GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working with my HOA to develop 1. an electrical vehicle charger installation application form. and 2. a consent to alter form. If anyone already has one of these available, I would appreciate a copy. We're using the Colorado law as guidance here:

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/A59A32ABE3B4AD2287257AEE0058ED4A?Open&file=126_enr.pdf

We've basically gotten to the point that the association is willing to allow the installation, but would like to create a document that calls out some of the requirements from that Colorado law such as:

- The owner is responsible for all costs.
- Upon transfer of ownership, the unit can be disasembled, sold to the new owner, or sold the the association
- The owner must obtain insurance with the association called out as a recipient
- etc, per the Colorado law.

Again, I'd appreciate a copy of any similar documents that have already been used with HOAs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Installation WHERE?

Do you need your HOA's permission to install an EVSE in your garage or on your property, or are you talking about a more public/community area?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Regardless of what you write, make sure the HOA has a final review and approval from an attorney, Home owner Joe or HOA board members shouldn't be making legal documents, it can turn into all sorts of issues for the HOA later that in the end will cost all members money to pay to resolve. Also the document can't be in conflict with your current recorded covenants, just saying as someone whom has been 10 years on HOA boards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installation WHERE?

Do you need your HOA's permission to install an EVSE in your garage or on your property, or are you talking about a more public/community area?
The EVSE would be on a common wall outside the condo complex. It is an apartment conversion building, so all of the exterior facing walls are common.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to get outlets installed? Then the EV owner can use their own EVSE.

(Heck, in Michigan, don't you still use block heaters?)

Who pays for the electricity since it is a common area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't it be easier to get outlets installed? Then the EV owner can use their own EVSE.

(Heck, in Michigan, don't you still use block heaters?)

Who pays for the electricity since it is a common area?
The EV owner would install their own EVSE, that is the goal. According to an electrician, you're not allowed to install a 220V outlet outside for use with an EVSE. It must be hardwired.

The electricity will be metered directly to the EV / Condo owner.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Maybe the Condo Association should be a bit proactive and install a few of these. What happens when your neighbors see you and say me too! :)

Also need to figure out provisions for reservation and enforcement of the spots so that the EV owners can rely on them being available when needed. Tow zone with a towing company contract seems appropriate.

I don't even dare ask my HOA, they are way too conservative and opposed to change. Normally that is a good thing for an HOA :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts