GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
n Washington, hydrogen was selling for $8.18 per kilogram, meaning a driver would spend that much to travel 72 miles in the Clarity. A four-cylinder Honda Accord with an automatic transmission gets 24 mpg combined, so a driver would use three gallons of gasoline — spending about $3.30 a gallon, or almost $10 — to travel the same distance.
Yawn.

72 miles == 1.8 charges at 80 cents / charge or $1.44 in a Volt or similar REEV. Even if you had to do part of the distance on gas its still an order of magnitude cheaper than hydrogen.

And who knows what the real cost of that hydrogen is. I'm guessing its highly subsidized.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The only reason I can think of that companies are wasting time and money on hydrogen is the ZEV law in California.

IIRC, California will soon REQUIRE a car company to produce a ZEV in order to sell ANY vehicle in the state. Since California is about the 8th largest economy in the world, no big time car manufacturer wants to be frozen out!

So the hydrogen car from Honda is in my opinion simply a cop out to fulfill that requirement even though no one will ever buy one. They will lease it at $600 / month to a select group of Hollywood insiders at a huge loss in order to stay in the market and to get a lot of feel good publicity.

Its all a big marketing scam.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts