning in Hong Kongs hot weather.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/73600/idling-engine-ban/

I heard one company is already announcing solar panel retrofits to power cars A/C.

HKtraffic.jpg

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Despite the potential difficulty in enforcing a rule with this much complexity, setting a standard of behavior will be a step toward improving air quality in HK.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have to think they have similar rules for idling trucks - which seem to have a far bigger impact than cars (per vehicle). Here, my pet peve is the # of idling trucks and cars who can simply shut them off for the 10-15 minute stop they are doing. I was at my daughter's track practice last week and was in the car watching the kids. A father pulled in chatted with people and waited for something and idled his Ram 1500 for 20 minutes while waiting, then drove off and came back 10 minutes later and then shut it off for the duration of his stay. Mornings, at the local convenience stores, there are tens of utility trucks who hang out there idling. Many stores have put up signs to say no idling in this area...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wow! Those rules sound very complicated, especially with the 3 minutes per hour exception. Do they announce when the air temp is "too hot", and everyone is allowed to idle to keep their AC running?
I don't know what the best solution might be... I just can't imagine shutting off my car every block, waiting xx seconds then restart, drive a block, repeat.
In colder weather, might that be worse for the air quality, as the catalytic converter would take longer to warm up, especially on very small engines?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Don't some european cities "tax" ICE vehicles if they go into certain parts of the city centers?? I heard that's why the european Volt has the HOLD feature to allow someone to use the ICE to get to the city, then switch it to Normal and run all electric.

Seems the politicians and laws will help with EV car sales, they just need to include building te EV infrastructure in the same laws.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Good for Hong Kong. I shut my S-10 off at stop lights all the time. It has used up 1 starter and 2 batteries in 270K miles.

I fear that it would take a BIG solar panel to run the AC in a car. It might look like a winged sprint car, LOL. If even that would do it.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
This really is "stop-start" technology and is supposed to be the "next big thing" (such as eAssist) for the decades to come in conjested cities. Stop-start really does nothing for highway commuting and also - what happens in stop/go conjested highway commuting? I might consider shutting off the stop-start feature if I was stop and go on the California 101 or whatever else is stand-still unless it was nice and seamless (like a golf cart with an ICE).

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This really is "stop-start" technology and is supposed to be the "next big thing" (such as eAssist) for the decades to come in conjested cities.
My thought too (think Prius). Of course the Volt and Leaf and Ford Focus Electric are just on a different level here.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
To put this into perspective, this month's issue of Road and Track has a story titled "3,900,000,000 gallons of gasoline...this is the amount of fuel wasted each year in the U.S. by idling vehicles". The article goes on to discuss start-stop technology, and mentions GMs eAssist as one of the best in the industry.

Sorry, I couldn't find a link.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
To put this into perspective, this month's issue of Road and Track has a story titled "3,900,000,000 gallons of gasoline...this is the amount of fuel wasted each year in the U.S. by idling vehicles". The article goes on to discuss start-stop technology, and mentions GMs eAssist as one of the best in the industry.

Sorry, I couldn't find a link.
There you go! I'm doing my best to help, LOL.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Good for Hong Kong. I shut my S-10 off at stop lights all the time. It has used up 1 starter and 2 batteries in 270K miles.

I fear that it would take a BIG solar panel to run the AC in a car. It might look like a winged sprint car, LOL. If even that would do it.
I estimate that an A/C compressor needs about 10 HP or less, so fitting a compressor that runs on an electric motor will save gas, and allows the engine to be shut off and keep the A/C running on battery power for a few minutes. Newer GM vehicles has a battery monitor that will prevent a full discharge, so this will work to save gas for those who need to keep their A/C on while stopped. If the monitor shuts the compressor, then restarting the engine for a few minutes will recharge the battery for another cool down period.

In my case, I am happy to keep the blower on even with the engine off, since it takes minutes for the interior temperature to rise high enough to need the compressor on again. So I save gas as I can tolerate 90F in a vehicle without any bother, and I live in sunny (and hot) Puerto Rico.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we are seeing the slow progression from wasteful fuel designs to smart cars that conserve fuel, recapture brake energy, etc. Yes, there will be those that scream that their "freedom" to be wasteful is being impinged, but in general efficiency creeps into most things, particularly when it comes to consumables.

Was there ever a time someone proudly boasted about how much toner their inkjet printer wasted when *not* printing? Cars that waste gas when not moving are in the same league in my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts