GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Was disappointed that my new 2017 Volt did not have a way to open my garage door built in.
I Ordered one off of eBay for $25.00, took it to a high end stereo shop and he installed it for no charge because of where I mounted it. It is in the fuse panel door that pops off and is easy to reach., It is right under the dash light dimmer knob, left hand side. Vehicle Car

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, that looks awesome! Reply and share the ebay link if you don't mind. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Looks good but I would bump it with my knee or my wife with her purse. On our Gen 1s she is always hitting the controls by putting her purse beside her. But great solution and great price.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wonder how the range is affected being located down under an open line of site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guarantee your wife could not activate this with her purse nor you with your knee, lol. It takes a finger tip to press the button. This is a very flat item and you either like it for the convenience or prefer to use a garage opener. Good luck with whatever you choose:)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Very cool solution. I think I like that location better than trying to fit it into an overhead position. Seems like it would take less cutting-and-cramming to accomplish.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Very cool solution. I think I like that location better than trying to fit it into an overhead position. Seems like it would take less cutting-and-cramming to accomplish.
I guarantee it would be easier than to put it in the overhead console.
I did that, and that overhead console can be extremely hard to remove...

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is gorgeous. I am doing this ASAP!
I will echo the call for more pictures please, particularly the back side of the panel

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I guarantee your wife could not activate this with her purse nor you with your knee, lol. It takes a finger tip to press the button. This is a very flat item and you either like it for the convenience or prefer to use a garage opener. Good luck with whatever you choose:)
I don't need one, but should I ever get a Gen 2, this is the way to go.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is yours also hooked to a illumination 12V circuit? The other issue with the overhead console is that there is not a 12v illumination circuit anywhere close. And if you look at the console write up it says just skip the illumination circuit or put it with switched 12V. I'm on the fence about this - I would like switched 12V and illumination 12v for backlight.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey all,
Was disappointed that my new 2017 Volt did not have a way to open my garage door built in.
I Ordered one off of eBay for $25.00, took it to a high end stereo shop and he installed it for no charge because of where I mounted it. It is in the fuse panel door that pops off and is easy to reach., It is right under the dash light dimmer knob, left hand side. View attachment 117410
By the way, can you detail where to took the power, and if it is a power source that is only activated when the car is started, or a permanent one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oh and by the way, why is this posted in the wheels and tires section of the forum. Hard to find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there an update with pics of the wiring installation? I'm interested in this solution as well. Right now I have my xmitter clipped to the bottom side of the center console. Not the best place for it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I took the simple route. My very tiny garage remote velcroed under the bin opening. It is invisible from outside and inside the car and your finger falls right on the button.

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Auto part Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 55 Posts