GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So at Xmas I got a couple of cheap 7 in. tablets. I decided to run them in the Volts as a dashcam.

First, I had to create a magnetic mount. I created 2 mounts out of some extra computer pieces I found in a box. Cut them up with tin snips, bent them a couple of times, sanded and painted. Then attached some cheap magnets I found online.

I posted a few pictures. I am able to run both the dashcam and mygreenvoltapp at the same time. The battery on these only last about 6 hours. I would like to leave it running 24/7 but since the Volt power supply in the dash turns off when you turn off the car that is a problem.

Unless anyone know how to hack the 12v power supply in the dash compartment so that it is hot all the time. That would be ideal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure why the pics got rotated but here are a couple more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Very clever application for an old device. I have a few questions...

I am unable to determine how the bracket for the magnet is secured to the dash. Just by closing the little door over it?

Is the magnet strong enough to hold the tablet in position when the car hits a jolt? Does the magnet have a rating? Or perhaps a model number?

Are you concerned that the tablet in the window makes your parked car a target for thieves?

Thanks in advance?

KNS

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't seem like a visual distraction at all
I power off the monitor unless I have mygreenvolt app running. I think this is how all dashcams that have a monitor are setup.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very clever application for an old device. I have a few questions...

I am unable to determine how the bracket for the magnet is secured to the dash. Just by closing the little door over it?

Is the magnet strong enough to hold the tablet in position when the car hits a jolt? Does the magnet have a rating? Or perhaps a model number?

Are you concerned that the tablet in the window makes your parked car a target for thieves?

Thanks in advance?

KNS
Just closing the door over it holds it in place. Seems to hold it just fine. I suppose if it were a problem you could add double sided tape.

Yes the magnet is strong enough to hold it. The tablets are only slightly bigger than my Samsung Note phone and not as heavy.

The magnet is sold on Amazon search for the name or just magnet phone mounts. Used on all types of phone mounts like for air vent mounts etc.

Theft could be an issue. Not concerned at work but I would remove it in other cases were theft could be a problem. I suppose you could say the same thing on more valuable dash cams where folks leave them in the car.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, after further experimentation the wife does not like the tablet there. But occasionally she would like to put her phone there.

Also, I found that the tablet camera was not that good and it will get hot if left there constantly.

I remembered that I had two old Android phones Samsung SGH-T399 which has a much better camera than the tablets. They run like a mini tablet without a SIM card and connect to wifi at home which allows for updates. Also, they are much smaller less than 5" x 3". I think I will mount them close to the review mirror where it is less conspicuous and be shaded. I will have to get a different mount.

I am able to run both the mygreenvolt app connected to my OBD2 BT adapter and run the dashcam software as well. Plus it has GPS so that can be used as well. Definitely more versatile that a regular dashcam. I still have to determine how I am going to provide power. I could run cable along the edge of the windshield to the compartment on the dash but again the power is not on all the time.

I could also run along the dash to one of the fuse boxes on either side of the dash. That would allow for constant power, however I would have to reduce it to 5.25 volts. I remember others on the forum doing something like that. I will have to do some research.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final setup. I used a 12V to 5V converter from Amazon and connect to power going to the Homelink Garage door opener in the overhead. It was quick and easy.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts