GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Spark EV should be here in a week or less, and as I was not paying 100% attention to things, I just realized that there is no Homelink (garage door opener) built in like I have/had in my 2011 Volt. So....

I asked my dealer if there was an option, and they said no. So I went onto Amazon and found a Gentex GENK45a Auto dimming mirror with HomeLink and compass for $279...
Then I went onto eBay, and bought a refurbished Gentex Homelink, Compass, Auto Dim, Universal Mirror Kit (with wiring) for $120. So, I've ordered the ebay option (could have saved $20 and got one without the compass, but I splurged.)

So, I will be documenting my install in this thread as I do it.

Anyone already do this? Any suggestions? What is in the black unit on the windshield by the mirror mount. Is there a safe to tap 12v and ground there? Etc...

My intention is to additionally add a Valentine 1 radar detector and hard-wire that into the car as well, but baby steps first.

Scott

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
What is in the black unit on the windshield by the mirror mount. Is there a safe to tap 12v and ground there? Etc...
If it's like the Volt, that is the radio receiver for the key fob, and (?) the TPMS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what it looks like in my Spark...
Technology Automotive exterior Electronics Bumper Auto part

And from the back seat (to show the whole windshield)...
Vehicle Car Mode of transport Lighting Windshield

So, it's not that much larger, but works well for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's what it looks like in my Spark...
And from the back seat (to show the whole windshield)...
So, it's not that much larger, but works well for me.
Thanks! That's perfect.

How far did you end up running the wires? I assume you had to splice or clamp onto an existing wire?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird. Thought I clicked reply... Yes, I tapped into the ground, accessory, and constant 12v lines that were up in the headliner by the lights, a distance of 12-14 inches of wire total. Was very easy to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed this from Amazon.com: Brandmotion 2000-4103 HomeLink Wireless System (Gray)

I can't post pics or links yet. But I wrote it up on our Southeast U.S. Chevy Spark EV Owners / Fans FB page.

Tried to make it look factory. Think I pulled it off.

-Bob K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts