GM Volt Forum banner

Homelink in the Bolt EV

20K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  scottf200 
#1 · (Edited)
To those of us with the Premier model (which has the rear view camera integrated into the mirror and thus eliminates it as an option for a quick and easy Homelink install), has anyone figured out where would be a good place to add it in? I wondered about placing one of the small 3 button units into the ceiling upholstery just aft of the overhead console. There is a bit of a bulge there which forms a nice empty cavity with nothing in it (I looked).

This is a pic of from another type vehicle, but you can get the general idea:

Just have to figure out a convenient power hookup from the overhead console. Does anyone have a better location scoped out? and/or does anyone have a wiring breakdown for the various circuits in the overhead console ? (preferably not involving Onstar, just the dome lights)

afterthought: I sure miss the days of being able to quickly and simply identify a hot and a ground. Seems like everywhere you look in a new car any more, there is a computer tied to the other end of each wire.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know about the Volt but I added Homelink to a 2015 Impala this Summer. You really have to watch when you are trying to figure which wires have power---some appear to have it but any load takes the voltage to zero---ask me how I know :) . On the Impala, I was able to get 12 volt power from the connector going to the right side reading lamp. This is what feeds the dome/reading lamps and powers the "theater" diming. If the design is similar in the volt, I would probe for the power there and after you find power and ground, slip the ends of your Homelink transmitter into the connector body and reconnect it to the reading lamp. Test to see if it works. The circuit I found in the Impala is switched (off when the car is off) but is in the retained power circuit so like the radio and lamps it is on until a door is opened or it times out. Powering down the Homelink does not cause it to loose memory but be aware that if anyone breaks into your car and opens a door, power will go to the transmitter and allow them to open your garage door. I am going to add Homelink to the Volt when I get around to it and hopefully someone will verify a connection point before I start.

#4 ·
On my Volt I was able to simply replace the rear view mirror with a used rear view mirror with Homelink (from a Kia Optima) and just used the leads from the autodimming mirror. It was super easy! There's a thread with lots and lots of info over in the Volt section.

#7 ·
+1.

The g2 volt thread started by teksavy in late 2015/early 2016 is a detailed step by step procedure that looks like it was built in to the car.

Might work for a bolt as well if your handy and your comfortable taking on this type of project.

Good luck.

#9 ·
My low tech solution is to use the mini-transmitter that came with my opener. It clips or velcro's to the light panel plastic frame. The color is a close match and it's in the same area as the Homelink buttons would be.

Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Auto part Family car

#10 · (Edited)
My low tech solution is to use the mini-transmitter that came with my opener. It clips or velcro's to the light panel plastic frame. The color is a close match and it's in the same area as the Homelink buttons would be.
Was curious about the Bolt (and found this thread) when I saw on FB that more users are DIYing on the GEN II Volt.

Did anyone figure out why GM stopped putting in Homelink into their advanced EVs? (And, yes, the TM3 has it ... although I don't know if it auto-closes the garage door and auto-opens (based on GPS loc) the garage door like the S/X can ... update, yes, just read the TM3 w/premium_opt will do auto-close/open).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.